Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2001, 01:06 PM   #1
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

I went camping recently at Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in Tennesee. Awesomely beautiful place, an Eden. Anybody else been there?

There is a world of difference between the weekends and the weekdays there. I would advise to avoid the weekends -- it is such a popular destination that the crowds of humans spoil it somewhat, for me anyway. The weekdays are a different story -- room enough to enjoy the beautiful natural serenity of the place. Bicycling around the 11 mile loop through the cove is a great way to experience it then.
Old 08-22-2001, 01:52 PM   #2
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Nope I haven't been there yet. Maybe i'll go someday... Would you like the describe this awesomely beautiful place?

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-22-2001, 10:37 PM   #3
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I can describe it. It's like a mountain vally completely surrounded by mountains. A bowl if you will. Back in the 1800's it was settled and there were numerous farms there. When they opened the Great Smokey Mountains National Park in the 1930's, they allowed the people then living there to remain on their farms until they died. the National Park Service has kept the cove much as it was 100 years ago. With the exception of an 11 mile asphalt loop road that goes around the cove. The kept all of the old homes, cabins, churches and even an old working mill. They even cook Sorgham Mallasses there some times. The best campground in the Smokeys is at Cades Cove.
They can probably put 200-300 campers in there. There is also a picnic area and many trails in and around the cove. You can hike to a bald from the cove.
A bald is a mountain top that has no trees. Back in the old days farmers use to send their cattle up on the these balds in the summer time to browse. Now they claim to fame is the Azealeas that bloom there in the later part of may and june. They are awesome to look at!

There is a varity of wildlife to be found in the cove. Deer are numerous. There are also bear, turkey, coyotes, foxes, otters, skunks (lots of these), raccoon and hopefully soon elk. They released a bunch this last spring with the help of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (Created by hunters. See they do good things too!)

It can get pretty crowded there especially during the spring and the later part of October (the leaves turn and the color reviles that of Vermont or New Hampshire). The smokeys are the most visited park in the US (at least East of the Mississippi). If you should decide to visit, I'd go during the week, like Diogenes hinted at.

Here is a Website with some pictures amd some information.

http://www.smokymtnmall.com/mall/cadesmap.html

Hope I helped!!!

Diogenes, the next time you go camping there, pick a week when there is a full moon. Then bike Cades Cove at night!!! Awesome!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?

[This message has been edited by Sir Taliesin (edited 08-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Sir Taliesin (edited 08-22-2001).]
Old 08-22-2001, 11:09 PM   #4
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Sir Taliesin answered first I see

The only thing I will add is that as interesting as the old buildings are to an amateur historian like me, it is the loveliness of the mountain valley itself that is the real attraction.