Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-06-2001, 05:53 PM   #11
Gary Smith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Come on the best bard kit is so the skald, i mean there are no disadvantages apart from half pickpocket ability. wow. The bard song is great and also he can fight, and he doesnt get any penalties to lore which means you dont need to memorize identify spells with your mages. also the bards stronghold quest is just the best IMHO
Me: What!! you cant kill me!<br />GM: I can do anythink i want.<br />Me: What did i do!!<br />GM: Your not being a party player<br />Me: Im Neutral Evil for Gods Sake!<br />GM: So your calling upon the gods of ravenloft to save you then.<br />Me: what....<br />[GM rolls the D20]<br />GM: Well thats a 15, added on 5 for all those graves youve robbed in the past adventure, thats a 20. Powers check please.<br />Me: Oh Cr*p.<br />[Me rolls D20]<br />Me: I got a 5<br />GM: Your still alive.<br />Me: Woohoo!!<br />GM: But your now half goat.<br />Me: Oh... WOOHOO!!
Gary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:41 PM   #12
Legolas
Jack Burton

The Archer is THE coolest kit avaliable in BG2 (in my opinion, of course )
Why?
Because it is a kit that represents the Ranger even more than the Ranger represents itself. For me, every 'true' ranger should be sneaking about the forest with a bow at the ready, guarding against intruders from a distance without ever being seen.

But also because the Archer is one of those kits whose disadvantages never provide a problem for you, as armour heavier than studded leather blocks your ability to hide in shadows, you don't really need to charm animals and so on. The only disadvantage which can be annoying is the inability to spend more than a single proficiency slot on close combat weapons. But again, this is not too much of a problem.

The Archer is the best of the best when it comes to missile weapons. Attacking from a distance, standing well out of the way of your oponnents makes the Archer kit powerful and well suited to soloing. If you don't need to close the distance, the enemy's missiles will hardly harm you. Enemy wizards standing behind a line of fighters for protection become vulnerable. Fighters have to come to you to harm you. If you're difficult to hurt, you hardly need a healer.
Another great thing about Archers is that they can take care of almost any situation without help. That is, as long as you are using the right tactics. Your strategy is more important here than with almost any other class, though magi and clergi benefit from a sound tactic for their spells. Others can tag along to help out in the melee, though Archers can certainly fight up close as well.

To me, the Archer is an almost all-round kit, with character, that is a lot of fun to play. Even if the Archer is not the driving force behind the party, he or she can really help out. And you can always use a fighter who will always stand next to the magi, offering protection.

There are many more reasons to play the Archer, as the reasons to play an Archer are many. [img]smile.gif[/img] But you have to enjoy the style of play htat comes with them. They are not a tank, nor a spellcaster. Yet they are not at their best in a supporting role lik a bard's either. Just go and see for yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]

Second choice is a Cavalier, but I'll leaveit to the cavaliers among us to explain why they are cool too

Or, try Sorcerer, Skald or Totemic Druid.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:17 PM   #13
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

1-Sorceror
2-Archer
3-Assassin/Dualed to fighter at level 12
4-Undead Hunter
5-Monk

[img]graemlins/ninja.gif[/img]
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:58 AM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Smith:
Come on the best bard kit is so the skald, i mean there are no disadvantages apart from half pickpocket ability. wow. The bard song is great and also he can fight, and he doesnt get any penalties to lore which means you dont need to memorize identify spells with your mages. also the bards stronghold quest is just the best IMHO

Skalds are better in SoA only, but with ToB, Blades are better.

Because he gets a kickass Bard Song which all Bards can get.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 01:10 AM   #15
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Wizard Slayer

It appears that I'm the only one who likes this class, but it fit perfectly with my character. He is based on a barbarian I played in PnP AD&D. He was a hack-n-slasher that REALLY hated wizards.

This kit gives the PC increasing Magic Resistance (5%/lvl) and the ability to Disrupt Spellcasting with each successful hit.

Since wizards become much more powerful than fighters at high level, I REALLY like a kit that allows me to still walk right up to them with relative impunity.

BTW, my PnP barbarian eventually ended up with 99%MR and total immunity to any spell lower than 7th level! It was gained from an artifact and was un-affected by the casters level. Even a 40th level mage couldn't reduce it. That was VERY COOL.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:24 AM   #16
Whailor

Bah this all..

Berserker is good. First as a fighter you will be a real Grandmaster in armed combat. You can use any type weapon amd any armor. You can take the damage and dish it out. Slap on Enrage and big bad spells run off your back like a water from a goose. Get good equipment, good skills, and take on in hand to hand combat the enemies alone, and beat them up. Put on Boots of Speed or sip the Oil of Speed and become wind of death, packed in steel. Let arhers and mages and everyone else run or stay in the distance and shoot their spelunkers and pointy sticks - it's never as satisfying as planting a fistful of plate gauntlet in the face of the wide eyed scared enemy, and wade through them like a hot knife through butter
Old 12-07-2001, 09:08 AM   #17
Kaleban
Manshoon

My absolute favorite would have to be the Fighter-Mage. Not a kit per se, but because of the special abilities of the mage adding to the fighter's skills, I consider it a type of kit.

I like the versatility. Buff up with spells, cast a few preliminary cloudkills and fireballs, then wade into the enemy swords flying!

My current "bladesinger" has 2 stars in Single-Weapon, 1 in Axe, and 5 in Longsword (yes I used SK, but I'm not taking anything but base proficiency in anything else and no ranged weapons, so I think its justified). I'm soloing him, just killed Kangaxx with the Flame Tongue +1. I'm now going to do the Shadow Thieves, clean-up all the "outdoor" quests, do my stronghold and the on to the Asylum.

I find soloing a Elf F/M is more satisfying than a sorcerer or pure mage, as I sold off the Cloak of Non-Detection, and have no plans to get the Staff of the Magi, as there is no in-game reference to that house or the Twisted Rune. I think that it makes for more strategy and tactics, as you have to use your spells wisely, and the fights once begun, don't drag out as long because my Thac0 at level 13/13 is -1. Definitely more challenging than a sorcerer in terms of strategy... "which spells do I need to day...?"
Old 12-07-2001, 10:15 AM   #18
Whailor

Spoiler, small one maybe
Well, just to burst a bubble - there is actually the in-game reference to the Twisted Rune. After the Baldurash patch anyway. By the 'standard' way, it was more like the occasional encounter without a big purpose, though there was a small hint in one of the quest - remember the skinner quest in the Bridge area? The fight? These assassins who attacked you there were Rune assassins. So initial hint was in the game already, Baldurash patch just.. 'enhanced' it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2001, 10:30 AM   #19
Kaleban
Manshoon

Which patch are you referring to? I remember the Rune Assassins in Rejiek's basement, and the cryptic words of the mage that teleports out, but beyond that, I don't know of any other references.

So again, what does this patch do?