Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 06:57 PM   #1
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I've pondered starting this thread for months for I know there will be arguments. But here is what I want to say-

Its election time for a large number of politicians here in the US. Many of the "attack" ads for both the democrats and repbulicans target the opposite candidate for NAFTA and losing US jobs in many fields to other countries with reduced tarrifs. NONE (at least here in NC) have mentioned the veritable horde of legal and illegal immigrants coming mainly from Mexico and Central America. I assume large doantions are being made from large Contractors/Builders

For those who dont know I work in construction. I am a framing contractor. That means I build houses. Over the last 6 years the "Mexicans" have virtually taken over every phase of residential construction. (When I say "Mexicans" I generalise. Most people around here dont know the difference between a Guatamalan and a Mexican hence the categorising) While the US economy may not be in the best of shape the housing industry has been running strong. Houses are not getting any cheaper. Yet the price of framing a house has gone down significantly. Over $1/per square foot. That is a lot of money. Why? Because we are being undercut/underpriced by Mexicans. It is hard to compete with a group of people who live at least 4 to a household (VERY often 10+ in defiance of state law). They have little in the way of expenses that way. For those who think they are contributing a large amount to to the local economy they are partially correct. They do buy food/cloths/videos here. But most money is sent back to Mexico. They are "construction mercenaries". The Hispanic population in Charlotte North Carolina alone went from 8000 to 80,000 from 1990-2000 alone. You can add at least another 40,000 now.

I am rambling, perhaps its the beer. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have been told by more than a couple young people that they would not want to go into construction because they dont feel there is an opportunity for them anymore. I have people coming onto my job who I would be more than happy to hire but cannot because I dont get paid enough to be able to add another person. When you are being undercut with pricing so much that you cannot hire people to get the job done faster something is wrong. The guys who work for me deserve more money.

So why are the politicians ignoring this? Because they are scumbags. Each and every one of them as far as I'm concerned. There are days when I could almost advocate anarchy. I get over that but the bitterness stays.

For those of you who think I hate or am bigoted towards Meixicans/Central Americans/Hispnaics you are wrong. I have worked with them and have a couples friends among them. They are hard working and most friendly if you are friendlt to them. And I am friendly to them. I just think something has to be done before a US citizen is unable to find a job in the construction trade. I have met more than a few young people who said they would not want to go into construction because they think there is no longer any future in it. So instead they get jobs at Blockbuster video for $6/hour. Those who do not want to got to college see no hope. There WAS good money being a craftsman and still is. Sometimes I get a good week. But it should be better, for both myself, my employees,the people I cant hire, and the people I would hope to hire someday.

Sorry for rambling. I probably missed half of what I wanted to say. I'm sure it will be pointed out. I will answer then .
Old 10-31-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

It is the same in the resaurant industry, LOA. In the place I work we have 15 cooks in the kitchen. Only 5 of us are from the U.S., the other 10 are from Argentinia,Mexico,Guatamala and we have 1 guy from Panama.I agree with you that they have less expenses and try to send a lot of the money they make home to their families.I disagree with you that they get work simply because they will work cheaper. They get more jobs in my industry because they work harder and better than most. Being a chef isnt easy,50 to 80 hour weeks are the norm. We get American kids in there who think its easy work and all they do is bitch and whine about how long the hours are or how busy it is. The Spanish kids get in there and just do it, they dont complain,they dont cut corners, and they are always happy to cover for each other.If American workers worked like the Spanish workers , well we would have all American workers. I dont think the problem is immigration, I think it is that they younger generation doesnt have very much of a work ethic.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:10 PM   #3
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

I know what you mean. The pliticians tolerate them fpr different reasons. The dems like them for illegal votes, and the gop for cheap labor.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:16 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
It is the same in the resaurant industry, LOA. In the place I work we have 15 cooks in the kitchen. Only 5 of us are from the U.S., the other 10 are from Argentinia,Mexico,Guatamala and we have 1 guy from Panama.I agree with you that they have less expenses and try to send a lot of the money they make home to their families.I disagree with you that they get work simply because they will work cheaper. They get more jobs in my industry because they work harder and better than most. Being a chef isnt easy,50 to 80 hour weeks are the norm. We get American kids in there who think its easy work and all they do is bitch and whine about how long the hours are or how busy it is. The Spanish kids get in there and just do it, they dont complain,they dont cut corners, and they are always happy to cover for each other.If American workers worked like the Spanish workers , well we would have all American workers. I dont think the problem is immigration, I think it is that they younger generation doesnt have very much of a work ethic.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:24 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
I can agree that a lot of American kids are spoiled. But I know that more than a few who quit or get fired eventually understand what it takes to hold a job. I know a few who have "grown up". Yet now its to the point of over-saturation of the available jobs.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 PM   #6
Dodo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I can give you a few reasons why you can expect to see more of our friendly faces in the near future. Don't you feel special?

The whole region's falling apart. The only country with a firm foothold is Chile, as far as I know (but hey, I'm Chilean!). Venezuela is ruled by a would-be Dictator, who's successfully crashed the economy by letting the bolivar float. He also changed the name of the country, which means his speeches are a couple hours longer to account for the "Republica Bolivariana de" before Venezuela. (I'm being slightly sarcastic, it's quite a bit worse.) In fact, he's killing people, stalking people, beating people up, threatening people, arresting people and generally leaving them no choice but to flee - fast. I should know, I had 17 reporters at my house to escape. Da-da-da (Mission Impossible).

Brazil just elected one of Chavez's (the would-be dictator, good friend of Fidel) close friends into a high position. Colombia's overrun by guerillas and incredibly reckless drivers. And I would go on, but my cat just crapped on the floor, you'd think kitty litter knowledge would stick after eight years. Come here, dummy dumb. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 07:50 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

So everyone should feel free to come here? Why should the US be the safety blanket for Mexico, Central America, and South America? The US should not become the "Job Fair" of the western hemisphere. We have our own problems
Old 10-31-2002, 08:10 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
So everyone should feel free to come here? Why should the US be the safety blanket for Mexico, Central America, and South America? The US should not become the "Job Fair" of the western hemisphere. We have our own problems
I agree with your statements but I do still have a question to ask, let us say there is a crackdown and 80% actually become american citizens, would you still feel the same way about the situation or would that change things?

American has been flooded with immigrants for years, and we are having a tough time turing people away. maybe it is because we are a country founded mainly by immigrants so we are loathe to turn them away. maybe our politicians havent taken this matter too seriously and just sort of swpt it under the rug among our multitude of other problems. It may sounds cheesy as hell, but the best way to get something done is to talk/write to a congressman. make this issue know in your community. If you rally enough support you really can change things. Look at prohibition [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 08:11 PM   #9
Dodo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Have you ever thought that it's not a safety blanket, it's a transformation? When South/Central Americans get jobs in America, they're not doing it to hurt you, not bringing their own problems on you, they're working for the US, living by US rules and creating jobs. They're probably also trying to solve your problems too, because they become theirs. Should "pure" Americans be the only ones who can be respected enough to influence the people, bring about change, lead campaigns for the better good?

Why? There's no reason. It's called goodwill. You probably haven't been beaten up in the streets for trying to improve your country.

(a bit of a meaningless rant) What I don't understand is the whole country thing. How the hell did this come about? It serves no point, money is meaningless, numbers are meaningless, all they mean are crowded streets and smoke because of borders and visas and rules. If we knew better we'd be working to help other folks get back on their feet and work together.
Old 10-31-2002, 08:24 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Dodo:
Have you ever thought that it's not a safety blanket, it's a transformation? When South/Central Americans get jobs in America, they're not doing it to hurt you, not bringing their own problems on you, they're working for the US, living by US rules and creating jobs. They're probably also trying to solve your problems too, because they become theirs. Should "pure" Americans be the only ones who can be respected enough to influence the people, bring about change, lead campaigns for the better good?

Why? There's no reason. It's called goodwill. You probably haven't been beaten up in the streets for trying to improve your country.

(a bit of a meaningless rant) What I don't understand is the whole country thing. How the hell did this come about? It serves no point, money is meaningless, numbers are meaningless, all they mean are crowded streets and smoke because of borders and visas and rules. If we knew better we'd be working to help other folks get back on their feet and work together.
This is going to sound callous. I DO have a heart but its become too much. These countries (including your own) should figure out their own problems. Coming up here for jobs is not the answer. There are not enough resources to handle an additional 1 billion potential immigrants