Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-25-2004, 10:52 AM   #1
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Well today is Christmas, and having grown up with it one way then having to deal with the crap I did today, well let's just say I needed hip waders to handle it. Keeping in mind I grew up looking forward to Christmas because it was the one time of year my whole family got together (and the fact that once I was old enough to drink in front of my parents), I was rather looking forward to a good Christmas with my wife.

But... on this, my second Christmas in China, we were invited to go out with the district (governmental) manager of Nanhui district. Harmless enough, if a bit irritating for me (as it's not family). Ends up we are sitting in a freezing ass office and listening to some slick snake oil salesman talking about a pyramid scheme. But it gets better! Just about everything he's talking about is either quasi-legal or completely illegal in mainland China. Well after sitting there for a few minutes too long (and really, isn't even one minute too long when you're dealing with these people?) we get out of there after the appropriate pause for "giving face" (it's an Asian thing, and if it happened in the states I'd just walk out after loudly advising the manager to leave before he gets reamed by the conman) to the district manager.

Really the saddest thing was watching a guy that I actually kind of respect and like being totally used like an unsuspecting tool. We had not the opportunity to advise him to have NOTHING to do with that or any similar scheme, but he really deserves better than that. If it were just a matter of parting a fool from his money I'd not care so much, but there's a strong possiblity he'll get tossed in prison if he sticks with it and things ever get investigated.

Maybe the story was a bit long, but it just gets to me that not only did I not get a family only Christmas as was meant to be, but that I had to sit through this **** and watch an otherwise decent guy getting played for a fool. Next year I'm definitely helping my wife get a visa to the US so we can spend a proper Christmas with family. (Then back here for Chinese New Year, which is like a week long Christmas.)

Thank you IW for allowing me my rant. I feel better now.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
*hands over the shovel*
I hope despite the annoyance, you still had/are having a nice Christmas, Winter Wolf. I know I am. Family only. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
javan
Zhentarim Guard

* [img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] Do you need the spade, the long handled shovel, or the double-wide scoop I reserve for political discussions, sales pitches and door-to-door evangelists? *

Hopefully you can warn the manager before he gets in too deep.

Wishing you and your wife the best for the season… javan
Old 12-26-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Winter Wolf, that sounds like a pretty unpleasant way to spend ANY time, Christmas included. I hope you get time to enjoy your Chinese New Year or any other holiday you have coming up with your family.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Mmmmm..yes. Pyramid scheme. What was the name of that scheme? maybe I've heard it before. Many people I know have fallen for these sort of things. The promise of getting rich quick is just too tempting.

Luckily you didn't do the other "Asian thing". that is join on obligation.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:17 AM   #6
Lavindathar
Harper

The only Pyramid Scheme that worked, was the original.

Just shame it took em like 2000 years to finish the things!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

@ Kakero: Lexxus. Some beauty product or health food thing. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention. My defense against brainwashing is to start staring off into space or making fun of the salesman. As far as doing most things that involve following along, I don't. Sometimes being nonconformist has definite advantages.

It is well beyond a second thought now. I'm so desensitized to BS now that it tends to be forgotten within a couple days.

I agree with Lavindathar, the original pyramid scheme was the only one worth a damn. And they had massive massive whips to help them get *those* pyramids built! ^__^

Wishing all a happy new year.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Lexxus? I know that! It's a direct selling business just like Elken or Amway or Omegatrend * cough * though isn't quite a big as those. Some years ago, Someone wanted me to open up a stockist in my area but I wouldn't get involve with such things.