Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Default Help of new starter?!

Hey, just got this game started in Virtual PC, saw the Best Tips thread, but didn't help a lot as most don't say where in the adventure the things happen!

All I know is I have the game set on easy everything - seldom spawns and easy combat and my 6 member team get slaughtered by the first group of trolls (seemingly a dozen strong with melee and distant weapons!). This game does not set you up easy does it?!

I am exiting town on the left (where the snakeman is) and three times so far I am back in town with no party, slaughtered in the first fight!

Do I just make a party of Warrior elephants? Is that how you play this game? Or are there some tips in how to best use the paltry amount of gold you get to equip your team at the start? Maybe I go out the right gate and find a secret track?!

If I can get help here, it will save me going back to that first town another dozen times with six skulls staring at me in the Inn!!!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Default Re: Help of new starter?!

You are leaving the town through a "wrong" gate. The gate to the left leads to the Nymph Lake - with that cca 10 trolls near the town on your way. Well, the trolls aren't so bad comparing with spiders, for example
If you don't want to get those nice skulls so quickly, then:
- Use the "money generaing in the inn" trick to get some starting money.
- Equip your party with something usable.
- Leave the town through the right gate. The way there goes to the Crypt. Ignore the Crypt for now and get some XP first.
As to the trolls behind the left gate:
- Do not fight all of them at once. If you see one then wait until it goes to you and kill him. Then wait for another one.
- Note that you can always flee to the town. Once entering the town, all your spellcasters get their mana points restored. This allows you to cast far more spells you would expect
- If your have too many trolls too near to the town gate then enter the town and leave it using the right gate. Wait a short while and return to the town. The trolls will try to follow you to the right gate so that they leave their positions at the left gate. This way, you can surprise them at the left gate again.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It can be a challenge getting started, for sure! Distance combat is your best friend... offensive spells and bows will be very, very useful And as Radek pointed out, you can keep re-entering town to recharge your mana. Just be warned that the monsters heal up as well... be sure to kill at least one before going into Valeia.

You can also fight from the gates. Once battle has started, they *WILL* hunt you down. So you can battle from the right gate, enter town, and then exit via the left gate. WAIT.... the critters will be heading from the right gate to the left gate to battle you. So you can heal up, equip your armor and such (you *have* done that, right? Not that I've ever forgotten... ), and recharge your mana while they come back over.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Knew this site and the posters here wouldn't let me down! Thanks for the GREAT help! And thanks for supporting me and understanding this game has a hard start! On other sites I would have just had half a dozen posts telling me what a wuss I was!

Will follow your advice and try again - this time with more success, I am sure. Modern games don't have you 'running away' as an option nowadays - once in combat you tend to have to stay in combat until you have won - or alternatively you always win because modern games don't test you - that is maybe why games from this era surprise you - like it surprised me!

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by uk_john; 10-08-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 10-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the boards, uk_john!!!

It does take a bit of effort to get started but once you get your party going you have a lot of fun ahead of you!!

I generally start out a new game with a starter group - humans and play until I am comfortable with the game interface and know what to expect early in the game and then I start over with a party made of whatever creatures tickle my fancy.

Hope you will keep us updated on how your game is going!!!

Wyv
Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I should mention... feel free to read through some of the books in the Gael Serran Library. Stackman, Radek, and I have documented some of our adventures, and while they're hopefully entertaining, they do contain info about the game and things you can expect. Well, except for the second half (or thereabouts) of Missy's Solo Warrior adventures... that kind of came to life along the way, so some things didn't actually happen

'Course, if you don't want to be spoiled, you'll want to read them *after* you've been through once.

Have fun, and keep us informed! We love having fresh meat new players...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
uk_john
Dungeon Master

I will check that out Bungleau - thanks!