Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2001, 12:12 PM   #1
gostmakker
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is there any way to get around the limit of magic armor your wardrobe can have?? Some rings, armor, amulets etc. can't be worn with other magical equipment-what's the limit?? You can shadow-keep them onto the bodies but do they lose their properties? Then later, if you want to beef-up a weak npc and give them the item, the item sometimes can't be removed-or the game won't allow the exchange unless you go back to the editor. Also, whats a good combination of power weapon and armor for Aerie- a charachter with preist and wizard skills both can be very useful. Thanxx
gostmakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 12:25 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Sweet, sweet Aerie.

Armour: Robe of Vecna( or Bladesinger Chain)
Gloves: Bracers of Defence 3( or Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise)
Helmet: Helmet of Defence( or Helm of Balduran)
Amulet: Amulet of Power( or Sensate Amulet)
Rings: Ring of Gaxx and Ring of Acuity( or Ring of Earth Control)
Cloak: Cloak of Mirroring( or Cloak of the Sewers)
Boots: Boots of Speed
Belt: Girdle of Fortitude

Weapons: Staff of the Magi, Sling of Everand( or Crom Faeyr and a shield)

The default choice is leaned towards spellcasting, the alternatives are for you if want her to melee a bit.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:07 PM   #3
Kaleban
Manshoon

I believe "named" items, such as the Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Earth Control, can be combined with magical armors, cloaks, and necklaces. Items like Rings and Amulets of Protection cannot be combined with armor unless its "special" (such as Dragon Scale Armors), and can never be combined with each other.

Experiment, but I find that for ANY spellcaster, use the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power. If you're distributing equipment around, the Ring of Gaxx really belongs on a Tank-type, as do any protection rings you've got. Unless you have Aerie meleeing (why oh why would you put a 50 lbs winged elf out front to take hits, especially when her bones are hollow????), always wear spells-enhancing equipment. the Cloak of Mirroring, Displacement, et.c DEFINITELY belongs on your tank-type who draws fire from the bad guys.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:13 PM   #4
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Sweet, sweet Aerie.

Armour: Robe of Vecna( or Bladesinger Chain)
Gloves: Bracers of Defence 3( or Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise)
Helmet: Helmet of Defence( or Helm of Balduran)

W.

Aerie can't wear the helmet of defence or the Helm of Balduran. I played her most of the game with nothing on her head. If you get the baldurdash patch, she can wear Oune(sp?) stones but that's it.
Old 12-09-2001, 11:10 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
Aerie can't wear the helmet of defence or the Helm of Balduran. I played her most of the game with nothing on her head. If you get the baldurdash patch, she can wear Oune(sp?) stones but that's it.

*cough* *cough*

Dude, have you even tried to put it on her first before jumping to conclusions? Aerie is a multiclassed Cleric/Mage, and she wear any Helmet she likes.
Old 12-09-2001, 04:57 PM   #6
Darkscar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The rule is u cannot use rings and armour etc that are named, i.e ring of protection +2 or armour of the hart +2 though you can wear things that have ather abilities as well such as the cloak of the sewers or ring of earth control.
Darkscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 05:20 PM   #7
andrewas
Harper

You cannot use a ring, amulaet, cloak or other item of protetection, while wearing any armour with a bonus to armour class. _any_ armour. Including Red Dragon Scale - although it was orignaly bugged so you could do this.

You also cannot wear any such item in combination with another.

The only two armours i am not sure about are Drow Plate and the BMU, which is secret and might or might not allow this.
Old 12-10-2001, 02:16 AM   #8
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

*cough* *cough*

Dude, have you even tried to put it on her first before jumping to conclusions? Aerie is a multiclassed Cleric/Mage, and she wear any Helmet she likes.

My bad, I must have been thinking of Nalia. I'd get that cough looked at if it persists.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:11 AM   #9
Whailor

Things always get mixed up..

First, Aerie can wear helmet and even platemail armor if she wants, just that it wont be good to her wizard spells at all;

Ring of Protection +1/+2 and Amulet of Protection +1 and the appropriate cloaks cannot be worn at the same time due to the stupid ancient useless core rules of the AD&D. Beats me why it was set so. Game itself as such - engine and all - doesn't mind it at all. You can Shadowkeep yourself up to the gills with the items and they will work and WILL give bonuses. Hope is that the 3rd rules are more "cooler" and will lose the arhaic restrictions in place. Don't know if 3rd rules do, I aint crazy enough to waste money on the book as such. When some game comes out with that ruleset, I will see it anyway;

From armor, one of the best armor to use with the chars who can wear plate is usual plain non-magic Full Plate. Offers good AC and can be used together with some of those good-but-pesky magic jewelry for additional bonuses. There are also some "special" magic items which will always work with any other magic item, like the Cloak the Sewers, Ring of Earth Control, Cloak of Mirroring, just to name few;

Red Dragon Scale platemail is NOT MAGIC platemail, that's why it allows you to use the rings and all other gear with it. That's why it's one of the best, if not the best, platemail in SoA. ToB has additional neato items, will see when I get it;

Speaking of platemails, isn't it stupid that the Ankheg platemail is considered magic, while Red Dragon Scale isn't? Someone REALLY should fix this ankheg platemail and release the file for Override folder. Which mob is after all more magical, a worm or a dragon.. Both items are made from usual chitinous materials and shouldn't be magical as such.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:11 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Red Dragon Scale is supposed to be magical armour, but they failed to flag it as such. ToB corrects this bug.