Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #11
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderon:
Indeed a decoy is the only thing I have ever found a monk good for myself -
Well, a pure monk can be quite a terror as a mage-killer. I've also heard great things about the monk/paladin using longswords.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

okay, forget monk. what if i make a cleric M/C, what would be the best thing to multiclass him to? what race should he be? I would want him as a healer, and a tank. how does a half orc cleric (tempus) and barbarian 50/50 sound? maybe when the cleric levels are high enough, the char can just advance in Barbarian levels.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #13
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:
okay, forget monk. what if i make a cleric M/C, what would be the best thing to multiclass him to? what race should he be? I would want him as a healer, and a tank. how does a half orc cleric (tempus) and barbarian 50/50 sound? maybe when the cleric levels are high enough, the char can just advance in Barbarian levels.
I doubt that would work for a primary healer. If you get to maximum levels at the end of HoF mode, you will only have a level 15 cleric. At the end of normal mode, you will be lucky to have a level 9 cleric. Two simple multiclass options for a good cleric are fighter4/clericX and paladin2/clericX. A dwarf, human, aasimar, or female drow are ideal for these.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #14
Magness
Quintesson

Tim Trotter, if you're looking for the best possible cleric in a full powergaming sense, the best cleric is a pure cleric, at least until you have 20 cleric levels. Beyond that, you can take levels in another class without any real concern because after a cleric has 20 levels, he doesn't gain many more spells or any major benefits. But after 20 levels of cleric, you might get more benefit from taking levels in another class.

If your cleric is a front line warrior, fighter levels might work out best. If you're a LG Painbearer of Ilmater, maybe Pally levels might be a better choice. OTOH, if you are a bit of a back line spellcasting cleric, perhaps (if your alignment permits) druid levels would be a nice option to take advantage of your already high WIS.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #15
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

A backline spellcasting cleric can also be either Lathander or Talos, as both get some nice AoE destruction spells.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:32 AM   #16
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

how would a lvl human 4 fighter/x cleric, be? would a human be the best choice as he can have any class as his favoured class?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #17
wanderon
Dungeon Master

Once again you will take a big hit on your cleric spells for the dubious advantages brought by taking 4 fighter levels.

In the normal game that means a cleric 13/f4 rather than cleric 17

thats no level 8 or 9 spells or specifically

5/5/4/4/3/2/1 vs 5/5/5/5/4/4/3/2/1 (without bonus spells)

Thats 10 spells per day including 5 more spells of level 7 or higher.

But if thats what you wish to do then perhaps human is your best choice -

female drow has cleric as favored class but will lose an additional 2 levels for ECL which would nerf the cleric levels even further.

You could look at dwarf too as they have fighter for favored class.

I would pass on the half-elf as other than for roleplay reasons a human is almost always a better choice if you want the "any class" for favored option.

If you have not played a cleric in this game and are comparing this to BG1 clerics I suggest you try a purte cleric here- they are much more effective than pure clerics in BG. They are in fact almost overpowered and as I mentioned earlier if its a melee cleric you want Tempus is an excellant choice. If its just different weapons you want you can always take a weapon proficiency in whatever weapon you wish - they are not restricted to "cleric only" weapons in this game.

Good luck and good hunting
Old 02-10-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
Magness
Quintesson

Tim Trotter, if you are looking to powergame a cleric in normal mode, stay pure class.

We cannot say it strongly enough. In normal mode, Pure class clerics far, far, far outstrip multiclassed clerics, since every level of some other class is a higher level of cleric that you lose and the associated high level spells that go with those high levels. About the only reason to take 4 levels of fighter is because you intend on gaining weapon specialization in a weapon or 2. While this is nice in HOF mode, in normal mode weapon specialization in no way balances the loss of high level cleric spells.

Frankly, the only reason to play a multiclassed cleric in normal mode is for roleplaying reasons, not powergaming ones.

BTW, do not overlook Gold or Shield Dwarves, if you still want to play a Cleric X/Ftr 4. Dwarves won't get dinged with the XP penalty for this combo since they get fighter as their favored class.

Indeed, a dwarven battle cleric would be a very nice, tho' cliched, combo. Not as much raw power as a pure cleric, but a perfectly playable combo.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Magness
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderon:
I would pass on the half-elf as other than for roleplay reasons a human is almost always a better choice if you want the "any class" for favored option.
Actually, I've changed my opinion on half-elves somewhat. I think that they are a good choice when skills aren't important. The best thing about humans is their +1 SP/level and the bonus feat and extra SP at creation. However, skills aren't important to the character that you intend to build, then a half-elf's racial bonuses may be of more value.

It's certainly a situational decision.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #20
wanderon
Dungeon Master

Hmmm...I don't know Magness the only bonuses they get are:

+1 to search
+2 saves against enchantment magic
Immune to sleep

The search and sleep are almost useless I think (sleep doesnt effect you over level 5)

On the other hand I just checked the manual and it appears the hold spell series are enchantment magic as well as the "charm" series so that one may be a bit more useful than I thought since one of the most annoying (and deadly) spells an enemy is likely to cast on you is a hold spell.

Even so its tough to turn down an extra feat and extra skill points for. Even if you have a low skill person this would likely double his skill points perhaps making it possible to gain some useful cross class skill.

I do admit its perhaps worth a look at the half breed tho rather than dismissing it out of hand...