Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-26-2001, 08:13 PM   #1
Fast Hands
Dungeon Master

I hope everyone loves forwards and chain letter crap as much as I do.
I mean, I just don't get it why people even send them when they know it just bogs down the internet. Don't get me wrong, I like email for useful messages. Who starts those things anyway?

Sorry for my ranting, had to get it out. What does everyone else think? Can this problem be solved somehow?

------------------

God Bless America
Old 09-26-2001, 08:56 PM   #2
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I too hate those annoying things

I was sent the same messages after the terrorist attack (suess, letter from a canadian, blah blah blah) four times each!!

Our company put a reminder out in their last 'company propoganda bulletin' saying that the forwarding of chain letters was against company policy...oh boy there's a deterent if a few people actually got fired for it, then it might work!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-26-2001, 10:10 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

AUUUGHGHGHH!!! Can't stand the danged things. I've got a filter set up in my e-mail to where if there's more than one FWD: in the subject line, into the trash it goes.

My guess is that e-mail is such a simpler method than snail mail that it naturally lends itself to abusive practices such as chain letters. I know of very few people other than extreme superstitious types who would take the time and trouble to copy a chain letter out longhand (or go to the Kinko's across town to make copies of it) and address 10 envelopes and use 10 stamps to send it to ten "friends" (aaak, with friends like that, who needs an enema?). Whereas, in e-mail, it takes next to nothing to add 10 people from one's address book (or memory) to the TO: or CC: field and fire off the e-mail in one shot.

The way to fight it?

A. Don't perpetuate it...break the chain. Refuse to forward the message, and delete it.

B. Write the person back and let them know how you feel about it. If it's a valued friend or family member, be kind about it, but be firm.

C. If it continues (from the same person), repeat B, but be less kind. Eventually, hopefully, they'll get the picture. Remember, most messages like this emanate from someone you know.

Cheers,

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-26-2001, 10:17 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Strange. The only chain letters I have ever gotten in my life were in Junior High, passed around by paper. Never got any online??!! So Glad about that! Are these things the same as I remember, meaning, "send this letter to 10 other people, and tell them to send same to 10 other people," etc. all for "luck"?

------------------
Old 09-26-2001, 10:25 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Boy, are you ever lucky, LadyZ, or maybe just know the right people! I've get them from friends and family all the time, although I am persistantly weaning them away from sending them. I have to grit my teeth and put up with it from my mother, but that's the only one I suffer through...the others get it right back at them with a terse note to stop doing this.

*sigh* Oh well...

------------------

I know who you are...I saw what you did!
Old 09-27-2001, 02:30 AM   #6
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Got a story for you guys..

I recently got a forward that said people had visions about an impending earthquake in Singapore. Now I hate forwards as much as anyone else, but this time I decided that since most Singaporeans are dumb enough to believe anything, I chose to fabricate my OWN forward, along with fake names, dates, times and addresses, and then send it out and see how long it takes to get back to me.

What I wrote was something along the lines of, if America goes to war, it will then shut down all foreign assets, companies and buildings in the interests of its American citizens. Extremely exaggerated, but nearly believable if you dont know Jack..
I also wrote that if such a thing occured, the reeling Asian economy would then totally collapse, causing thousands to lose jobs and blablabla. I even added in the worsts parts of what happens in the worst affected nations, such as riots, hyper-inflation, political revolution, blablablablabla
Then, I sent it out.

This morning in the newspapers, there was an entire page dedicated to saying that if the US really went to war, the economy would take a hell of a long time to recover, blablablablabla.
Coincidence? Or something deeper..
hmm...

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 09-27-2001, 02:41 AM   #7
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I hate those forwards too...
I get a large ammount of pointless jokes and stories and so on just about everyday. Some of them are alright, but I pretty well delete anything that says forward. grrr...

I think that is some kind of eerie coincidence Lifetime... *Que the twilight zone music*

I like the new sig LadyZ, very stylish... :Bounce: :Bounce:
Cya round

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 09-27-2001, 02:55 AM   #8
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
I like the new sig LadyZ, very stylish... :Bounce: :Bounce:
Cya round

ROFLMAO!!!! Yeah LadyZ...they sure are....ummmm...perky. HEHEHEHE

You know, I have to get this off my chest. I was guilty of forwarding that De Suess and the Canadian thing. And I HATE those stupid chain letters. As much as they suck, at least the most recent spate of them has its heart in the right place. Still annoying though.

Lifetime...Creepy. Although...it could be fun....*Ponders*

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 09-27-2001, 06:17 AM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I'm sorta thinking that it will be damned cool if the news paper has to issue a general statement or something confirming that this chain letter that's been going around Singapore like wildfire is NOT true and people are NOT going to lose their jobs. Heh Heh HEh

Just for kicks, I faked up a whole news report from the Washington Post inside my letter. Its believable, and newspaper sites change their headlines so fast that its impossible to check. OOooh the possibilities..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 09-27-2001, 08:04 AM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I sure hate forwards, myself.
I have done as was suggested in here in that I have had to reply to someone forwarding "chain letters", etc. to me at work and ask them not to do that anymore. It is against our company policy and we even had to sign an agreement when we were finally hooked up to the e-mail system and internet that: 1. we would not send 'frivolous' e-mails and 2. we would not access, um, questionable internet sites.

Some people have violated these rules and HAVE been fired. Others with less severe violations have either received written reprimands in their personnel files or had their service terminated. Apparently, our work doesn't 'play around'.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Honored to be a member of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."