Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM   #31
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Reading first post, feeling fine
Second post, awww no real comments but still cheerfull there's many more posts, somone must have picked up the ball on this..
Third post... what a grouch, hmph...
Fith post, hope your joking..
Ellventh post, grow up and stop flambaiting..
Fithteenth post..

Well I could go on, Vaskez, you do know that pissing on somone elses fire will likley upset anyone huddled around it for warmth. You might have a whatever in computer engneering, it don't make you any smarter than anyone else, and it don't make you better at computing either.. It's only a piece of paper saying that your compleated a course at Uni. or maybe college...

Back to the topic

You forgot insane, or drug addict depending on how you view it, he ride's a flying sleigh..

He enters the house with a sack as well, put's some cheep tacky toy's down and who know's what he takes, Maybe he's the one who steals half your socks leaving you with only odd pairs.. Is it a coinsidense that you always get's socks for X-mas while constantly losing them in the wash..

I say he's emptying the washing machines secrect sock compartment, it's the only explination.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:55 AM   #32
Sigmar
Unicorn

Thank you for the review of the thread. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Jeeze, they were just having fun in a light-hearted thread. Don't take stuff too seriously here, at least in Gen Con anyway.

Lighten up.

[ 12-18-2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 12-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #33
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
Reading first post, feeling fine
Second post, awww no real comments but still cheerfull there's many more posts, somone must have picked up the ball on this..
Third post... what a grouch, hmph...
Fith post, hope your joking..
Ellventh post, grow up and stop flambaiting..
Fithteenth post..

Well I could go on, Vaskez, you do know that pissing on somone elses fire will likley upset anyone huddled around it for warmth. You might have a whatever in computer engneering, it don't make you any smarter than anyone else, and it don't make you better at computing either.. It's only a piece of paper saying that your compleated a course at Uni. or maybe college...

Who are you, anyway?? Never seen any of your posts, it's always good to be put in my place by strangers (even in internet terms ) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Firstly, upsetting people for humour (if they can't take it) is my specialty However, there ARE areas I respect and don't touch, such as religion, serious illness etc. there are boundaries for pisstaking. As for the santa thing, I was just stating that I don't really like the recent trend of turning everything into something dodgy. It seems everyone's humour nowadays only consists of sexual or similar jokes.

And well I HATE to be a smartass (yeah right) but a 1st class four year masters degree in Computer Engineering from the top university (for that department, in the 2003 government inspections) in the UK DOES make you smarter than most people (on a national scale, while of course there are many people smarter within the research community) in general. Calling it just a piece of paper is like calling marriage just a piece of paper (i.e. dumb). The small detail you missed was that you had to complete all exams and coursework over 4 years at a high average grade to GET that piece of paper. Other than that you're right, it IS a small piece of paper. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't about me trying to make me sound good; everyone who achieves something deserves the credit due, and you're making out like people all over the world earning degrees are actually doing crap all. I was just using that line like a joke, cos I couldn't think of any other reason for not actually bothering to mess around with MS paint on one of Stormy's pics. But you had to set me off... I HATE it when people dismiss years of work as nothing...

Oh and Gangrell, cheers for lightening up the mood, you cheeky bastard, where've you been?

[ 12-18-2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #34
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Oh and Gangrell, cheers for lightening up the mood, you cheeky bastard, where've you been?
Been lurking around for the most part, school's been sucking up a lot of my time but now it's the holidays so I'll probably post more. I've seen you at work in a few threads lately and it was a calling for me to return
Old 12-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #35
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
I was just using that line like a joke, cos I couldn't think of any other reason for not actually bothering to mess around with MS paint on one of Stormy's pics.

I actually do not use MS paint [img]tongue.gif[/img] I graduated to other areas thank you very much
Old 12-18-2004, 05:43 PM   #36
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Vaskez, I was simply pointing out that a peice of paper does not make you any smarter.

It also does not make you smarter than the national average, it just means you got more bit's of paper than them.

Hell look at the IT GCSE, it's been a fools subject for years, basic computing skills and not much more.

I didn't say everyone getting degree's where crap, I didn't say they are worthless, I said they are just pieces of paper.. Quite importaint to the right employer, but here and now just more junk that does nothing to help your argument..

I make a habbit of telling people when they are acting in such a way that would have me try and tear them limb from limb if they where saying such to my face, though I might settle for verbaly shredding them, maybe just on how they are dressed or how their shoe laces are tied funny..

Why do I do this?

Because I don't like people thinking they are better than they are, you are a Nothing to me here, maybe less than nothing untill you earn my respect, so acting like he who is called I am will just get my angry.. Maybe enough to post a reply like this..

In short

Have your views, but don't try to back them up with your qualifications.

//Edit; You do realise that waving bit's of paper around is my pet hate, trying to justify them comes a close second.

[ 12-18-2004, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Q'alooaith ]
Old 12-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #37
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Vaskez, I was simply pointing out that a peice of paper does not make you any smarter.

It also does not make you smarter than the national average, it just means you got more bit's of paper than them.

Hell look at the IT GCSE, it's been a fools subject for years, basic computing skills and not much more.

I didn't say everyone getting degree's where crap, I didn't say they are worthless, I said they are just pieces of paper.. Quite importaint to the right employer, but here and now just more junk that does nothing to help your argument..

I make a habbit of telling people when they are acting in such a way that would have me try and tear them limb from limb if they where saying such to my face, though I might settle for verbaly shredding them, maybe just on how they are dressed or how their shoe laces are tied funny..

Why do I do this?

Because I don't like people thinking they are better than they are, you are a Nothing to me here, maybe less than nothing untill you earn my respect, so acting like he who is called I am will just get my angry.. Maybe enough to post a reply like this..

In short

//Edit; You do realise that waving bit's of paper around is my pet hate, trying to justify them comes a close second.
I really think you need to chill a bit, those of us who know Vaskez know he is a smarta$$ and know also that he is a joker, he very seldom says anyting that is serious. as Vaskez said, who are you? you have been here for a year, but know one knows who you are. it is safe to say you do not know us either. I think you are being a bit rude, and really need to back off before you get others upset say the higher ups?

(Vaskez savor it while you can, it is not often I will come to your defense [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

[ 12-18-2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 12-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #38
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:

[img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

You're a cheerful fellow aren't you?

Now, since what Vaskez has specialized in just happens to be something I'll be taking up for a career, I think I will state my piece in this.

Now, you say that a 'piece of paper' as horribly as that is a way to describe a degree, may not make you more intelligent than the national average, but busting your arse for years to obtain a degree makes you smarter in the field of computers or whatever you're studying for it than most people, because you took the time, the exams, the tests, everything to obtain it.

Quote:
Well, allow me to say you've done a bang up job to leave an impression on people for them to try and get your respect. Well done.

P.s.- Sorry for the thread derailing as it is johnny.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:01 PM   #39
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:

Why do I do this?

In short

1) Learn the culture before you criticise it.
2) Learn where to use apostrophies and where not to.

[ 12-18-2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 12-19-2004, 12:12 PM   #40
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Hehe Q'alooaith...I would like to see you try and tear me limb from limb (if ya think you're 'ard enough ) [img]tongue.gif[/img] or better yet, cuss me down based on what I'm wearing, sounds like something people tried to do at school at age 14.

And yes, GCSE IT is a joke subject, learning how to use MS Word etc. I don't know about computer engineering where you come from, but where I did it, it involved such courses as java and C++ programming, IP networking, wireless networking (GSM, GPRS, 802.11, Bluetooth etc.), signal processing (finite, infinite impulse response filters etc.) digital cicuit design (in VHDL), circuit testing and analysis, computer processor architecture design, computer graphics (OpenGL programming with C), image processing, design automation (how circuit design software works), digital transmission theory, modulation, source and channel coding techniques, error detection/correction, discrete maths, engineering maths...just to name some. These are all courses you have to take and get a good average grade in, so I still don't understand how it's just a piece of paper, but never mind. Just thought I'd let you know what the degree involves.

So a degree is not a piece of paper: a degree is years of learning: the piece of paper just proves you've done it. It doesn't just mean having been exposed to the material, it means you've shown the ability to understand it, even if you don't remember everything, and you've shown you can study and self-motivate. If you fail to see this, then you either do not have an adequate grasp of the english language, or you are yet too young to understand. Although, you may be talking about degree certificates purchased over the web: yep, those are useless and don't make you smarter, hey we found an instance in which you're right! But of course, we should only talk about legitimately-earned pieces of paper, earned at an accredited organisation.

I don't mean this to sound like I'm buffing myself up, this goes for degrees in general.

If you can't back views up by qualifications then there's no point having qualifications. How can anyone give credit to your opinion in say, a technical area, if you've never studied it? When developing a new technology, they don't go and ask a random person on the street to consult on the project, they ask an expert who is qualified in the area. This is so bleeding obvious, I don't even know why I'm bothering to type it.

And finally, I don't care if I get you angry, and I don't care if you think I'm nothing. Your opinion in this matter is worthless to me.

Just for the record: I respect anyone who does a hard-day's work, whatever it is; the respect doesn't depend on their qualifications. A hard-working manual labourer deserves a lot more respect than a lazy-assed top technical director (although it'd be hard to get into that position being lazy-assed )
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray