Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 11:15 PM   #11
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You miss the point. It is tragic that most Mods only cater to the minority. The average gamer would be simply overwhelmed by most Mods due to the sheer insanity of the difficulty/cheating/illogicalness.

Yes. It can be done.

Yes. It is not impossible.

Cold comfort to the average gamer though, who just want to have some fun with his/her game, not an exercise in futility. Which is why until now... I can only wholeheartedly recommend the Kelsey Mod to people without fear of them suffering from premature baldness.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:18 AM   #12
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
You miss the point. It is tragic that most Mods only cater to the minority. The average gamer would be simply overwhelmed by most Mods due to the sheer insanity of the difficulty/cheating/illogicalness.

Yes. It can be done.

Yes. It is not impossible.

Cold comfort to the average gamer though, who just want to have some fun with his/her game, not an exercise in futility. Which is why until now... I can only wholeheartedly recommend the Kelsey Mod to people without fear of them suffering from premature baldness.
actually you are right...most people would tear their hair out in frustration at trying to analyze "what the frick did that dragon hit me with???"

how would you design a tactics mod??? I would be interested in a technique to make the encounters harder without using any cheese, and still be solvable by most players...
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:33 AM   #13
Whailor

Yes, I installed the Tactics mod too, but just because this adds more XP to the game. I don't find it very tactical as such tho and it's loaded with cheese, up to plain cheating/illegal stuff. But, I battle the cheese with cheese, if they can do it, then I can do it, so all is well I suppose [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2003, 10:30 AM   #14
Fs.SaCuL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

God dammit!

Purple Dragon? What mod is that?

I only found a couple of ankneghs and werewolves in small teeth pass
Old 11-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #15
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

It's part of the Tactics Mod and it's a component called...

Improved Small Tooth Pass.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:36 PM   #16
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Userunfriendly:
quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Normal Small Teeth Pass: 2-3 Ankhegs, and some random Orcs and/or Wolfweres. Big whoop. My BG1 party could take them down.

"Improved" Small Teeth Pass: Purple Dragon (based on Tamah), Brown Dragon (based on Draconis), Red Dragon (based on Firkraag).

The Cheese:
Purple Dragon--
Is right next to you the instant you appear in the area (apparently, Dragons can go Stealth, or perhaps you just didn't notice it was there until you bumped into it), and according to Leslie, can cast Imprisonment. Likes to Weimer Wing Buffet(TM).
Brown Dragon-- Not really cheesy, but uses a load of (Improved Invisibility) spells and Spell Immunity: Divination to make all of your targeted spells (such as Lower Magic Resistance) absolutely useless. Also summons Invisible Stalkers.
Red Dragon-- Can see you, and breathe his 10D10 (or is it 20D10?) Fireball at you, from anywhere on the map. Is very fond of Weimer Wing Buffet(TM).

[soapbox] It is unethical to force people to powergame. Players should not have to carry Potions of Fire Resistance in their Quickslots every time they travel outside Athkatla, just on the off chance that they'll get the Red Dragon (courtesy of the Improved Wilderness Encounters MOD). By the same token, players should not feel obliged to deck their PC out in all their best Fire Resistance gear, or hand out a ream of Protection from Electricity scrolls, before heading to the Small Teeth Pass. [/soapbox]
fight cheese with uber cheese...

hhehehehheheh!!!!

all mages prepare spell triggers with triple sunfire before heading out...using a combination of rings of fire resistance, and magic armor, make sure all warriors are near 100% fire resistance...

use sequential sunfires of doom (trademarked by userunfriendly) pause the game, remove any items that decrease spell casting time, and each mage triggers spell trigger on self at the same paused moment...since sunfires makes you invulnerable to fire for about 3 seconds, if timed right, each sunfiring mage is invulnerable to neighbor's sunfires...overlapping sunfire fields should fry purple...

exploit wish spell via project image or simmy...try for magic resistance, and breach everyone in map...magic resistance will set magic resistance for everyone on the same map 40%, and breaching everyone on the map will go right thru spell immunity and improved invisibility...

now buff your warriors, and attack...if necessary use chain contingency ruby ray triple on brown...a chain contingency will target improved invisible creatures...this will dump the spell immunity, allowing truesight to work...

heck, if you get really annoyed, use the smuggled rift device out of the unseeing eye on the brown or red, using a simmy or image to retain device...the ranged harm spell it shoots out will bypass magic resistance, and will target improved invisible creatures, like all devices...

abuse project image to summon 5 planetars, send them on the way...

use an archer with called shot and improved haste to drain strength for attribute drain kill...

lots of cheese you can use...
[/QUOTE]You also missed another point: There isn't enough time to do any of this. I may be able to let off a spell trigger, or do my improved Alacrity + timestop method that I tried before to get off more spells, but this proved useless everytime since the dragon breath would take out my sorceror (PC) and Aerie. To beat it (yes, I did manage to beat it [img]smile.gif[/img] ):

I already had Keldorn at 125% fire resistance, no need to deal with him. Minsc had 25%, which wasn't enough. Valygar only had about 25% too I think. So, I went back to my autosave, and since I didn't pay the cowled wizards to let me use spells, I went to my planar sphere and loaded up Aerie's spell trigger with resist fire and resist fire/cold. Then I set up her contingency to cast resist fire/cold and stoneskin on herself when an enemy is sighted. So I went back to the forest, used the trigger first thing on Minsc (I believe he had 115% fire resistance now), and now Aerie had 50% fire resistance. So I sent in Valygar, Keldorn, and Minsc to finish off the dragon as quickly as possible. My sorceror used a time stop in which I used lower magic resistance 4 times. I continued having Aerie and my Sorceror cast spells on the purple, although most of them didn't affect him. He went down, and Aerie had just ~3 HP left, and my PC well healed after using potions quickly. The brown dragon came next. I hid Valy and Salo in the shadows (doesn't make a difference to the dragon since they can see invisible, but it would allow me to backstab the summons). Salo backstabbed the fire summon he could while Keldorn, Valy, and Minsc took out the brown dragon with no problem at all. I kept Aerie and my PC at the point where I started, and now I sent in just Keldorn and Minsc to take on the red dragon. He went down with a bit of difficulty since I had to have Minsc concentrate on the dragon while Keldorn attacked the undead. He went down nicely, I got myself another pair of red dragon scales, some nice XP, and every one was happy [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #17
TordenkalveN
Dungeon Master

Actually a great start to this battle is to simply take a little walk to the underdark exit area. from there go to the small teeth pass. You will now be entering from the other side of the map where there are no dragons. Then drink one potion of icedust which will protect your entire party from the red dragon's breath that always occours as soon as you enter. Then you will have all the time you need to buff all you want. Shouldn't really be any problems after that...
TordenkalveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:36 PM   #18
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by TordenkalveN:
Actually a great start to this battle is to simply take a little walk to the underdark exit area. from there go to the small teeth pass. You will now be entering from the other side of the map where there are no dragons. Then drink one potion of icedust which will protect your entire party from the red dragon's breath that always occours as soon as you enter. Then you will have all the time you need to buff all you want. Shouldn't really be any problems after that...
[img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img] I comepletely forgot about those potions of icedust that I had on me!
But you still wouldn't get all the time you want since the red dragon's goons would after you (the undead)

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote