Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #1
Firim Silraven
Dungeon Master

I'm currently playing a game in which my only NPC is Aerie, and I'm finding it quite hard so far. My PC is a fighter/mage/thief level 8/9/9 and Aerie is level 9 in both cleric and mage. But I'm finding two battles particularly hard, which is annoying because I decided to do the quests because I thought they'd be easier than alternatives.

I'm doing the quest to get Sir Sarles for the temple, and when it comes to fighting Neb, it's very hard, mainly due to the annoying little ghost kids. I know that you get exp. for each spirit left alive (well, still there) at the end of the battle so I've tried not to harm too many and kill Neb ASAP. Different tactics I've used:

1:Blast him with 3 magic missiles (thanks to minor spell sequencer), pump 3 fireballs into the end where he hides, then I tend to be so level drained with Aerie dead that my only option is go and hit him, where I get killed.

2: Magic missiles again, cloudkill, and run outside. The first time I tried this, the cloudkill worked and took quite a lot of HP off him, but he had healing potions. The next two times I tried it, the cloudkill didn't work. I sent it out using the wand and I saw the clouds but when I went outside there was no damage happening to Neb.

Any tips on how to get rid of the critter? And protection from the spirits?

Another fight I'm finding hard is the three Rakshasa in the druid grove in the Trademeet genie quest. No spells are working so I'm going with the buttkick method, and it's not working. It's me getting my butt kicked.

HELP! PLEASE?
Old 07-28-2003, 02:00 PM   #2
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Use your thief abilities to backstab Neb...if you have a pretty decent wepaon, you should be able to cause some major damage right off the bat, and finish him off quickly.

The Rakshashas are very difficult to damage with both spells and weapons. IIRC you need some quite powerful weapons to damage them, and spells below the highest levels are useless. Leave them for later, IMHO. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 02:30 PM   #3
jinny
Dungeon Master

seriously... whats with the severing of his head.... so unnecessary isnt his dagger enough?

[ 07-28-2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: jinny ]
Old 07-28-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

SPOILER
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
You can bring the head to one of the inspectors in the government building for rounding up a criminal ->XP and some gold and a rep point IIRc
Old 07-28-2003, 09:56 PM   #5
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
The Rakshashas are very difficult to damage with both spells and weapons. IIRC you need some quite powerful weapons to damage them, and spells below the highest levels are useless. Leave them for later, IMHO. [img]smile.gif[/img]
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Summons make all of the difference in the world on these guys. Summon stuff onto the upper level to distract the other two Rakshashas, and make sure you are buffed (especially haste). Once she turns hostile, hit her fast and hard. Note that Melf's Minute Meteors are considered as +5 weapons, and are probably the most effective thing you will have to use against them. With both you are Aerie hitting the main Rakshasha with MMM, she should go down pretty quick. Throwing summons against her helps, too, as this can pull away damage against you. Once you drop the main one, then you can focus on the other ones, one at a time. Keep them distracted with summons (the Wand of Fodder is great for this purpose).

Neb is also handled quite well with summons to distract the kids. In addition, invisibility allows you to get behind him after the conversation and give him a nice hello with the end of your blade. Stay on him in melee, as his strength is his spells. If you do enough damage quickly enough, you should not get drained enough to make a huge difference (in fact, the fight can be short enough that you can have Aerie cast Negative Plane Protection + Haste for great effect).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

First try casting Invisibility Purge since you have a cleric to reveal Neb, but usually he hides behind his counter away from the ghosts. When he emerges, attack quickly, he doesn't have any Magic Resistance (or any resistance for that matter) so cast Melf's Acid Arrow and Hold Person to keep him in place and have him take damage. Since you have a theif, you can try to backstab him while he's held or just fight him right out and he should drop quickly. Once he's dead, the ghosts will disappear.

The Rakshashas are tough if you're not not at a particularly high level, so I would suggest using summons and Cloud Kill, Spell Turning and Spell Deflection doesn't hurt either.

[ 07-28-2003, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #7
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:

The Rakshashas are tough if you're not not at a particularly high level, so I would suggest using summons and Cloud Kill, Spell Turning and Spell Deflection doesn't hurt either.
Cloudkill won't work because Rakshashas are imune to all spell levels 1-7. You may notice during the fight that one of the Rakshashas likes to cast clouldkill at YOU and it doesn't hurt them even though there standing in it's area of effect. Also spell deflection and spell turning won't have an effect because the spells being deflected back won't be of a high enough level. If your going to try summons you better make sure there attacks strike as magical weapons because normal non magical weapons don't work on Rakshaskas.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:36 PM   #8
BaRoN NiGhT

and if u get tired/injured by the rakshasas, u can always go out from their withuot being followed by them, then do whatever u want before entering again.

------------------------
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:03 PM   #9
Pyrenk
Symbol of Cyric

Fire elementals would help =p
Old 07-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #10
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin
The Magister

Get rid of Aerie, get Edwin, become pure evil, detach Neb's head from his shoulders using the most primitive weapon you can find (I used a mace), sell his head (alternatively, take it to the government building). For Ihtafeer, and her two little rakshasah friends, summon fire elementals, fighters are good at fighting the two rakshasahs, but won't have much effect on Ihtafeer. Try to get some armour that has a good defence to electricity, Ihtafeer always uses chain lightning.
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote