Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2001, 10:20 AM   #1
PresidentClinton

I had posted this message on the previous board but I didn't get to see if there were any responses, so I figured I would do it again. I am having problems getting the XP cap remover to work. It is located in the Override file, as people have told me, but it is not working. Do I need to open it in order to get it to work? And if so, how do I open it? When I have tried to do so in the past, a message popped up saying, "Windows cannot find America. This program is needed to open files of this type." What is this? Anyone know?

Old 01-11-2001, 10:48 AM   #2
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

Have you unzipped it Pres?. That's what I did and it worked fine.
Old 01-11-2001, 04:39 PM   #3
Verminaard

does anybody know if you can still multi-player with other people if you install this patch? or does everyone else also need to install the patch in order to get a game going...

Verminaard

Old 01-11-2001, 11:36 PM   #4
PresidentClinton

I am not a computer expert by any means, so I ask a stupid question: How do I go about unzipping it? Could you e-mail me with the specifics or post it here? Sorry for any inconvenience...

Old 01-12-2001, 03:43 AM   #5
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Ok, if you got this from most of the regular sites, it should be a self-executable zip file. What this means is, you double click on it to run. Then it has a section saying, "Unzip to folder". Directly under this, it will prompt you where to put it. It should say, "Unzip to BG "Override" folder!!!" What you need to do here is click on the browse button to the right of it and find your bgii directory. Wherever you first installed it. Then you need to find the override directory that is inside of the baldurs gate directory. I think it normally puts it to c:\program files\black isle\bgII\ so you just find the folder that is listed when you click on that which says override and you have it. Another way you can find it if you don't know is to use your find option under the start button on your main display. When you have it pointed to the right place, just select unzip and you are done. It sounds hard, but it's really not. Just take your time with it.
Old 01-12-2001, 03:46 AM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Ok, I think I totally misunderstood what you were asking here. I think you are saying that the file type is not associated correctly. What you can do to open the file is use notepad or some other text editor that you are familiar with and open it that way. Then you can see the file and can change the number to 1. I believe that's what it is. The way I told you is from the teambg website, they have a program that will do that for you. The way I mentioned in the prior message is how you use that.
Old 01-12-2001, 10:06 PM   #7
PresidentClinton

No, you got it right the first time, I believe. I did get to the one file and entered the Debug line where I needed to (if that is what you meant). I have the cap remover in the override folder of BGII, no problem there. When I go to double-click it, though, the following message pops up- "Windows cannot find America. This program is needed to open files of type 'my files.'" Then it asks for the location of America, and I hit the c: drive to see if it is there somewhere, and there is no such program anywhere on my drive. Anyone know what "America" is and how I can get it? Remember, you are talking to someone who knows not a lot about computers but is willing to learn...

Old 01-13-2001, 12:19 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

I'm not sure exactly what America is, but if you have it installed in the override folder, that's it. You're done. Just play the game and it will work. All it did was to put a copy of that file in the folder to disable the cap. You don't need to run another program after it's installed. America is/should be something that you somehow set to edit INI files. There are ways to disable this, but I only know the advanced ways and wouldn't recommend that to a newbie. Go ahead and try the game and give it a try. You should be set up.
Old 01-14-2001, 10:53 AM   #9
PresidentClinton

Sounds good. I'll give it a try and get back to you in a day or two for a "progress report."

Old 01-15-2001, 06:23 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Digging this thread back up with a question. How do you know the XP cap is successfully removed when you haven't reached the cap yet. And what exactly does it do? In other words, Anomen can't level up anymore past fighter 7 and imoen can't level up past thief 7. Does the XP cap change that? And what is the number of the XP cap (if I knew then when I finally went over said number, I would know the XP cap remover was working). Does this make any sense? Any answers much appreciated!