Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-11-2002, 10:24 PM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

helo!! my cdrom just got busted and i was thinking that i buy something more than just and ordinary cdrom drive. i saw that there is a cdwriter with dvd compatible and just wondering if you guys have something like that. is it ok? the only brands available here is samsung and lg collins cdr w/ dvd which cost 4900 pesos or around 95 us dollars. it has a 8x dvd read and i think it was like 30+ X 12 X 30+ somthing speed. any suggestions?? i just want to know if it would be reliable and would last long. my last asus cdrom lasted for like 2 years before dying on me and i think that was pretty short.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-11-2002, 10:26 PM   #2
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

If you wanted it, I'd go with the Samsung. I suggest buying two drives, though. One CD writer and the other DVD. That way you can also copy one cd straight to another.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
chrisofthedale
Account Removed by Request

all i can do is burn music on cd's, i have a 2 in one job and i was so looking forward to burning games for money... i mean errr, um for friends
Old 11-11-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

A DVD ROM with CD-RW capability will be quite costly. Instead, get yourself a CD-RW drive and a DVD-ROM (master/slave or vise versa).
Old 11-12-2002, 12:12 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
A DVD ROM with CD-RW capability will be quite costly. Instead, get yourself a CD-RW drive and a DVD-ROM (master/slave or vise versa).
it would cost the same getting a dvd and cdwriter seperately or the same (actually its a little cheaper) BUT i already have 3 hard disk so i cant spare space anymore.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-12-2002, 12:23 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
helo!! my cdrom just got busted and i was thinking that i buy something more than just and ordinary cdrom drive. i saw that there is a cdwriter with dvd compatible and just wondering if you guys have something like that. is it ok? the only brands available here is samsung and lg collins cdr w/ dvd which cost 4900 pesos or around 95 us dollars. it has a 8x dvd read and i think it was like 30+ X 12 X 30+ somthing speed. any suggestions?? i just want to know if it would be reliable and would last long. my last asus cdrom lasted for like 2 years before dying on me and i think that was pretty short.
In my Sony laptop, I have the DVD CDR 'combo' drive, and it's nice, but for a home based PC, go with a seperate CDR and then a DVD player..

They have a dang 52X CD player now btw! wild.. Mine is 40x, and is VERY fast! Sounds like jets taking off! lol!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-12-2002, 12:44 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my Sony laptop, I have the DVD CDR 'combo' drive, and it's nice, but for a home based PC, go with a seperate CDR and then a DVD player..

They have a dang 52X CD player now btw! wild.. Mine is 40x, and is VERY fast! Sounds like jets taking off! lol!
thanks for the advice Z! but im kinda tight on space with my comp now.. hmmm... [img]smile.gif[/img] i wonder when they will go 100X... i bet that would sound like a rocket blasting off to space ! lol [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-12-2002, 12:49 AM   #8
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

they sometimes call them Superdrives... able to play and burn DVDs as well as read and burn CD RWs... Yeap i got me one of those, and a normal CDrw and DVDrw drives too [img]tongue.gif[/img] 3 drives still isn't enough some times though...
Old 11-13-2002, 03:56 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

just bumpin once [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-13-2002, 07:33 AM   #10
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:

it would cost the same getting a dvd and cdwriter seperately or the same (actually its a little cheaper) BUT i already have 3 hard disk so i cant spare space anymore.[/QUOTE]Get an SCSI host controller and you will have room for 8 extra devices.

The cost is somewhat higher for SCSI devices, but the performance is considerably better and cd-r operation is more reliable. Especially if you have a "real" operating system like Linux.