Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-06-2000, 01:58 PM   #1
Morninglord

Seeing as how I have seen many people misunderstand or mix up the dual-class and the multi-class, I think a little clarification is in order.

Dual-class is when you started out as one profession, but somewhere in your career, you _change_ that profession to become something else. Not until you reach the same level in your new career as you had in the old one, can the benefits of both professions be used. Imoen is an example of a dual-classed character. She started out as a thief, but at level 4(3? I don't remember what thief level she has), she decided that she would want to be a magician instead. So, she changed her profession to become a level 1 magician. Once she reached level 4(the same level as she was previously a thief) she can use _both_ the benefits from the thief class that she earned earlier, aswell as her skills as a magician. However, this does not mean that she improves her skills as a thief (i.e, she doesn't go up in level as a thief), just that she can _use_ the theif skills at the amount they was when she changed her career.

Multi-class then? The name implies more than two professions at once, but this isn't so (except in rare occacions). As opposed to dual-class, multi-class means that you convey two careers at once, that you have chosen to increase your skills at the same time in two different areas. Jaheira is an example of a multi-classed character.

I hope I have been able to be clear enough, yet I know that my english is most meager, my linguistical capabilities in this elaborate language is far surpassed by our more eloquent posters. However, I do think that it is sufficient for you to understand it.

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-06-2000, 02:03 PM   #2
Kaël

Sorry Morning lord but you have made a mistake
Dualclassed characters get there old skills back if the progress class is one level HIGHER then the stopped class thus a level 8 fighter must be a level 9 Thief to get the 5* in long sword back (in case you have put 5* in long swort when you were a fighter like my fghter/thief)
or if you are a level 13 cleric dual to a magician you have to be a level 14 mage to get your cleric spells back (however i would recommand dualling when your level 13 as you'll lose you old class for a long time)

Old 12-06-2000, 02:17 PM   #3
Morninglord

Ah yes yes, Kael, you are correct.

Nitpicky little fellow

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-06-2000, 02:26 PM   #4
Kaël

Ain't
I a Shit
But seriously
I just know otherwise the will be people saying
Hey im a dual level 8 thief level 8 mage why can't hide in the shadow and ahit
Hope you understand where i stand and why my reply
So
Well that's about it
Ima gonna eat now
Byebye

Old 12-06-2000, 05:49 PM   #5
Morninglord

It is not a problem =)

/Morninglord of Sweden

Old 12-07-2000, 02:23 AM   #6
Kaël

This is actually a very useful Topic
Maybe bump it?????
ah well

Old 12-07-2000, 06:39 AM   #7
Merc Widowmaker

BE AWARE ! When intending to make a duel class that there are no conflicts like alihnment between the two class's you intend to use. Also that you're primery abilitie for the second class is very heigh (Dont know the exact number ??).

Old 12-07-2000, 06:58 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You need a prime requisite of 15 in your first class and 17 in your second.
Old 12-07-2000, 01:29 PM   #9
Kaël

Ah yes very interesting
Theres another way to get this info
It's called a handbook
And one can find it either ion the box
or upon full install

Nevertheless
This topic is useful

Old 12-07-2000, 01:39 PM   #10
Glorick the Half-Orc

Mem, that is the AD&D rules... Look at Anomen - he has 12 Wisdom in his second class, "Cleric". You'll find this implementation of the rules is not consistant.

Also Imoen was higher than lvl 4 as a thief, I think she was level 6. I don't know about the rest of you, but I did the same thing to her in BG1, my first time through. Most people who played BG1 didn't really understand dual-classing, and even fewer used it. I went nuts on the boards explaining it, hehe. In BG2 is is a bigger deal bc you can achieve that higher level in the first chapter.

I'm gonna try and finish the game with 2 chars - Dual Ranger(9)/Cleric and Multi Illusionist/Thief. Took the cap out. Should be a fun challenge.