Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Elif Godson
Dracolich

keep the car running? I had an altercation today with an individual, when I first pulled next to him he looked like a normal white 20ish year old, base ball cap on side ways, semi tricked out ricer car with ole rattle can exhaust, no big deal. I heard his engine running and simply said, you do know that is a fire hazard in a calm inquisitive voice. He looked up at me and said what's it to ya, does it bother you? He spoke in broken english, to say bluntly he was of arabic nature, again no problem. I replied yes it bother's me, you could cause a fire or more so blow the gas station up and us with it. He told me to go f myself. Needless to say I didnt see that one coming. He then proceeded to stop fueling and get in his car in an aggitated state spouting various conjectives off as well as speaking in different tongues. Then, the kicker is he brought up the gulf war and said we should all be dead as he spead out of the station. I love license plate number's, I just hope the car belong's to him and he get's a nice visit from officer friendly. I was totally like wtf?? Now my question here is, was I wrong to say, Dude, you know that's a fire hazard?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
The real question here is: why didn't you pull him out of the car and kick him in the nuts ?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I like johnny's thinking here. Anyway, I'm beginning to strongly believe the world is becoming more narcissitic hourly.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

The chance of a fire is very slim. The big thing is the gas fumes would need to have a mixture to cause a fire to start off with. If the gas fumes were within the explosive limit and you had a source of ignition. Ie. the engine maybe you could get a explosion. When I worked up in the north when it was cold. We never turned our trucks off for days. We always filled them up while running. I am going to check the net and see if there is any reports of a car or truck causing a fire from running. Most fires are caused because of a static charge.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

All the stations around here have signs warning you to shut off the engine before filling your tank and I always do. I don't care how slim the chance is (Sorry Mack! ), I don't want to be a charbroiled statistic!

[ 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

while that is true it is also generally against the rules at the vast majority of US gas stations to leave your engines running. (IIRC diesel is different because it has a much different ignition temerature and burns differently, I don't think my sister or her significant other shut their semi down to refuel)
Old 11-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
All the stations around here have signs warning you to shut off the engine before filling your tank and I always do. I don't care how slim the chance is (Sorry Mack! ), I don't want to be a charbroiled statistic!
Every gas station I have been to as well says to turn your car off. And when filling up at a gas station I always do as well. Just when I worked up north we did not.

I did some google searches and the number one cause is a static charge. Usally from getting in and out of your car and not touching any metal before touching the gas nozzle.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
The real question here is: why didn't you pull him out of the car and kick him in the nuts ?
Yeah, that'll really teach him to act like some sort of brattish adolescent, and is a very reasonable response to some insignificant verbal conflict with someone below the legal age of drinking.

Sorry about not joining in with the rest of the angry mob by the way, I accidently left my pitchfork at home this morning. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have an extra one, Groj. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM   #10
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Believe me, I would have loved to throttle the jerk, but I made a promise to myself many years ago when I almost broke someone's neck, that I wouldnt hit someone because they were being an ass! hehe I know the chances are slim of an actual BOOM happening, but it was mostly the guy's attitude about the whole thing. If he wasnt 9/10th of the way in his car and I could have seen through the limo tint, when he said American's need to die in Iraq, I may just have yanked him out of the car. Hell I half expected him to pull a gun on me and I have far too much to lose because some pos has a chip on his shoulder. I will let Homeland Security deal with this one.

[ 11-01-2005, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]