Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-21-2001, 10:45 AM   #11
Flamer
Dungeon Master

Well...12 magic missiles, 2potions of fire giant strength, minsc berserking, 2 holy smites, 6 flamestrikes, 2 fireballs, 8 flasher basher cruiser mates, 8 dire wolves summoned, 4 acid arrows, 2 fire arrows and 2 holy smites later, The shadow dragon was at near death and slaughtering my poor spell-less party. What did I do wrong?
Old 07-21-2001, 12:47 PM   #12
Flamer
Dungeon Master

Please help me, I just can't beat him. My summoned creatures are killed immediatly by his death spell then he goes and kills Yoshimo and Minsc I use all my spells and I still can't beat him. He absorbs everything I throw at him. I can get him to near death but thats it.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:47 PM   #13
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

What level is your party?
Old 07-21-2001, 02:14 PM   #14
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Okey-dokey,

I should really make a webpage for this, Dragon-slaying tips seem to be quite in demand.

Here's my take on Dragon fighting.

If I recall correctly, Dragons are immuned to Fire and Acid, so Fireballs, Flameshield, Melf's Acid Arrow do crap against it, and Flame Arrows only deal the physical damage to it. This is why Magic Missile is so loved in Dragon fights because, Magic Missiles deal Physical damage.

Another thing, Dragons have high magic resistances, so Lower Resist and Pierce Shield are useful on Dragons, they enable you to have a much better chance of getting a spell to hit it.

With all that trivia out of the way, let's go to tactics proper. Note though, the following is a generic tactic, there are various tactics, but any party can use this tactic. Also note, I always assume, your party is in a worse case scenerio, with no uber items and limited spells.

First off, before you go engage the Dragon proper, cast long term spells on your party, Stoneskin for Mages, Melf's Minute Meteors, Haste, etc... ...

When you are in the same room as the Dragon, summon as many summons as you can, do not summon all your best summons though, summon 3 weak ones and 2 good ones.

Once ready, quickly flank the Dragon with your summons and Melee Fighters(MF). Mages and Ranged Units(RU) should stay as far as possible.

If you have Lower Resist and/or Pierce Shield, cast this the moment you can see the Dragon.

Important! Summons should go in front and at the sides of the Dragon, while your MFs should park at the Dragon's back. This is to avoid Wing Buffet and Dragon's Breath.

Whenever the Dragon casts Stoneskin, use Breach or Dispel Magic to get rid of it.

As summons die summon more, remember, each time the Dragon wastes a round to kill your summon, you gain a round to whack it more for free.

Sometimes the Dragon casts Protection from Magical Weapons, switch to normal weaponary if you have them, or cast a spell to remove the protection.

If you run out of summons, make one of your MFs the bait and let the Dragon chase after him/her. While your Mages and RUs pelt it.

Also, make your RUs use the best ammunition they have, you are after all, fighting a Dragon.

Whenever any of your party members hit 50% or below, drink a health potion, do not be stingy! Dragons can deal a lot of damage.

Hope this helps.

Other notable tactics

Cast Lower Resist, Greater Malison and Polymorph in that order.

"Look! It's a cute fuzzy-wuzzy bunny! KILL IT!!!!"

Lay an obscene amount of traps around the Shadow Dragon, get a RU to poke it and watch a Dragon die within a blink of an eye.

Cast multiple CloudKills out of the Dragon's visual range, it will not attack you and will eventually choke to death.

If you don't mind losing equipment, Disintergrate and Flesh to Stone can be used.

If you are high-level enough, Greater Malison followed by Finger of Death.

On the same level, if you have a Mage higher than or equal to Lvl 12, Greater Malison followed by Chromatic Orb.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-21-2001, 05:24 PM   #15
Desuma_Malevois

If you have a cleric who can cast 6th level spells and you've lowered the dragon's magic resistance, a Harm spell will reduce it to one hit point. Then it's just a matter of delivering the coup de grace before it heals itself. I just took out the Shadow dragon today this way (no reloads either ).

Old 07-21-2001, 09:26 PM   #16
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

Actually, I just asked everyone to please wait by the door, drank down a Fire Giant strength potion and an oil o'speed, and then went down all stealthy like, and then backstabbed/chopped his scaly tail to hell.

(Only 13 reloads. But eventually, I got a Crit hit! Oho, and I had the cleric Chant, Prot from Evil, and Prot from Fire me.)

Yours in blood,
Robin the Dragonslaying Thief.

PS-
I had laid a few traps before. Only 4. That's ok, isn't it? Still a Solo kill?

[This message has been edited by Robin, Thief of Hearts (edited 07-21-2001).]
Old 07-22-2001, 04:26 AM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, personally I think one round of traps is fine.

It's when you start resting and blatantly mine the entire floor with them that it starts to get cheeeessssyyyy.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer, then a Paladin.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:06 PM   #18
Flamer
Dungeon Master

Best spell vs. dragons...CLOUDKILL! Seriously, get a cloudkill wand from the lich in the tavernin the city gates and use it vs. dragons. Just stay out of the dragons sight and cast cloudkill. Nine simultanious cloudkills took Firkraag down.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:19 PM   #19
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

You cant go wrong with lots and lots of Summoned creatures

------------------
Old 07-22-2001, 12:29 PM   #20
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Is lower resist the proper name 4 the spell?
First time round i took out the dragons later in the game, pelt them with every sort of death spell, it works!