Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-09-2006, 12:48 AM   #21
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
Which one was that? ToEE? ???
Arcanum. Vampire was really good as well, but ToEE was bad for bug-related reasons. The combat engine in that game, however, was the best (turn-based) combat ever in a game before. I wonder why games like NWN didn't stick so close to the rules as ToEE did, because it works. Also, if you'd like to try that game without all the bugs, install the Circle of Eight modpack.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #22
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Khelgar and Neeshka.

Sheesh.
Sorry mate. I'm not as religious about spelling as you. You get the drift.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #23
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebodog:
Did this game ever get a fair chance or was it doomed from the start?

It's a shame too many people look at the glass as being half empty, and condemn the game for what it's not.
I have yet to really bash this game. The main problems that I have had with it, or the main problem, is that my system can't run it, and while that is aggravating, it's not wholly the games fault, and I am fully aware of that. I own it, after all. "But you have posted negative things about it", yes, but those things are related to me by somebody that I've been gaming with for four years, and I trust his opinions. He bought a computer specifically to run this game, and he still has issues. It scares me when this system:

er, can't remember the processor, but it's the Dual Core tech
4 gigs of ram
NVidia 7800(can't recall the rest of the designations)

can't run a game smoothly. I believe that this represents problems with the game, and these problems have been admitted by the developers. At any rate, his machine is closer to the max specs than the min specs, and he still has issues both in the toolset, and in the world he's trying to create. Where does the blame for that lie? I would have to say it's a developer's problem, and that problem is that the game was rushed to the shelves, and it wasn't ready. Bad coding has been tossed around a lot, and I have no doubt that that's the truth. When you're running at, or near, the top of the recommended requirements for a game, and still have to turn off all the stuff that caused the requirements to be needed, what's the point?

Note that at the time of this writing, his game has been fully patched, and all his drivers are up to date as well. As I said, he's been at this a while, and knows what's needed to maintain his machine to run games. After all, he's had a server online for 4 years, with very few hitches.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #24
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
EVERYONE almost is saying even with a dual core MAXED overclocked system with the best video card and 2 gig of ram its choppy and slow as hell.

It's just BAD programming and design. There must be a memory leak too.

And I can run Battlefield 2142 with all setting MAXXED, and that game has higher requirements than Oblivion!

This is one big reason PC Games are dying. Dev's release unfinished crap....
I would suggest you stop over-relying on the negative nabobs in gaming forums so much. Every game that gets released will have its crowd of idiots who'll lie and pontificate and trash the game because it doesn't meet their personal gaming-wackoff fantasy. Somethem regardless of not having actually played it, but because a "friend of a friend" said so.

I have the game (US DVD version). According to Systems Requirement Lab I meet both the miminum and recommended settings. http://www.srtest.com/referrer/srtest

I'm running a GeForce 6800 with 512MB of video memory and 1.5GB of system memory. I've run it at the higher resolutions, but I can't read the tiny fonts since I won't wear bi-focals to play a computer game so I dropped back to 1024*768. I don't have problems with frame rate and I run most of the video options "on" or set to "high" or whatever the "most eye candy" setting happens to be.

As for the memory leak rumor you glad-handled: there is no evidence of memory leaks. I've played the game for 10+ hours straight and have had no slow downs or performance issues that could give me a reasonable indication that I have a memory leak. I even left the game on over-night (the first night) after playing most of the day and took right-up again in the morning without a problem.

I've also got about 30-hours of play. Not one bug. No crash. No bugs. Nothing.

The biggest complaint I have is that it takes forever for the game to initially load. Once it gets up there, it's not too bad. But that first start-up. Arrrggggggghhhhhhh!!!!! Me want to play NOW!!! Not two minutes from NOW!!!

My experience is that people with these problems usually have crappy (cheap) equiment, too much crap going on in their system, or equipment that's in a marginal failure state.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #25
uss
20th Level Warrior

Guys, I think (or at least, I hope [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] ) that some of you are being too dramatic about the bugs and choppiness. Neverwinter Nights I sure as hell didn't start off on the right foot either, but it grew far better than it had initially been. Hopefully after some patches, perhaps an expansion, the game could become substantially better.

I haven't had a chance to play the game, but the first review in this topic seems little more than boycotting demagogy-infused rubbish.. makes me a bit angry really. For example, he claims for the game's interface to be the worst ever, whereas the examples are rather insubstantial. And are the graphics really better in NWN I? Because I'm having a hard time believing that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #26
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by DraconisRex:
quote:
EVERYONE almost is saying even with a dual core MAXED overclocked system with the best video card and 2 gig of ram its choppy and slow as hell.

It's just BAD programming and design. There must be a memory leak too.

And I can run Battlefield 2142 with all setting MAXXED, and that game has higher requirements than Oblivion!

This is one big reason PC Games are dying. Dev's release unfinished crap....
I would suggest you stop over-relying on the negative nabobs in gaming forums so much. Every game that gets released will have its crowd of idiots who'll lie and pontificate and trash the game because it doesn't meet their personal gaming-wackoff fantasy. Somethem regardless of not having actually played it, but because a "friend of a friend" said so.

My experience is that people with these problems usually have crappy (cheap) equiment, too much crap going on in their system, or equipment that's in a marginal failure state.
[/QUOTE]Nicely said on BOTH counts DraconisRex. I'm running NWN2 on max settings with a Falcon Mach V, 3.2 Ghz P4, 1 GIG ram and a nVidea GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB PCIE at 1200 x 1084 with all settings on MAX. So far the game has run like a champ for me.

I've been following the frame rate slowdown issue at the NWN2 forums and DR is right; most people who have reported the problem have unsupported video cards, or cards at the very low end of the supported list. Issues around xFire (and apparently Vista as well) have been solved. There are some folks who SHOULD have been able to play the game that couldn't and the latest nVidea drivers have worked miracles in solving most of those slowdown problems.

I won't presume to debate whether NWN2 is a true sequel to NWN1. But issues around the toolset and dmclient NOTWITHSTANDING, NWN2 is an AWESOME game. Yes the camera view is a bit twitchy, but its more than functional - it just takes a little getting used to. And I actually prefer the new UI, including the quickcast spell bar, as opposed to that circle (jerk) radial wheel nonsense of NWN1. Spellcasting in NWN2 is MUCH easier. Yes, there are still some issues around the quickslot menus, but those are minor and they are being fixed. My only BIG complaint is that the NPC AI is still substandard - but it is WAY better than the NPC AI in NWN1 by a LONG shot.

This game has a very, VERY well done single player campaign. It's very detailed, offers tons of NPC interactions including some very detailed dialogue strings, quests (at least so far) actually seem to advance the plot (instead of the old FedEx quests - although there ARE a couple of those). Again it's a great game. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just my two cents. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I better go install those new drivers then .

I run a 6800GT 256mb. I'd LOVE to get that 7950! *drools*

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:47 PM   #28
Micah Foehammer

The new nVidia drivers are working wonders for people with lower end cards; but even the new drivers won't help everyone - some cards are just too old and too slow to work with NWN2. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 11-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #29
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

nVidias 6800GT's are not old.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #30
Micah Foehammer

Quote:
nVidias 6800GT's are not old.
Wasn't referring to your card, Z. [img]smile.gif[/img]

This was posted on the NWN2 Tech forums. If you are thinking of buying the game, pay CLOSE attention to this list as it spells out which cards will probably actually work with the game and which ones won't. The list is NO guarantee that the game will actually function with THAT card on YOUR system as there are other variables that make a difference.

BTW, if you are running an AMD chipset, you known that there is a specific executable for those chipsets. Make sure you launch the game using the specific NWNmain_amd.exe (or something like that) - it makes a HUGE difference.

The link for the following is here:

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums...forum=116&sp=0

This was originally from Obsidian, found at Bioware's NWN-2 Forum (I had to add a couple of cards that they skipped right over, and I reordered them to suit NWN-2, at least, IMO on shader 2.0 speed), sorting order "in flux", still, and I've removed the several cards that the Prerelease Toolset named as no longer supported (although they failed to remove the Nforce6100 and FX 5500 for some reason).

Supported Video Cards: (Fastest)
+ Radeon X1950
- ATI Radeon X1900 series
+ Geforce 7950
- ATI Radeon X1800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series
- ATI Radeon X850 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
- ATI Radeon X800 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Recommended Video Level (or better, upward)

- ATI Radeon 9800 XT
- ATI Radeon X1650 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
- ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
- ATI Radeon X1600 Pro
+ ATI Radeon X1300 XT
- ATI Radeon X700 series
- NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
- ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
- ATI Radeon 9700
- ATI Radeon 9800 SE
- ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
- ATI Radeon 9600 XT
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
- ATI Radeon X600 Pro
- NVIDIA GeForce 6600
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900
=========================== Low Quality & on downward from here

- NVIDIA GeForce 6500 series
- ATI Radeon X600
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 LE, XT
- ATI Radeon 9500
- ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
- ATI Radeon 9600
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Current FX Minimum
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 LE (Probably should've been removed -- very slow)
- ATI Radeon X550
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = I just can't believe that any of these next EVER belonged on any "supported" list

- ATI Radeon 9600 SE
- NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (Probably should've been removed -- very slow, and the 5600 was removed)
- ATI Radeon 9550 (Probably should've been removed -- very, VERY slow, and its twin, the X300, is now gone)
- NVIDIA GeForce 6100 series ** ( Slowest ) **

Suffixes, from Good to Awful

ATI Suffixes: XTX > XT > XL > Pro > GTO > Vanilla > GT > SE > Hyper Anything
nVidia: Ultra > GTX > GT > GS > Vanilla > LE = XT > VE > TC (Turbocache, any variety)

[ 11-10-2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Micah Foehammer ]