Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-25-2001, 03:06 PM   #1
Silverblade
Dungeon Master

So which one is better, I hear great reviews for both but just wondered which one was better? Any responses would be appreciated...
Old 07-25-2001, 03:09 PM   #2
oldbittercraig
Elminster

I'd go with the Kensai/Mage- I run a 9/17 K/M and my good friend is running a monk of about level 15... I've seen them both in combat- the monk is a better in straight melee, the fact that the K/M can drop the some serious spells swings the balance his way.

Versatility.
Old 07-25-2001, 04:02 PM   #3
trux

well, they both become power characters very easily.

I've played monks before and enjoyed them very much. They not only change each level as a fighter does, but they also get improved AC, movement rate, magic resistance, and their fists become potently magical weapons. I played one through SoA and ToB and was one of the favorite characters I've ever played in any of the BGs.

------------------
trux
Old 07-25-2001, 05:08 PM   #4
deathknight
Drow Warrior

I haven't played both into the very late levels but I will still give my opinon hehe. In the fun factor and the roleplaying factor monks get a good score. The idea of playing a monk is pretty cool. They are very powerful and pretty well rounded.
The thing that I think throws the balance in favor of the kensai/mage is the spells (heh well duh). I spent the extra time (and regreted doing it up until I unlocked my mage spells) of going to level 12 kensai before dualing. So with level 12 kensai abilities my melee is very impressive. the thing that makes this char so great is the cool spells like sequencers and contingencies though. With a contingency to say dispell magic when you lose control of your char or something that helps alot. Then throw in the cool abilities of of some of the weapons you have available to you also. Celestial fury is nice. Daystar is nice. equalizer,pixie prick. A monks best feature is also a limitation. Sure you could use a sword as a monk but why? I really enjoy doing improved haste and turning into a lawnmower with my kensai/mage. Oh the enemy cast stoneskin,improved mantle etc? just bust out some spells on him and then hack him up
still though there is alot to be said for the roleplaying. I can't say don't play a monk even though I love kensai/mage. My monk wsa a blast too.
Old 07-25-2001, 08:48 PM   #5
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

not trying to be rude, but i thin that monks and kensais are "things that should not be" in a medieval fantasy campaign like BG
Old 07-25-2001, 08:56 PM   #6
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

What on earth is wrong with a Kensi? A bloke who has a great deal of proficency in the arts of war, and does without the encumbrances of armour?

sounds allright to me

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 09:07 PM   #7
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is nothing wrong with the kensai, but i think he is very philosphical and oriental-looking warrior for a campaign in faerun. In Eastern parts of the forgotten realms he would fit much better.

It seems an inexplicable profession for a child raised in candlekeep.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:13 PM   #8
jabidas
Silver Dragon

What you dont find the idea of a Half-Orc Barbarian a little odd in candlekeep

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 09:14 PM   #9
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

*shrugs*

Good point, though you know little or nothing of what happened in the many years the player spent there.....numerous stories and/or characters could be created to explain it.

But to each their own

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 09:19 PM   #10
Crasso of Battledale
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, OK...
The candlekeep child could have read some bizarre tales about the kensai from far lands. This is a logic explanation.

And, Jabidas, Could not the pious Gorion adopt a poor half orc child?