Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 10-14-2000, 02:50 AM   #1
Vardeman

I've got plenty of HD space for virtual memory that Windows is managing. I've got the latest video and sound drivers. I've got more than enough machine to run the game, yet it will NOT run!! First time I ran it, the intro movies ran, the splash screen showed up, a note or two of music played and it dumped me to the desktop. I'm guessing the intro movies are first time only, because now I just get the splash screen, one or two notes of music, and then desktop. Can anyone help?? I've looked through all 17 pages of messages here and haven't seen one that mentions this.

TIA,

Vardeman

Old 10-14-2000, 07:45 AM   #2
Mindless

It's unfair you have such problems with this great game..My only advice is to download and try some older drivers for your video and sound card..I've heard about people who solved most of their video problems by doing so..Also you could write about your configuration and see if other people with the "same" machine could be of any help...Good luck...

Old 10-14-2000, 08:48 AM   #3
Vardeman

Celeron 433 on an Abit BP6 motherboard
128 Mb PC100 SDRAM
8 gigs free on my system drive (windows handling virtual memory)
1 gig free on install drive
Diamond Viper V770 TNT2Ultra video (32 meg) NVidia drivers ver 4.12.01.0631 (dated 9-20-2000)
SBLive Value (EMU10K1.VXD ver 4.06.704)

Old 10-14-2000, 10:56 AM   #4
Gideon

Ech.. I would imagine its that Diamond Stealth thats doing you in! I have heard so much bad shit about that card its not even funny! I would go grab a different, better card as soon as possible and I can almost garauntee you won't have anymore probs. ANY Voodoo(3000,3500,5500,etc) card or GeForce will do just fine..and probably be faster as well! The Diamond Stealth/SBLive combo seem to be incompatible and very buggy(least it was with a few of my friends comps). Sorry

Old 10-14-2000, 02:11 PM   #5
Fyreball

I also was unable to play the game due to it crashing to desktop every time I left town. The only way I (and many others it seems from what I've read from the last 2 weeks on the boards) was able to get the game to run was by reinstalling my OS, which in my case is good ole Windows 95 SR2. And after running my OS install wizard that came with my Micron PC and totalling reinstalling my Windows directory the game runs just fine. Only one crash that I can recall and that was after hours of playing. I know that having to reinstall the OS seems like alot to do but it was worth it in my case as I am really enjoying the game now.

BTW, I also have a Diamond Viper V770 (TNT2) and the game is running great in D3D at 1024x768 (or whatever the highest res is). Although I am using the most recent Diamond drivers from their website. I believe they are dated around February of this year...

Fyreball

Old 10-14-2000, 05:57 PM   #6
AlexDok

Guys, I also had the same problem with the game. My system is: Athlon-T-bird 800/128 MB RAM/> 10 GB of free space, 300 MB swap/Win98SE(or WinME)/Asus 6600 Deluxe AGP 32 MB. Game just freezed every start (after showing intro movie). I resolved this problem only by disabling most of accelerating fuctions of my video (in System Properties/Advanced/Graphics/4 choices:NO-BASIC-NORMAL-FULL I put on BASIC) and run game in soft mode. Good luck
P.S.: when I run it on Matrox Millennium G200 all was fine, I was very stupid to upgrade my PC!
;(

Old 10-15-2000, 12:05 AM   #7
Vardeman

Okay, turned the accel down to basic and then to none, still the same thing. Uninstalled and reinstalled the game, too. I'm about the through the game in the fireplace...

Gideon: I have a Diamond Viper V770 TNT2 Ultra, not a Stealth... Never had any problems with it yet, and it's apparently a very popular video card.

Old 10-15-2000, 07:10 PM   #8
Anshar

Your video card should not be a problem. You should deffinately stick with the NVIDIA drivers, as Diamond hasn't updated theirs in forever. Make sure you have latest DirectX.
Also, update the BIOS on your video card too if you haven't done so already...sometimes new drivers need newest BIOS to work.

Another couple things to try would be to set your desktop color and resolution settings to the same ones that you are running the game in (800x600x16-bit or whatever). Also try changing your Virtual Memory to a manual setting, such as 128 minumum 256 maximum. Those things could help.

You can also try turning off any kind of monitoring software you may have running such as anti-virus software, Crashguard, or anything like that. They can often get in the way of games working right.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:31 AM   #9
Vardeman

How the heck do I upgrade the bios on my video card?

Old 10-18-2000, 04:25 AM   #10
Mindless

Try visiting www.nvidia.com or www.diamondmm.com for latest bios update...You'll find some info on how to flash it too...Good Luck..