Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 12-01-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I just got HotU, so I now have both expansions. I'm planning on joining this once I get NWN running on a computer with internet access. I don't quite know what this is, so I've got a few questions about it.

What is Escape from Undermountain?

I've completed the OC and partially played the SoU campaign, will I know what I'm doing with both expansions, or should I do the expansion campaigns?

What's the difficulty compared with the OC on normal?

Will I be fine without the special class-things from SoU? (planning to create a pure fighter, for simplicity)

I've never done an online game of NWN before, is there anything I should know? (I think I can follow Ziroc's instructions for how to find Escape from Undermountain from the 'How to Join and Play' sticky.)

How will I communicate with other players? I don't really want to try to communicate just through emotes.

I've got XP on the only online computer at my house, and NWN wouldn't run, for some reason. It would just sit there after doing anything to start NWN after installing it, as if it was totally ignoring that command. When I told the computer to shut down, a window would pop up asking me if I wanted to 'End Task' on NWN. How can I run NWN on XP?

Alternately, anyone good at networking? My dad's getting AOL-compatible wireless network cards, and we're planning on linking the online computer with the one that happens to work with NWN.

Thanks for helping, and I hope I won't be too much trouble once I get to Undermountain.
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:23 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Ok, lets take the xp thing first, because I'm running NWN on xp, and have had very little problems. Check the video settings first, as they gave me fits. If you still can't get it to run, some of the more guru gurus here will be able to help you. As for communicating with the rest of us, I hope you can type, lol, because you'll be doing a lot of it. The difficulty is harder than the OC, but not drastically so, if your properly equipped. It is a server vault, which means you'll be rolling a new char, but you can get an early boost, as is mentioned in the how to join and play sticky, I believe, but if you want to play a pure class, any class, you will eventually be fine, as I said it is harder than the oc, so...I'm thinking that should just about cover you. Welcome to one of the best online games that I've ever played, and once you go down the well, good luck. See ya there.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

piece of advice that Robert forgot to mention.....do not open any hidden doors until you have a few levels under your belt.....
Old 12-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #4
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Howdy and welcome to the Escape from Undermountain board.

For detaisl on what you will need to play on our server click on the link in my sig. Our server requires a 2 custom content hacks to make your online experence even better.

It has already been mentioned that as we run a server vault you will be rolling up a new character and using that character online (you can create more than one)

You will start the mod as a level 1 character however you will quickly level up to level 7 before doing any fighting whatsoever.

If this is your first time through undermountain i would recommend a fighter type character as they are generally a bit eaiser to play until you get used to the types of creatures Ziroc has cooked up for us.

I would also recommend looking over the team Ironworks thread so you will know when some of the others from here are online. If you ever see me online and need a hand give me a shout and let me know.

EDIT: Because I am stupid and was tired when typing

[ 12-03-2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]
Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
piece of advice that Robert forgot to mention.....do not open any hidden doors until you have a few levels under your belt.....
O....U...C...H [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] That is good advice, that I had to give to myself, after an extended abscence. Thank you Stormy, for bringing that up.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
If you ever see me online and see a hand give me a should and let me know.
is it just me...or does this make no sense what-so-ever? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
quote:
is it just me...or does this make no sense what-so-ever? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I was out of coffee when I read it the first time, so I thought it was just me. Now that I know, HUH???
Old 12-03-2004, 08:40 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

In my opinion, Escape from Undermountain is really best when you play as part of a party, but it is also pretty good solo if that's your style. I would heed the 'don't use portals or doors you aren't sure of' advice til you've got your character leveled up a bit.. well, alot! LOL [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

But mostly, I think you'll get the idea once you log in and start playing. And there's lots of help available here and in the game when others are logged on, so don't be afraid to ask someone to explain things when you need it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 AM   #9
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I see you've been drinking again, old son!

"If you ever see me online and need a hand, give me a shout and let me know."

~TDC's intentional sentence.

LS0158: Have all your questions been answered well enough or is there something more we can do to get you running online?

[ 12-03-2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 12-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #10
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

Thanks for the advice. I remembered we got a new graphics card for city of heroes, and I'll have to see if NWN has any issues with it.

The only question I have now is exactly where to type. I've never played NWN online before, and in the campaigns there's only NPCs to talk to.
LS0158 is offline   Reply With Quote