Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Would you all mind helping me out a bit? I just need a few suggestions on what to pick, what to fix, etc. As of now, I'm contemplating a 5-person party to run through the game with, and have 3 completely finished. I have a fourth in mind, but don't know what to pick as my last.
Ok, here are the three I have:

Human
Fighter
Str 14
Dex 15
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 11
Cha 13

Aasimar
Morninglord of Lathander
Str 12
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 11
Wis 16
Cha 14

Drow
Evoker
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 13
Int 17
Wis 16
Cha 12

I'm thinking maybe I should consider redistributing a few points around for the fighter. His stats were reflecting the background I had appointed him at the time of his making, but what he has might make things difficult.

What I have in mind for the 4th would be a Gnome Rogue/Illusionist (say 4:1 class-wise). And for the last, what would be best? I was thinking another fighter, perhaps? I'm not too much into playing barbs or paladins, so those two would be my last choice. And how do you assume this party will fare?
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #2
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

um, i know my party of four works, but im not sure about a whole lot of creation of party information. your rogue/illusionist bit won't work though, since (if i recall) rogues cannot cast spells at all.

best of luck.

edit: thought i would share with you my characters:

1)Promethius (Human male paladin/fighter)
2)Grugnak (Half Orc male pure barbarian)
3)Elisha (Human female cleric/druid)
4)Nehimez (Human male wizard/ranger)

1) promethius is used to play a general use character. he is an eloquent speaker and a pretty decent fighter. he guards the wizard and cleric while the barbarian scouts. Promethius is skilled in both longsword and bastard swords

2) Grugnak is a thug. he demands the rewards, and generally gets them. While the party waits with entangle spells, grugnak goes forward and plays bait to get enemies into the trap. Grugnak prefers the use of axes and maces in combat.

3) Elisha is a healer and conjurer, although she does possess a limited number of offensive spells. during combat she generally summons a couple monsters, heals her companions, and unleashes unicorn lances on competing spellcasters and sunflares on pesky trolls before they can regenerate. When her clerical devotion is stretched to max, she utilizes her longbow and short sword to dispatch her foes.

5) Nehimez is a powerful wizard (although he failed to learn aginazzers (sp?) scorcher, he still looks to try a second time at learning his favorite spell. Nehimez possesses no skill other than raining havoc on enemies with powerful destructive spells, a feat which he is most efficient at. When he isnt using his spells, Nehimez utilizes his skill with the crossbow and the staff.

[ 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: promethius9594 ]
Old 07-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
d3fton3s
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Donno, I think your fighter should have 10 int and wiz, and add the remaining points to con/str/dex/cha
I would go for more str/dex/con and drop the char to 12 and use the extra point as well.. Fighter should play golem and kill, not talk [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Works for me anyway lol [img]smile.gif[/img]

About the rest, seems good enoguh..
d3fton3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would suggest a druid - especially if you are planning to play on HoF mode. The high level elemental summoning spells that a druid gets are simply awesome. plus the high charisma will allow this character to be the party spokesman.

You might consider not specializing the mage. The loss of spell schools is not worth the extra spell per level imho. you can dump a ton of stat points into INT and get some very nice bonus spell slots. Although you could use a second fighter type, the morninglord can double as a fighter if necessary.

A paladin is something to consider if you want a second pure fighter. The NICEST weapon in the game is specifically designed to be used ONLY by a paladin, and its ALSO one of the toughest fights in the game as well. Plus there are a fair number of undead to encounter. If you DO chose a paladin, swap the human fighter for a dwarven fighter.

As a general tip, high charisma is wasted on a plain fighter. Move the points to Con or Str. Also a dex over 12 or 13 will be wasted if you put plate mail on the fighter as plate has a max dex bonus of +1. You're better off moving those extra points to Str or Con. Additionally, move one of the points of int to wisdom if you are so inclined. Odd points in 3E are wasted and you're better off keeping them on even numbers if possible and a human fighter already gets an extra skill point per level. Some feats DO require a dex of 13 that may be useful to the fighter, but double check the manual and prepare ahead.

In truth everybody has their favorite classes and parties. Just keep a well balanced mix of melee and ranged weaponry, with a mix of blunt piercing and slashing weapons in the party and make sure that all essential skills are covered by at least one member of the party. If you keep those general rules in mind, your party will do just fine.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Wow, thanks a ton Micah. Would giving my Morninglord a few levels of paladin work out? Since the favored class for Aasimar is paladin, I wouldn't get an xp penalty.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:32 PM   #6
Micah Foehammer

Either a single class paladin aasimir or mixing in a few levels of cleric would make a nice character. [img]smile.gif[/img] Check out the weapon restrictions for the cleric (if any). You would NOT want to mix a cleric with a paladin if the cleric has restrictions against using bladed weapons. (I don't think that is the case but check JUST to make sure.) My preference for fighters (including paladins) is to generally make then single class, but some people swear by the fighter/cleric mix. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Old 07-14-2004, 04:42 AM   #7
d3fton3s
Elite Waterdeep Guard

And watch out, you don't wanna let your paladin speak for the party after completing a task, or no reward will be given..
d3fton3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
Micah Foehammer

Not always true, as sometimes a paladin WILL accept rewards. It's better to be safe than sorry though. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-17-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
Sacred_Exile
Dungeon Master

OOOHHH and promethius9594 your palidan/fighter that wasn't very smart at all!
Old 07-17-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I beg to differ. The party has it's strong points and others. Prometheus won't report success, Grugnak is the one who will brake the good news first(success) and then the bad news(money). He's skilled in longswords, which is excellent for a little special sword later on, and he's also used to bastard swords, who are a bit underpowered in IWD2, and overpowered in Dalekeeper 2. Personally I'd go with Greatswords and not bastards, but I know there are good hand-and-a-halfers out there too. Him and Grugnak are at the head of the party which means ample cover for the weaker classes behind.