Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2003, 06:33 PM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

G'day folks

One of the more obscure things that annoys me about the war and the resulting protest movement, apart from when it turns violent, is the lack new material coming from the artistic people. The obvious one is the absence of new musical artists and new protest songs. If I hear one more Dylan or peter/paul/mary song I'll scream. Where are the rap artists complaining about the war? Where is the latest Madonna protest song? Where is Bob Geldorf when you need him?
Does anyone out there know of good fresh anti war material being produced?

What brought on this protest was my wife listening to a Phil Ochs cd last night. Because of his obscurity this greatist of singer songwriters still sounds fresh today, tho' this was written 40 years ago!

I’ve seen rivers red with blood
I’ve seen valleys filled with mud
I’ve seen stormy seas that pound upon the shore,
I’ve seen mountains strewn with bones
I’ve seen people without homes
And it’s all with the passing of my life.

I’ve seen highways head’n down
I’ve seen green grass turn to brown
I’ve seen forests burn a couple of days or more,
I’ve seen prairies filled with holes
I’ve seen good men sell their souls

Chorus… And I see the fury of fire and the flame
I wonder if my children will have to see the same.

I’ve seen rockets all ablaze
I’ve seen battles by the score
I’ve seen cities bombed and butchered to the ground,
I’ve seen ten too many wars
And it’s all with the passing of my life

Chorus… And I see the fury of fire and the flame
I wonder if my children will have to see the same.

I’ve seen rockets all ablaze
I’ve seen cities bombed and butchered to the ground,
I’ve seen ten too many wars

Yes and it’s all with the passing of my life.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
Charean
Hathor

Light Bulb

There were a lot of satire songs during Desert Storm - but nothing horribly original. One that comes to mind, to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys is "Bomb Iran, Let's take a stand, Bomb Iran...."

I wish I could remember the other lyrics.

But the stuff that the military hears is usually not played in the States. They use it for morale.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:19 PM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
There were a lot of satire songs during Desert Storm - but nothing horribly original. One that comes to mind, to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys is "Bomb Iran, Let's take a stand, Bomb Iran...."

Considering all the protesting actors at last nights oscers. I thought that the artistic community would be awash with examples... but I just can not think of any. Did all the talent dry up in 1969?
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:

Considering all the protesting actors at last nights oscers. I thought that the artistic community would be awash with examples... but I just can not think of any. Did all the talent dry up in 1969?[/QUOTE]John Cougar recently released a nice little pro-peace ditty. But that's about the newest protest song I have heard.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

John Mellencamp got quiet abit of negative feedback from his fans for that one..

I believe there is one rap artisit that put a new CD that apparently promotes peace. The CD Cover is really distastefull IMO. Featuring a Boeing heading for the White House..Seems like there is more, cant think of any right now though.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
John Mellencamp got quiet abit of negative feedback from his fans for that one..

I believe there is one rap artisit that put a new CD that apparently promotes peace. The CD Cover is really distastefull IMO. Featuring a Boeing heading for the White House..Seems like there is more, cant think of any right now though.
Cougar, mellencamp...whats the difference?

His album, the one with "Jack and Diane" on it was one of the first I got as a kid. I remember him as john cougar, but acknowledge he changed his name to John Mellencamp. His last album wasn't half bad...

I haven't seen that Rap CD you are refering to and I run a music store. Perhaps it's an indy album we dont carry, or I missed it on new release night? Anyway, That is a pretty distasteful album cover. He could have just put the words "I hate bush" on the CD cover to get his point across with-out any "terrorist imagery". Then again art has been used to shock and awe before, so it could stand as a pure metaphor, albeit a distastful one.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Cougar, mellencamp...whats the difference?

His album, the one with "Jack and Diane" on it was one of the first I got as a kid. I remember him as john cougar, but acknowledge he changed his name to John Mellencamp. His last album wasn't half bad...

I haven't seen that Rap CD you are refering to and I run a music store. Perhaps it's an indy album we dont carry, or I missed it on new release night? Anyway, That is a pretty distasteful album cover. He could have just put the words "I hate bush" on the CD cover to get his point across with-out any "terrorist imagery". Then again art has been used to shock and awe before, so it could stand as a pure metaphor, albeit a distastful one.[/QB]
Heh, yeah he added Cougar in sometime during his career, not sure when, not sure why.

I forgot the rappers name, he was on Fox few weeks ago. Yeah he said it was a metaphore, I forgot his exact wording or exscuse, I was too infuriated to listen. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-24-2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Iron_Ranger ]
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote