Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #11
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Serious Computer 'Halp' Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
If you have it, I would put an anti-virus disc in the drive and see if it finds anything.

Is it TDC that works for Norton?
Won't get as far as that. It's BIOS or Windows Setup for me. That's all it'll give me seein as I nuked the drive in the hope of re-formatting it. Positive it's a hardware issue. HDD is deader that corduroy.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #12
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Toshiba laptops should have either a recovery partition or recovery disks if the machine is an older model. Models 2 yrs. old or less usually require that you create your own recovery disks, a task that should be done shortly after taking ownership of said laptop. You need to get all of the documentation that came with the CP and read it.
ATTENTION !! If you are trying to recover data off of this HDD then STOP MESSING with it RIGHT NOW! Unfortunately there are no "free" options left, I'm afraid. It sounds as if the HDD has either physically failed OR the MBR has become corrupted.
So, it sounds like you have an OS to put on this CP....which OS?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.

Last edited by ElfBane; 01-12-2009 at 07:29 AM. Reason: clarity
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #13
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
Won't get as far as that. It's BIOS or Windows Setup for me. That's all it'll give me seein as I nuked the drive in the hope of re-formatting it. Positive it's a hardware issue. HDD is deader that corduroy.
HEY, I have 4 pairs of cords!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
HEY, I have 4 pairs of cords!
I have one too.. But they only go with that creme shirt I have. But boy how! Brown Cords, Creme shirt, burgundy suspenders, red doc martin boots and my brown derby hat. That is an outfit to behold. In fact where is all that stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Toshiba laptops should have either a recovery partition or recovery disks if the machine is an older model. Models 2 yrs. old or less usually require that you create your own recovery disks, a task that should be done shortly after taking ownership of said laptop. You need to get all of the documentation that came with the CP and read it.
ATTENTION !! If you are trying to recover data off of this HDD then STOP MESSING with it RIGHT NOW! Unfortunately there are no "free" options left, I'm afraid. It sounds as if the HDD has either physically failed OR the MBR has become corrupted.
So, it sounds like you have an OS to put on this CP....which OS?
Oh the data is long gone. There wasn't much on it. I nuked the thing in the first place when trying to reformat. Am installing a new hard drive today.

(BLOODY CABLE HAS COME LOOSE AT THE BACK OF THE MONITOR NOW TOO! IT NEVER ENDS!)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

I've just replaced the hard drive and got it back working now. But I can't find the sound/video drivers anywhere. I've googled it loads and also can't find them on the Toshiba website. Anyone any ideas?

____

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Activation Status Activation Pending (30 days remaining)
System Name USER-E1A56B2917
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model EQUIUM M40X
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.60, 09/06/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.34
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name USER-E1A56B2917\Owner
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 350.64 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'd contact Toshiba support and ask them. Given the serial number of the machine, they should be able to find the right drivers.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Give us model and serial numbers. Was the laptop made for US/Canada or UK/Europe markets? It may matter because if the PC was made for European markets, the drivers location may only be on the Toshiba Europe website(at least I 'think' Toshiba has regional websites..check it out!).

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote