Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-26-2002, 01:37 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Ok so i'm finally getting NWN's. I have some newbie questions before I do if anyone could help:

1) I'm on a 433mhz computer, will it run properly or should I even bother?

2) Using a Voodoo Banshee 3dfx v.3 video card, is it compatible?

3)I doubt I can play online as much as i'd like to with my minimum requirement pc and my slow connection, all the mods that i've seen around... can they be played single player and offline? Or are they all designed for Mpers?

4) Mods are like the mods in BG2, you download them and your done right?

5) Anything else I should know?

[ 11-26-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 11-26-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

OK I am not going to help that much. Sorry.

1) It recommeds a 450 MHz. It should work you just will not be able to max the res and add in all of the cool extra features. If you know how you could upgrade your processor.

2) you need to get another video card. Not sure if there is a hack out there yet for the Vodoo's but from when it first released everyone that had one could not get it to work. I have heard good things about NWN and Geforce MX 2 cards. Check www.pricewatch.com you can get a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 True 64MB for $35.00 not to bad.

3)I do not do this but from what I understand alot of them can be ran just on your computer.

4)Yes.

5)The collectors edition releases 11-28-2002 Yes Thanksgiving day. You might want to check out Bioware's site and see if you want to bother with that version or not. Also you might want to upgrade you RAM. It requires 96 meg but more is always better.

Any chance you might be getting a new PC for X-mas? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here is another link on this site about the specs needed.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=7;t=000185

[ 11-26-2002, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:49 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thank you for the advice. Yes i'm getting a RAM upgrade and a Geforce 2 soon if that would help....although I don't know exactly what cool features i'd miss out on
You say the Voodoo cards don't work with NWN's but the requirements say an 'Open Gl compliant' video card - which the voodoo banshee actually is. Oh well i'm getting a new one in about 2 weeks anyways and yes a new pc is a nice thought especially when computers are at an all-time low right now.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
Heartless Butterscotch
The Magister

If I could add a little to what Granamere said, the characters, terrain and spell effects are beautiful even without the environmental mapping and dynamic lighting.

Also, every mod that I've downloaded is compatible with just one player. They usually recommend 1-4 players, but henchman and familiars can easily fill those roles if necessary (Henchman can be hired in-game and act autonomously.).

The mods are usually zipped and can be extracted to the "modules" folder. Most of the mods I've seen are between 300k and one meg.

Hope you enjoy the game. :thumbs up:

[ 11-26-2002, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Heartless Butterscotch ]
Heartless Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:27 PM   #5
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
1) I'm on a 433mhz computer, will it run properly or should I even bother?
I'm kind of skeptical that it'll run on a 433mhz. I got this game last year for Christmas, and was unable to play it on my 550mhz computer. I was able to install it, but when it came to putting a character together, it took my cursor about five minutes to move across the screen. I've gotten a new computer since then, with 2.2 gigabytes, and when I installed it this time around, I still got a message that my computer was too slow and I'd have some problems. The only real problem I've had is that the cursor blinks now and then, and sometimes the dialog box turns blue or flashes. I'm not running it on the highest resolution, either. I'm not sure why other people are able to run it with lower mhz, I'm just saying what happened to me.
Tiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 07:54 PM   #6
The X
Dungeon Master

I gotta agree with Tiela,

My previous PC was running on 550mhz while playing BG series on the Infinity Engine and it was crawling. That again it could be the graphic card....or even the ram.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:59 PM   #7
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

To Tiela when you say 2.2 gigabytes I am not sure if I am following you. Do you mean you have a new Pentium 4 that is a 2.2 Gigahertz? I am currently running it on a Pentium 3 Dual 1 Gigahertx computer with 512 Megs of ram and a Geforce 3 videoa card. I so far have not had anything that was sluggish or any problems other than a few random crashes. I normally run seti in the background so the crashes might be my fault.
I agree with "The X" the whole system does mean alot. A old crappy video card can take a new computer and kill a video game on it. Always keep receipts and if it does not work you can always return the stuff. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Granamere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
To Tiela when you say 2.2 gigabytes I am not sure if I am following you. Do you mean you have a new Pentium 4 that is a 2.2 Gigahertz?
Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clear.

When you buy a game, be sure to check the store's return policy. Game sellers in my area won't take back games like they used to. Too many abuses, I suppose.
Tiela is offline   Reply With Quote