Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #21
Klutz
Manshoon

I think most people like RFS-81 and Vi because they have the fewest no-go areas of any NPC. I've done fine with Madras and Sparkle as well, but never used any other NPC's for any length of time.

If you consider the sum total of the NPC's stats normalized for their relative levels when they join (they get 6 extra per level just like you do), Vi is by far the best NPC, with Urq, Saxx, and Madras in nearly a 3-way tie about 10 points lower. Tantris is the worst, 39 points lower than Vi (and the same starting level). Keep in mind that for player-generated characters the difference between the race with the most starting points (Human, 315) and the least (5 races including Faerie and Mook, 300). Even Tantris, though, actually has 6 points more than a player-created Faerie or Mook of the same level. (So yes, Vi is a whopping 45 points ahead of your player-created Dwarf Valkyrie, and still 30 points ahead of your Human Vaklyrie.) So if you're willing to work with how the game assigned the attribute points and keep them with your party as much as possible to keep their levels high, NPCs can potentially be more powerful characters than your PCs.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #22
Krull
Zhentarim Guard

Yes, in the last party, and now the current one, I've kept Vi and RFS, as they were both magic heavy parties, and agree that they are the best ones (IMHO) to recruit. The only other NPC I've used is Madras for the reasons given above.

I used Urq solely as someone who can identify items for me (if I don't have anyone in the party to do it for me) so recruit and then dismiss him in the Mook building. Otherwise Vi or a relevant spellcaster does it.

Don't know if anyone agrees but I think it's probably better to develop NPCs who will be of use to you on AP for the end game hence Vi and RFS. I think Saxx goes to the Peak but am unsure of who else will. As far as I'm aware, only Tantris and RFS go willingly to the Rapax areas, is that right?
Krull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #23
bladedog
Dungeon Master

RFS-81 will go into the Rift & castle, don't know about Vi, but no-one goes into the away camp. I'm guessing thats so you have two spaces to collect the two NPC's there.

I wonder, does the same happen in Bayjin? You need to collect Glymph (sp?) so does only one other NPC go willingly?
bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:48 AM   #24
SpitBall
The Magister

So far, I tried taking Saxx, Vi, Madras, Sparkle, and RFS-81 to Bayjin. Only RFS-81 was willing to go. Now, I took them by different routes - Saxx & Sparkle cut-out in the Underwater Adventure from Gigas, and the others when entering through the swamp. But, I don't think that matters.
SpitBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #25
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Only RFS is willing to go to Bayjin. This is to ensure that you have at least free spot for Sgt.Glump in 'nomal play'.

Surprising side note: Saxx doesn't like to go into the water caves. But when you enter the sea caves, he's happy again (and doesn't wnat to go back through the water).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #26
SpitBall
The Magister

Not sure about that rationale, wereboar. One could always dismiss an NPC to pick up Glumph. I think most would find their way back to the "home" location, where you could meet up with them later. besides the list I compiled of NPCs that won't go to Bayjin is not complete - what about the others?
Old 04-08-2005, 04:38 AM   #27
Loudhy
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Wereboar:
Surprising side note: Saxx doesn't like to go into the water caves. But when you enter the sea caves, he's happy again (and doesn't wnat to go back through the water).
Maybe he's afraid to get a "rusty" Saxophone ?

[img]graemlins/monster5.gif[/img]
Loudhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 06:33 AM   #28
Wereboar
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Not sure about that rationale, wereboar. One could always dismiss an NPC to pick up Glumph. I think most would find their way back to the "home" location, where you could meet up with them later. besides the list I compiled of NPCs that won't go to Bayjin is not complete - what about the others?
As far as i know, RFS is the only 'normal' RPC that will enter Bayjin without complaining (the 'quest' RPCs do it, too - Glump, Rhodan, Drazzic).
And none except the 'quest' RPCs will enter the away camp without being forced.
And that are exactly the places where you get one two quest RPCs.
It could be some strange coincidence, but i think the programmers wanted you to have the free slots available (in 'normal' play).
Wereboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM   #29
SpitBall
The Magister

Well, that was a waste of time! Spent hours running around to find two light cross-bows (in the end I bought both from Anna), fighting my way from the Swamp to Trynton, picking up Madras, and getting him to make me a double-shot crossbow - only to find out that Samurais can't use them! Makes no sense to me, as they can use a either a light or heavy crossbow - why not the double-shot?

I tried giving it to the Bard, but he has major stamina problems, what with all his musical instruments being played, so that was not effective. Next, I'll try giving it to the fighter (and Demonstring to the Samurai), but I'm afraid he may suffer a similar fate, as his berserking tires him right now.

Probably end up selling the damn thing.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #30
LewyRay
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I also had planned on having my Samurai use the double shot (and eventually the triple shot) crossbow.

I did end up giving it to my Bard. Now she usually plays the rousing drums in the first round of combat and switches over to the triple-shot or Fang depending on the range to the monsters. After 4-5 rounds she usually has pound a hv. stamina potion, but otherwise does pretty well. I have definately found that I am using the instruments less and less as I go along. They just do not seem as effective compared to what my Bishop and Ranger, both with powercase at high level, can dish out.

As it is now, I have a pretty good ranged party. My fighter is welding the Strong Bow, the Samurai a Hunter Bow, the Ranger the Eagle Eye Bow, and then the Bard with the triple shot. When I arm them all with good amo most monsters are pretty beat up by the time the get into melay range (if they make it at all).
LewyRay is offline   Reply With Quote