Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I read so much good stuff about a bard in this board. But mine does nothing much other than shoot arrows, identify stuff, and some mage spells. And he has not got elven chain yet. (just starting dragons eye in Insane). Ok... what have I done wrong?

When the bard has to sing in battle, he can't fight else that would cancel his song. Is there a way to select all characters except the bard?
Ultra Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Besides circling? I haven't tried this, but try SHIFT+CLICK the guys to form groups.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Do you have Heart of Winter?

If not, your bard's usefulness is effectively halved. In HoW, the extra songs make the bard an essential for any party. That's not to say that a bard isn't good in regular IWD - I always kept one around for Pick Pockets and identifying - but it won't be an excellent character.

Typically, a Heart of Winter bard should just sing. Even when you're not fighting, sing (War Chant of Sith works best - Regeneration means that you don't need those pesky healing spells in your cleric's precious spell slots.) As for a regular bard, my best advice is this. Keep her in the back lines with the best bow you can give her, and let her keep all the enchanted ammunition. Armors you should be looking into include the Mail of Life or Ogien's Scale. If you can get Elven Chainmail, all the better - you'll have a powerful ranged combatant that can do some serious area-effect damage.
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
Ultra Marine
The Magister

I have HoW. But I have not got warchant. Just started dragons eye. It just makes me think about the usefulneess of a bard.

Maybe a bard is suited to be added to a party at higher levels of the game where she can advance real fast. Now, she is just soaking up exp from the rest of the party members.

Well ... This is my first bard [img]smile.gif[/img] ...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

War Chant isn't necessary for a bard to have a significant effect. Sing the luck song (Tymora's Melody); it's a good offensive song (increases chance of critical hits) with great saving throw bonuses.

To select all characters except the bard, hit the all-characters button then Cntrl-click the bard.

Don't expect your bard to be a powerhouse character; its effects are more subtle. A bard is the quintessential support character, making all your other characters better and filling in gaps in your party (lore, pickpocket, mage spells).

Edit: oh yeah, and don't get stuck on WCotS when it comes to songs. The fear-immunity song can come in handy, and there's a couple of areas in the game where the song that blocks sound-based attacks saves you a lot of pain.

[ 01-12-2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 01-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I keep my bard in the back with either the Light Crossbow of Speed or a normal bow and either potions or spells of Haste. I use either that first song (I forget its name) or the War Chant to enhance combat, along with some buffing spells. The War Chant also means that my cleric don't really need healing spells, except in emergencies, freeing up all their spell slots for defensive/buffing spells. I really like the Siren's Call, too--keeps some of your enemies enthralled, so you focus your attacks on the ones who are still moving.

This, of course, brings me back to the topic often-discussed here: what new bard songs should be created? To have songs at only 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 11th level is pretty meager, especially since you can get much higher level in HoW. Of course, I'd have to figure out how to add song buttons, etc. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Ultra Marine
The Magister

Some song irritating enough to cause spellcaster to fail in their casting.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

A song that causes damage (magic-based?), a song (or songs) providing elemental resistance, a song that increases the average damage caused by spells cast by party members (e.g. a superior luck-type song), a song that causes enemies to go beserk.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
Ultra Marine
The Magister

A song to cause direct damage and one that charms people. Simply, making the bard an active player rather than a support.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

And lets not forget some of the useful instuments that you can find or buy in the game that can be used by a Bard. One horn on particular.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote