Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2001, 04:11 PM   #1
Ezekial
The Magister

Can someone explain the big thing about playing as a kensai/mage?

I mean, they're really powerful..but doesn't that defeat the object of the game a little bit (playing as aparty, npc interaction an all that..). Or do most people play as them after they've completed the game?

And similar...why do so few players play as fighters?
Old 12-06-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

Well, some people like to have alot of power, and the ability to jump up and down on anything that gets in their way. I tried a Kensai/Mage myself once, but I didn't really like it either.

Everyone has different opinions and preferences.

Well, playing as a ordinary fighter is rather bland IMO... I think others feel the same way, and that is why they arn't as popular as the kits and dual/multi classed fighters. They have the ability to use ranged weapons and melee and wear the best armor, but they lack the neat powers the kits get... And there are always work arounds to not having ranged weapons since there are so many returning throwers in the game... But to each his own.
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:33 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Having a figher as your PC is the easiest way to play the game. by yourself your very hard, and you have mage backup. if you played a mage and had one more fighter to keep the balance the same, the game would be harder because it would be easier to get your PC killed.

To use a mage as effectively youd have to learn the different spells, figure out what to cast and when. this is much harder for a newbie - therfore they should stick to having a fighter - but more satisfying for an experienced player, who will take the "weaker" classes/kits in order to make the game that much harder.
Old 12-07-2001, 03:02 AM   #4
Whailor

I have and do play as a fighter. Not as a 'pure' fighter, but the berserker kit, and I like it. I don't exactly agree to some people's statement that the fighter is easiest to play. As a char, as a class, yes it is since you don't have to mess with all the spells, which are in my mind at times ridiculously stupidly messed up. Guess the guys and gals who 'invented' this system forgot the golden rule, with a short name "KISS" - Keep It Simple, Stupid. So all those cranky spell thingies really do not add exitement to my gaming experience, I do enough of cranky stuff every day during the business days for work, last thing I want is to mess with all that at my leisure time as well.

As a solo fighter, it wouldn't be that easy either. All you can rely on is your skills and gear, and for half the game you basically have lower skills and no real gear. Not to mention no buffs as such, no ways to find traps, to deal in a fast way with the super buffed enemies. It's doable, but not easy.

So, there are people who play 'fighters'. And in a party a fighter is easier to play. For starting people fighter is also easier char to play in a party because the char is more straightforward. Solo, it's not that easy.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:45 AM   #5
lord_gabriel
Manshoon

...i now play solo, but only because i have finished the game four times by now twice good, twice evil, twice TOB, twice SOA... ...so i think its time for a solo carrier by now...

...i'd agree, that playing a fighter is too easy if playing with party and somehow boring. I prefer plaing as assassin, i just love hiding and backstabbing and then luring the rest of my enemies into some death clouds - or watever...
...walk in the light..!<br /><br />Lord Gabriel<br /><br /> Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint!<br />Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht,<br />Ist wert, das es zugrunde geht;<br />Drum besser wär\'s, daß nichts entstünde. <br />So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde,<br />Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt,<br />Mein eigentliches Element.
lord_gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 06:02 AM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

quote:
Originally posted by Eldoran:
And there are always work arounds to not having ranged weapons since there are so many returning throwers in the game.

Wait a sec--are you saying there are ranged weapons that a Kensai can use? I'd considered making a Kensai->Mage, to see what all the fuss was about, but quickly changed my kind when I saw they couldn't use missile weapons. I don't care what anyone else does, I am NOT sending an unarmored Mage up to the front lines to have his ass handed to him; I'd MUCH rather build a plain Fighter->Mage with 5 stars in Composite Longbow. But if I can come close to that with a Kensai, I'd consider it a useable kit.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:23 AM   #7
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

The Kai ability available to the Kensai makes up for any shortcomings that they might have. Maximum damage for a few attacks, not too shabby.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:03 AM   #8
Kaleban
Manshoon

Throwing Axes and Daggers (Boomerang Dagger, Axe of Hangard) can be used by Kensai, due to the fact they have a melee component, and return "instantaneously" to the had once throw, which I think the programmers implemented as sort of a spell effect.

This is a bug in my opinion, as the Kensai should not be allowed to use ranged weapons as he's already way powerful (dual to a Thief, in ToB the Use Any Item ability cancels out every disadvantage, a Kensai in Full-Plate, and there's always the dual class to a mage to use Bracers of Defense and Robe of Vecna...) in melee, and dual-classing eliminates many of his disadvantages.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:34 AM   #9
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by Eldoran:
Well, some people like to have alot of power, and the ability to jump up and down on anything that gets in their way. I tried a Kensai/Mage myself once, but I didn't really like it either.

Everyone has different opinions and preferences.

Well, playing as a ordinary fighter is rather bland IMO... I think others feel the same way, and that is why they arn't as popular as the kits and dual/multi classed fighters. They have the ability to use ranged weapons and melee and wear the best armor, but they lack the neat powers the kits get... And there are always work arounds to not having ranged weapons since there are so many returning throwers in the game... But to each his own.

Plain fighters are just too ordinary. I like bezerkers though...
Old 12-07-2001, 10:49 AM   #10
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I don't think it is fair to say that fighters are for "newbies" or anyone that wants it easy. I have finished the game 2.5 times(stupid bugs) and am soloing a sorcerer now, but I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the fighters. Its what I played on PnP,and it is what I relate most to.

I am trying different kits right now to experiment, but when I make a party that I am going to play for a while, it is 2 fighters up front, no kits, no dual or multi, just two fighters. The rest fall in to place.

For all you guys that pick special kits like kensai, and stack long and katana swords waiting for the blackrazor or the fury, what if this was the first time you went in there? What if the best sword you could find was long sword +1, but there was Plate mail +20 and composite long bow +15,+30 vs. undead which you couldn't use? Would it still be a tough class? You have to go into unexpected situations with someone who can do it all, and that is a plain fighter. Ranged weapons,melee and armour: all of it.

After you finished the game a couple times, try the kits for fun. Don't go into a new maze, with the DM sitting across from you, telling him you are taking a guy that can only use these certain types of weapons, and would he please limit the booty to these. Doesn't work.

That's why I will ALWAYS take a straight fighter in the first time. It's not easy or for newbies, it's for guys going into a new experience that has to be prepared for everything. 'Nuff said.