Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

We received an email from Microsoft the other day with instructions on how to download a security update # Q982616. This update was to protect you against the recent blaster style virus. It also contained an attachment that had a worm style virus inside. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Norton!

The message as it transpired was not actually from Microsoft but someone using a very, very convincing copy of there website and style. I even followed the hyperlinks to the real Microsoft site! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] so a warning for anybody out there.

Did anybody here get this virus?

If you do get this "Microsoft" message in your inbox, do not open the attachment, and do not click on the *update* button, just kill it

[ 09-23-2003, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-23-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks for the warning Wellard! [img]smile.gif[/img] I get so much junk in my mailbox these days, that I need to clean it out on daily basis
Old 09-23-2003, 07:26 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I had another virus this weekend, maybe it was the one you're talking about.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You should never download anything from microsoft from an email, use your browser to go to the web site instead, it's a lot safer, as emails can easily be faked.

I still don't understand why so much people are complaining about receiving spam, I'm not receiving any and I have 4 email accounts. Well... I'm not complaining. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 07:47 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have the autoupdate ability turned on my machine, and a little icon comes on in teh tray bar. If I do ont see one at least once a week, I go and visit the MS updates section. I had already been told by a news group (cannot remember which) to not open the e-mail as it was already known that a virus was circulating that way at least a week ago.

By the way, a good way to protect your machine from unwanted solicitation is to have an e-mail account that is used only for registering for items, or signing up for stuff. A default e-mail that you tell strangers about. The only people that have my real e-mail address are the ones that I actually know personally.

[ 09-23-2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's definitely not a good idea to take any of the emails that say they are from a major company (that you'd ordinarily trust) at face value and use the links in them! Like everyone said, go to the site yourself if you want to be sure it's ok.

Wellard, good thing you didn't end up with that virus!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:27 AM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

All microsoft updates come through their update utility... you will never recieve a valid email from microsoft urging you to update your computer. My corporation has been a major target of this stuff lately, and my virus filter has caught at least a dozen of those sorts of viruses in the last couple weeks... and there was one that didn't get caught.

A safe option, and one that I personally employ, is to NEVER under ANY circumstances open ANY email attachments without verbal verification from the sender... EVER. I've got a form letter I send back that tells the user to either embed the text directly (in the case of those .eml files some people like to send), or don't bother sending it to me.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:17 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

I was away at Alexandria Bay visting Boldt Castle and other stuff and when I got back I had 103 emails. About 3 of them were useful, 75 were [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] , and 25 were emails containing viruses (half of them from a faux Microsoft type location). I've not seen so many viruses flying in via email before. I really wish it would stop.

Mark
Old 09-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I never open anything unless it is from one of like 3 people, and not a forward.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #10
Jedimaster
Dungeon Master

I have gotten at least a dozen of these since the SVEN Virus came out. I always check it out with MAILWASHER (http://www.mailwasher.net) to see where it came from then add it to my blacklist.

[ 09-23-2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Jedimaster ]
I am a Trekker I like Simcity 2000, Star Trek,<br /> Star Wars, Science Fiction books, movies and TV shows.<br />My web address is [url]\"http://home.comcast.net/~m.nelson10\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~m.nelson10</a> <br />My email address is m.nelson10 at comcast.net