Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Man dies of hypothermia in his own home

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchke View Post
I find quotes like this funny. Although it most likely has to do with making the extra buck before year end. Not sure if it is traded or not as it is city run so shareholders may or may not be a factor. But the ironic thing is I don't think it is any easier to get there money back after the guy freezes to death and is dead.
Which sounds almost logical in theory, but in practice, they don't seem to like it. Otherwise they'd be doing what you suggested.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
..maybe they were trying to "freeze" his assets?
/Facepalm
Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I have several thoughts on this story.

First, I don't speak enough languages to sufficiently curse power companies. I had my own confrontations with our local company and the only viable solution for dealing with them involves two uzi's and a chainsaw.

The main thing I learned when I challenged the power company is that there is no regulation over them. The state level says it's the responsibility of the town. The town says they have no authority over the power company. The translation is that the power company is a serious revenue machine and the no gov't body is gonna mess with the candy wagon. So power companies have free reign to do what they want.

Yes, they jack the prices up in the winter over and above what your actual "usage" would be.
Yes, they threaten to shut off your power if don't pay your bill (OR if you are dumbass enough to challenge them) and
Yes, they can do this with impunity because no authority is gonna go against them.

I've also been in the home of an elderly war veteran who had to wear several layers of clothes, his winter coat and his gloves inside his house because he couldn't afford to pay his bill if he turned on his heat. Fortunately for him, this guy DOES have a neighbor that checks on him every day to make sure everything is alright.

As for gov't assistance, the ONLY option available is help buying heating oil, and that comes in the form of a one time check each winter - IF you apply in time AND there is enough money to pay out. Even in assisted living and public housing, electricity is still part of your rent (your rent covers the housing and utilities together). The lowest rate available at our local housing complex is more than $400/month. While that's a good price for rent, electric and phone, it's still a big chunk for someone on a fixed income that probably has meds to buy each month too.

As for the evil incarnate power company themselves, the bottom line is that they did apparantly give this guy some warning and some chances to pay his bill. Power companies can typically disconnect your power if your payment is one day late. Realistically, they usually give you at least 32 days (because they also usually have a deposit on hand to cover one month payment). So if you go 1 month and 1 day, then your facing a real threat of losing power. The power company is in a position of absolute...well, "power"...because they know you HAVE to have electricity and power companies do NOT cross each other's territories, so each one has a monopoly in their area.

That being said, it sounds like they gave this guy at least 2 (and maybe even 3) months of non-payment first. Then put the restrictor on the house as a last ditch effort before turning off the power. As much as I hate to say it, it sounds like the power company did actually go a little soft on this guy before finally turning off the power.

Also, at least some of the neighbors knew what was going on. They were aware his power bill hadn't been paid and the company had put a restrictor on his house. It seems like someone could have stepped up to organize a fundraiser for the guy or found someone to give him a place to stay until the bill was paid.

It's a tragic situation and I avidly hate power companies in general, but it sounds like they did what they could this time, short of just turning a blind eye to the bill. While that would have been an incredibly humanitarian thing to do, it very well could lead to even more people just deciding to not pay their bills.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #14
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchke View Post
The mans wife already died and he had no children. While the neighbors may take some of the blame. How about a policy of not shuting off the heating source during the winter months from October to March. Do there shut offs in the April to September range.
Then he would die of heatstroke in August instead of hypothermia in January. Not much of a difference.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:03 AM   #15
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, the company did nothing wrong. His home was, in fact, heated by a gas furnace according to reports, but the lack of electricity can make them work improperly.

The electric company has now suspended all disconnections, and removed all of the devices they have on customer units. Above and beyond the call of duty for a retail electric provider IMO.

That man, who was apparently suffering from early dementia, should have had a provider sent by the state. Even if it was to simply check up on him for 20 mins a day. I am reading these reports about people not knowing who to be angry at in this case. I can tell them it ain't the light company. The state is the first issue, another veteran forgotten by the government. But then, how were they to know how people are faring, if they have help from family or friends? Well, the next issue is the neighbours, who never even suggested he get some government aid.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

There's an update to this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/04/fre...olo/index.html

It is thought that he actually had a lot of money that he has willed over to a local hospital.
At this time, they cannot confirm how much he had, but it is rumored to be a large amount.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Man who froze to death left $600,000.00
Quote:
updated 10:26 a.m. ET, Thurs., Feb. 5, 2009

BAY CITY, Mich - An attorney says a 93-year-old Michigan man who froze to death after a power company restricted electricity to his home over roughly $1,000 in unpaid bills left an estimated $600,000 to a hospital.

Marvin Schur's attorney, Cathy Reder, told the Detroit Free Press the World War II veteran bequeathed his entire fortune to Bay Medical Center.

Schur's frozen body was found Jan. 17, four days after Bay City Electric Light & Power installed a device on his electric meter that cuts power after a predetermined level is reached.

State regulators on Wednesday issued emergency rules designed to protect more people against electricity or heat shutoffs in the winter.
I'll bet the neighbors are really kicking themselves now for not being friendlier to the old man...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:35 AM   #18
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

At this point, I would say he wanted to die.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Walworth said his uncle was a frugal man who hadn't eaten at a restaurant for over 30 years. "He was very tight, and he was very frugal. But he did manage to save a lot of money."
This sounds more like good old cheapness than frugality to me.

I don't want to take a p*ss at a recently deceases man, but there might be an element of pride and cheapness involved here ("I'm not paying those bastards!"). He obviously had the means to pay the electric company, but didn't.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Lavindathar
Harper

I really don't think anyone is to blame except the man himself.

He obviously had the money to, but didnt.

I agree with Stratos, probably a case of being stubborn.