Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Well here in Europe it is already the first of may, so the new countries are joining today. (along with Hungary!! [img]smile.gif[/img] )

What do you think this enlargement will bring for Europe and the rest of the world?

I won't post an article. If you want to see any just go to a news site and you should be able to find several.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 01:47 AM   #2
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

<- me: looks at the european union and ponders bi-superpower world again...
Old 05-01-2004, 01:50 AM   #3
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
Then look at China and imagine the wonders of the tri-superpower world.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:11 AM   #4
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

I think it's a good idea although everyone here is worried about immigrants. I don't see what the problem is as most countries in western Europe (especially Scotland) have falling populations so we need a good old influx of immigrants. So I've been told in my Modern studies class.

[ 05-01-2004, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: General Nosaj ]
Old 05-01-2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I think this will benefit us in the long run. Besides, recent government studies have indicated that the flow of immigrants into The Netherlands won't be as bad as people feared.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:40 AM   #6
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
I think this will benefit us in the long run. Besides, recent government studies have indicated that the flow of immigrants into The Netherlands won't be as bad as people feared.
You've got to be kidding! Government studies have been *desperate* to show that immigration won't be as bad as the general populace expects it to be - and frankly, the Dutch government has never been afraid of publishing *clearly biased* reports to prop up an official position.

A recent independent survey in Poland found that 20% of 18-25 year olds planned to move to the 'established' EU states within five years - that doesn't sound like the older member states have 'nothing' to worry about.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:45 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I've also heard that most of them regard Holland as the ideal spot to start building up a new existance. I'm afraid they might be a little misinformed, because there are hardly any decent jobs available here, and unemployement is rising each month.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:53 AM   #8
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I've also heard that most of them regard Holland as the ideal spot to start building up a new existance. I'm afraid they might be a little misinformed, because there are hardly any decent jobs available here, and unemployement is rising each month.
No jobs for them? Let me think, do I hire the ex-east block guy for half the going rate (who is very pleased with the 'massive' salary) or hire the Dutchman... who won't work for less than a fair wage...

I think that they will find jobs even in the Netherlands.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
Then look at China and imagine the wonders of the tri-superpower world. [/QUOTE]Then consider India in 50 years joining the party [img]smile.gif[/img]

As far as the UK is concerned, migrants will only be allowed here to work (because we do have a real shortage in industrial skills) and will only be able to claim benefits etc after one year of continuous employment. Healthcare treatment like the NHS will be paid for by their home countries if needed so they still have access to basic medical needs. Existing refugees from these countries will have to find work or will be sent back as now the countries are considered safe enough.

It seems like it shouldn't have that bad an impact on us, even if it was 'last minute' legislation. The biggest threats are the transfer of funding from poverty stricken areas in Old Europe to New Europe and also fiscal management - the EU cannot sustain its current budget especially re agriculture with the new members as well. This makes the upcoming referendum on the new European constitution all the more important of course...

[ 05-01-2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, if they're going to prostitute themselves like that, i guess you're right. But don't you think that educated young Polish know how much they can really make ? And that they would still do it for much less than Dutch citizens would, just to get that job ?

Poland must be one giant shithole if they want to leave THAT desperately.

[ 05-01-2004, 07:12 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]