Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 09:11 AM   #1
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

I uninstalled a scanner driver last night, and instead of restarting right away, I decided that I would restart my computer in a moment when I finished downloading a file.. After the file downloaded, I was moving the file from my desktop to another folder, when the computer monitor lost its signal, after a few min's of playing with it, I decided to reboot. When I did it showed that windows needed to scan the drive, it found a corrupt file (file 29) and it fixed it.. But now when I try to startup.. I get all the way to the Windows XP Pro splash page, and then I get a blue screen stating that there was a "Stop Error" the error code is "0x000007e" and it then begins a dump of the physical memory..

Is there any way to get around that, so that I can fix this issue? I know it is not a hardware issue.. It has to be a software issue, however it wont let me into the system to try and fix it.. Any help would be greatly apriciated, as my wife was in the middle of a very large project and needs to get back on the machine..

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:04 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Boy, oh, boy... I don't have any good answers for you, but what I would try is:

1 Reboot in safe mode and see if you can get in;
2 Do the registry restore thing (don't have XP, or I'd have better details)
3 Reinstall Windows over the top (basically, do a repair)

Among those three, you should be covered.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

Sadly, I cannot get in through safe mode either.. I was trying to avoide doing a reinstall / repair with the disk, as it tends to change lots of things.. I was hoping that there was a way to get back in somehow.. /shrug.. I guess I will take your advise and try to do the system repair with the disk..

Thanks for the advise!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Elif Godson
Dracolich

try here maybe it will help or this one Microsoft

[ 11-25-2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 11-25-2003, 10:20 AM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

hmm, I should have read that better, let me see what I can find for you, if you cant start it in safe mode you may be pretty well hosed, but do not dispair
Old 11-25-2003, 11:06 AM   #6
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

It may be that XP can be started from a bootable CD. If so, you might be able to repair or restore your startup to its last known good configuration.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 11-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

Ok now I'm having problems still.. I used the XP disk to try and repair the windows installation, however it does not seem to even see the windows installation.. It is asking me if I want to reformat the drive or just install over the current file system.. The issue with that is that it says that I will loose the current "My Documents" folders, and there is ALOT of info in there that I really need.. Any way that I can get windows to see itself on the drive? It is showing that it can see the /windows folder.. but not that it sees a current installation of Windows XP..

Any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
It may be that XP can be started from a bootable CD. If so, you might be able to repair or restore your startup to its last known good configuration.
I know that the computer can be started from a windows installation CD (had to do this because once my computer died during a windows upgrade and neither the new nor the old one was working), but to do this you have to change the setting in BIOS of what things the computer looks for when booting, like floppy, C:, cd..

I don't know about being able to start windows though.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 PM   #9
Sukodin
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
I know that the computer can be started from a windows installation CD (had to do this because once my computer died during a windows upgrade and neither the new nor the old one was working), but to do this you have to change the setting in BIOS of what things the computer looks for when booting, like floppy, C:, cd..

I don't know about being able to start windows though. [/QB]
I know you can start it with the Windows CD, however I cannot get it to work properly doing the repair..

/cry!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

One of my friends once had a problem with his os, and what he did was install XP on his mobile rack at a friends place, then he went home and booted up with that, recovered what data he needed and after a format installed windows again on his hardrive, though I would say that that is a pretty radical method.