Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-03-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Nerull
Lord Ao

Well, I'm typing this at the computer lab at school right now. Saturday morning, a severe storm tore through San Antonio, and during the storm, my house got hit by lightning. My internet access has been down ever since. When it hit the house, I heard a loud pop, so I think it took out my ethernet card. I'm going to get a new one this week, and if that doesn't work, then I know it is the wiring (I already replaced the cable modem and put in a backup router that I had, with no luck; also changed out all of the external wires, also with no luck). Anyway, I'll probably be gone a couple of days, as I'm not going to come all the way over to school just to get on the internet (my finals are already done).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Woah. Man, if your house got hit by lightning then I'm glad that a fried internet connection was all you suffered. Good luck getting it all back in working order again [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

unlucky man. Good luck with the ethernet.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Ouch! that sound unlucky and expensive Nerull. Get up and running soon OK.... and congrats on finishing with school

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 05-05-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Tyrion
Quintesson

The forces of nature are trying to reduce your online time...take a hint!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Nerull, how's it going? I tried to post yesterday but timed out twice...grrr... anyway, I hope you can get the computer fixed up and that nothing else was damaged by the lightning!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Whoa... bad luck, amigo. I still whole-heartedly recommend whole-house surge suppressors, which you might want to consider. They're rated a lot higher (in terms of protection) than your typical surge suppressor. And if you ever take apart a surge suppressor, you might be surprised at what you see (or don't see). One of mine only protect three outlets, not six, and there was no clue to let you know that...

Have an electrician install it with the electric box, and it protects everything electrical -- computer, refrigerator, stereo, TV, microwave, A/C, and so on. Mine was less than US$200 installed just a couple of years ago.

In any case, good luck getting everything back together, and we'll look forward to your return.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Sucks doesn`t it? Well good luck on your recovery. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-06-2004, 07:40 AM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Well, I'm typing this one at school again (had to stop by for something else, so hopped online at a terminal).

I found out it only fried the ethernet card (only $15.00 US to get a new one). However, I went home, installed it, and then discovered that my landlord still has my line hooked downstairs (modem and router are in his room), and he was gone for the evening (as in all night ). So I had what I needed to get on last night, but couldn't do so. I should be up and running tonight.

Good suggestion, Bungleau. I think I will talk the landlord into doing that. We have been having a lot more heavy storms in Texas the last several years, so it might be a good investment.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 05-07-2004, 01:26 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Glad you like the idea, Nerull. If he balks at the idea, just remind him that it's less than his deductible for his insurance...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.