Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #31
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Default Re: Bioware: It's over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sever View Post
Frankly, the fact that a games developer alone is mentioned in the top 35 is amazing. Not a lot else goes on in Alberta?..
A lot goes on in Alberta. Bioware is simply an outstanding company. Some things they do for their staff that was listed included having a full kitchen stocked with food, 3 weeks vacation each year (most companies only offer 2 up here), extended Christmas vacations, extra week off after release of a new game, onsite theater for the staff to enjoy.. When I visited BioWare, I remember thinking how laid back everything was, at least from my impression of a game company. They had arcade machines for staff to play on, fooseball tables and air hockey tables. All of which they were free to use if they got too frustrated or stressed with their work. I have to wonder how much of that will change when EA takes over.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #32
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Bioware: It's over?

Quote:
Surely if there's a single games producer on the planet with the means to resist the lecherous advances of the sleazy pimp, it'd be blizzard, yes?
That's a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goulum View Post
A lot goes on in Alberta. Bioware is simply an outstanding company. Some things they do for their staff that was listed included having a full kitchen stocked with food, 3 weeks vacation each year (most companies only offer 2 up here), extended Christmas vacations, extra week off after release of a new game, onsite theater for the staff to enjoy.. When I visited BioWare, I remember thinking how laid back everything was, at least from my impression of a game company. They had arcade machines for staff to play on, fooseball tables and air hockey tables. All of which they were free to use if they got too frustrated or stressed with their work. I have to wonder how much of that will change when EA takes over.
You can bet all that will go out the window when the EA guy come around to "review" things and make "improvements".

Oh well... there's still Ubisoft in Montreal, that has been responsible for Prince of Persia and a bunch of other nice games. And last time someone tried to buy Ubisoft the French Government shot it down.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #33
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Surely if there's a single games producer on the planet with the means to resist the lecherous advances of the sleazy pimp, it'd be blizzard, yes?
According to wiki, Blizzard has changed hand several times.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #34
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I think Blizz realize by now that they can make alot more cash solo. When did anyone ever hear of EAcon lol?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #35
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goulum View Post
Heh. Bioware was today named in my paper, the Edmonton Journal, to be one of the top 35 employers in Alberta. Wonder if it'll reach that again under EA.
Usually makes the Top 100 in Canada every year as well.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #36
WSBoaBoa
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Maybe many of you where not around when EA bought out Origin long ago and what they did to a huge RPG market, basicly sunk the Ultima line down the crapper along with Wing Commander. Two huge cash cows they turned them to gooey piles. Everything they touch RPG wise goes brown and rots.

I don't think Bioware will be the same given a year + expect the RPG line to go more console orianted and all the new titles to have extreamly short play times with lack of depth. I guess if you have ADD its a good thing, pesonaly I am not amused...
WSBoaBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #37
Elif Godson
Dracolich

so far they have done alright with Mythic, but the venture is still young but I am hopeful. If it flops, Madden did it