Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know this community doesn't really focus on any specific 3DO title, but I'm hoping that at least some of its 14,000+ members have an interest in at least one of them.

Since its demise, most of the (ex) members of the official 3DO community have dispersed over several sites, many of which only concentrate on one or two ex-3DO games or have since been abandoned. Unless we can all find ways to cooperate with each other, the situation is unlikely to improve.

With this in mind, some of us are hoping to organise a meeting in IRC to discuss which options we have for working (and playing) together. This will be open to community site owners, admins, moderators and members alike.

The exact details are uncertain at this point, but Saturday 8th or Sunday 9th May has been suggested, and we'd like to get some sort of idea as to which day(s) and time(s) would be convenient for the greatest number of people to attend.

The basic idea is to discuss all cooperative options, not just merging. This could include link exchanges, web rings, a community directory...

One obvious improvement for members would be if they didn't need to have so many bookmarks, because every site linked to every other.

I have registered a channel on the SorceryNet servers, so I suggest that anyone interested in attending find out a little more about their rules and/or check their general IRC information pages if you have not used either before.

They provide a Java chat client on their site, and I've also set up a form on this page of my site.

It makes little difference which you actually use, as they both run from the script on their site, but the version I added joins the correct channel for you.

In the spirit of cooperation, I also encourage other community and site owners to add the code to a page on their own site (details of how to do so can be found on the second link above).

In an effort to keep things short and simple, and avoid people thinking of this as being intended for any one community, I named the channel #x3do (ex-3DO).

Please note that using the Java client will limit the options available to you, most notably nick (name) registration and protection. It is also slower than a dedicated IRC client.

This means that for security reasons, you cannot be given channel operator privaleges (even if you're on the access list) as the server cannot identify you by password.

This is unlikely to worry most of you though.

Please reply in this thread if you think you can attend, and when would be easiest for you.

Suggestions for topics to cover are also welcome.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wysardry,

As a long-time MM player and member of a couple of the 3DO boards, I'm interested in supporting a 3DO community. I still have fantasies that JVC raises the money to buy it back, and builds anew...

Unfortunately, weekends don't work well for me, but you can PM me through this board, or email me through the addy in my profile.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, one thing my posts at various communities have shown is that although weekends are convenient for the majority, they don't suit everybody.

Hopefully, once everyone has tried the IRC channel, they will drop by more often on an informal basis. I intend to keep it registered to allow this, and so that further meetings can be arranged at other times for those that couldn't make it to the first one.

Holding them at different times on different days would probably be the best option.

I will also endeavour to post a log of the meeting at my own community and provide a way for people to comment on it without needing to register first.

Unless you have a need to discuss times/dates in private, I'd rather it was posted here, as it then allows others to join in with comments like "could you make it an hour later so I can attend too?"
Old 04-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I have no need to discuss any of this in private, so I will continue on threads in the boards.
-+-+-+
Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay, how would the following Thursday at about 2 AM GMT (Wednesday at 10PM Eastern, 7PM Pacific daylight savings time) be for you?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Hi!

I've been a long time member of 3do board too. been there since the old 3do forum and then the 3do community board. I left when I finally got lv100 there.

I feel quite dissapointed at seeing 3do went kaput and bringing down NWC with them ( I actually love NWC more than 3do ). thus mean the ending of Might and Magic series which I have loved since MM1. I have many hopes that someday 3do will revive but until now my hopes have gone in vain.

I might join such things you mention Wysardry. If I feel like it...
Old 04-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #7
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Actually, UbiSoft are currently developing HoMM V, and when the producer was asked if another MM game will be made, his response was "almost certainly".
Old 04-30-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm flying back from New Jersey on Wednesday night, and won't be back in the house until much later. The next night (Thursday/Friday) is clear...

*edit* and actually, Thursday during the day works as well. I work out of my house, so I can be available at hours before 2AM UK time [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2004, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Old 05-01-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
Wysardry
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've decided to hold 3 meetings over next weekend, the times for which I'll announce in 12 to 24 hours from now.

After they are over, we can then decide when to hold another for those that couldn't make it to any of them.

If it is held on a Thursday or Friday, there should still be enough time to organise it.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Wysandry, may I ask who might be joining the meeting?

Thursday or friday would mean friday and saturday overhere. I guess I'll join then.