Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2001, 02:35 PM   #1
One-Eyed Jack

I'm looking for everyone's opinion on the true class than can do ANYTHING, not a super god, but can do a bit of everything. The thing that turns me away from a thief class or bard class is that even though they get a high 2 weapon style, they STILL CAN'T HIT ANYTHING! The Ranger is pretty decent as he can weild 2 weapons and cast spells, but the levels he gets his spells they aren't all that great, plus he can hide in the shadows. They could even be dual class or Multi-Class, but in general a class that can do just about anything. (Fight good, cast spells, thief skills, etc etc.)

Old 01-03-2001, 02:51 PM   #2
One ANGRY lil' man

I'm liking my assassin I got his cha up to 22 with the nymph cloak and sword of roses. Hah playing a high cha charecter for the hell of it. But thats the fun its the diversity of skills that makes you NEED a full party not one single charecter will dominate.

Old 01-03-2001, 02:56 PM   #3
One-Eyed Jack

Heh, I am not a person that likes groups that much. All they seem to do is get me killed half the time and get stuck in some of the most "No possible way you can get stuck there" places if you know what I mean. I like a bit of everything myself. The assasin was awesome the first time I played him but later on, he couldn't hit ANYTHING!! Thats what really makes me mad. Only a grandmaster in the arts can actually do damage with a weapon! Hah! Actually, I take that back. My ranger with Lifestealer +4 and the Blackwood Club (is that the name of the one you get in trade meet?) Anyways, he can REALLY do some damage with his 18/00 str (lucky roll). The club and the dagger can do some MASSIVE DAMAGE Together plus the basic spells.

Old 01-03-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
Kalgrog

Hmm, you don't have to be a grandmaster to do damage. My half-orc barbarian using Lilacor and only lvl 10 does mid 20s and low 20s just for regular hits, plus he gets critical hits A LOT! Which I think I saw some 40 damage hits. He gets 3/2 attacks. He has only one point in 2hand weapon style and one point in 2hand weapons.

Another note, it is relatively easy to get great stats! As long as you are patient. I spent about an hour or so just rolling my stats for my barb and it paid off. I used no cheats or anything like that, just have to move the numbers to the stats you want the highest. I ended up with a 19 str, 18 dex, 19 con, 10 int, 18 wis, and like a 12 cha though he has the cha ring and nymph cloak which make his cha 20 now. He is a badass mofo. That was the best roll I could get. Though every once in a while I would get a good one and store it then decide to go back to it and hit store again erasing the good one and making me have to start all over again! Maybe one hour was cutting it a little, I probably spent over that.

Anyway, he has -3 ac only right now, but he has 147 hps. I like him. But I agree there is no "master of all class." There would be no point to other classes if there was. Actually, you could just go play UO if that is what you want.

Old 01-03-2001, 03:34 PM   #5
One-Eyed Jack

Haha, I remember UO, Grandmaster Mage, Tactics, Swords, Anatomy, Healing, 100 str 100 int, grandmaster meditate, the whole works. Now that was a super god. I'm just talking something that kidna dips his hand into everything. But not particulary good at any of them. Like the multiclass fighter/mage/thief and so on. But a individual class.

Old 01-03-2001, 03:44 PM   #6
G.W.

It's a waste to become a grandmaster. YOu only get +1 to hit, +1 damage over someone specialized. It's the THACO that comes in with being a fighter that makes the difference. The Blade is the only true class who can do it all, I think. He has fairly good mage skills that match that of a multiclass mage. Give him the katana that gives him four extra spells. More importantly, he has the potential to be the best fighter in the game. The reason is a level 6 spell called Tensar's Transformation. Read up on it. With doubled hit points, the Blade will boast about 200 hp, a THACO of a level 18+ fighter, +4 to hit, +4 damage, maximum damage per hit, 3 attacks per round dual wielding, -8 or better AC, when combined with an offensive spin. He will run with exceptional speed. Just give him a girdle of giant strength so he's not stuck with his piddly 18 strength.

Old 01-03-2001, 04:07 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

One ANGRY lil man was right on.

D&D is about putting together a group (a squad, if you will) of people whose skills compliment each other to build a greater whole. Sure, you can probably build some good jack-of-all-trades versatile characters that will be useful, but it really defeats the role-playing intent of D&D.
No one class in D&D is meant to be able to deal with every situation. Even a multiclass fighter/thief/mage (the ultimate swiss army knife character, I suppose) will be a great deal of trouble in many situations where his lack of experience in any specific skill set hurt him. I'd really suggest learning how to manage your party of NPC's.

If you're having trouble with your NPC's in battle, then I'd suggest that you turn off the party AI and control their actions yourself. I never let the party AI control my NPC's.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:47 PM   #8
G.W.

I don't think One-Eyed Jack has had any problem with party control. In fact, I believe he won the game soloing. Anyway he's just asking what the best PURE class is that can do anything.

Oh yeah, the half-orc fighter-thief is incredibly powerful as well. But we're omitting dual class, aren't we? I imagine any half orc thief is going to be pretty potent (half orc swashbuckler is sort of the equivalent).

Old 01-03-2001, 08:55 PM   #9
Sabre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

G'day!

My Fighter/ Mage/ Cleric character has paid off.
His HP are not brilliant (67, I'm just in chapter 7), but with the flail of ages, a good shield & cloak he is just about unstoppable. I had to nuture him early on but he is now one tough cookie. Quite resistant to magic etc and does not get damaged often (I regularly use him as a frontline fighter, plus his cleric & mage spells are useful). He often kills monsters quicker than Minsc, and doesn't get hit as often.

In summary I am very happy with this character!

Caramon - Fighter-Mage-Cleric extradionaire
Old 01-03-2001, 09:19 PM   #10
Armisael

My character's a fighter-mage (12-15). He's not really a primary mage, having only one level seven memorization, but it was either level twelve fighter and level fifteen mage or level ten fighter and level sixteen mage, so I took the option that gave me better saving throws, being a fighter first and foremost. The idea is he memorizes a slew of mirror images and stoneskins, and he's untouchable by physical attacks. Works pretty well. The only problem was nursing him up to level thirteen as a mage, which I managed to do without too much hassle in the Underdark. He's not designed for soloing. I wouldn't want to, anyway, I love having all these nutcase NPCs around.