Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-20-2002, 08:56 AM   #51
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I hope everyone is only making one vote [img]smile.gif[/img]

There doesnt seem to be a facility for checking this (Im still learning about the poll thingie)
You cant vote more then once even if you delete the cookie from this site. I know...ive tried
Old 05-20-2002, 09:28 AM   #52
MagiK

COOL thanks for the info.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:36 AM   #53
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
ROFLMAO Donut!

Actually Epona this one isn't a lie. (Although I would understand why people would think so. It was during my long career as a betting shop manager. The first robbery occured in Essex Road. When the two twats were caught robbing another shop in Kentish Town it turned out that the shotgun was indeen two pieces of metal welded together. The second robbery happened at The Angel. He was alone and only got £18. The third robbery took place in Acton. The guy said please and thank you.[/QUOTE]My apologies oh mendacious one. Since learning of the discorporeal nature of your dogs I have been inclined to take anything you say with a pinch of salt so to speak I am aware that salt and Donuts combined do not make for a tasty snack.

I am still ROFLMAO at your first sentence though, very nicely put I thought

That must have been pretty scary, not a situation I would like to find myself in.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #54
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

i know that you (magik) originally wanted only votes, but i still feel the need to add my two bits.

first off, i want to share this little statistic or fact. there are more guns per capita within isreal than in the united states. YET, isreal's murder rate is almost non-existent. this goes to show that guns ALONE are not the problem.

if you think logically and leave out all the warm fuzzy emotions from it, disarming the law abiding citizens will do very very little to bring down crime. in fact (or so i have heard) the armed robberies within nations that have banned firearms has risen, especially for home burglaries/robberies. because if you think about it if you were a criminal looking to break into someone's house, where would you rather go, the household with the gun or the one without. duh! thats a no brainer! what i'm trying to get at is that a burglar within the united states would probably think long and hard before entering a stranger's home. on the other hand, that same burglar within the united kingdom or austrailia would already know that that household was unarmed. again a no brainer.

although i do not own a firearm i must say that i feel that the beauty of the united states is in the fact that we are armed to the teeth. the reason is IMHO that if china or another nation down the road, got into an all out war with the US and knocked out our navy, army, marines, airforce and tried to invade...their troops wouldn't make it past CALIFORNIA !!
Old 05-20-2002, 11:21 AM   #55
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV:
i know that you (magik) originally wanted only votes, but i still feel the need to add my two bits.

first off, i want to share this little statistic or fact. there are more guns per capita within isreal than in the united states. YET, isreal's murder rate is almost non-existent. this goes to show that guns ALONE are not the problem.

if you think logically and leave out all the warm fuzzy emotions from it, disarming the law abiding citizens will do very very little to bring down crime. in fact (or so i have heard) the armed robberies within nations that have banned firearms has risen, especially for home burglaries/robberies. because if you think about it if you were a criminal looking to break into someone's house, where would you rather go, the household with the gun or the one without. duh! thats a no brainer! what i'm trying to get at is that a burglar within the united states would probably think long and hard before entering a stranger's home. on the other hand, that same burglar within the united kingdom or austrailia would already know that that household was unarmed. again a no brainer.

although i do not own a firearm i must say that i feel that the beauty of the united states is in the fact that we are armed to the teeth. the reason is IMHO that if china or another nation down the road, got into an all out war with the US and knocked out our navy, army, marines, airforce and tried to invade...their troops wouldn't make it past CALIFORNIA !!
I know I've asked this question before but I've never really got an answer. How do American burglars know which houses have guns. Is there a central register of non-gun owning houses? Or do people put a sign up saying 'guns here' or 'no guns here - please burgle'. Of course our burglars know there are no guns in the house so more often than not they don't take guns with them.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-20-2002, 12:06 PM   #56
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
originally posted by: donut I know I've asked this question before but I've never really got an answer. How do American burglars know which houses have guns. Is there a central register of non-gun owning houses? Or do people put a sign up saying 'guns here' or 'no guns here - please burgle'. Of course our burglars know there are no guns in the house so more often than not they don't take guns with them.
you're missing the point. you see in the US our citizens CAN arm themselves, therefore the burglar knows that there COULD be an armed person within the house. but the defenseless people of the UK and other european nations, don't have that deterient.
come on bud don't be silly.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:10 PM   #57
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
originally posted by: donut I know I've asked this question before but I've never really got an answer. How do American burglars know which houses have guns. Is there a central register of non-gun owning houses? Or do people put a sign up saying 'guns here' or 'no guns here - please burgle'. Of course our burglars know there are no guns in the house so more often than not they don't take guns with them.
you're missing the point. you see in the US our citizens CAN arm themselves, therefore the burglar knows that there COULD be an armed person within the house. but the defenseless people of the UK and other european nations, don't have that deterient.
come on bud don't be silly.
[/QUOTE]So there is no burglary in the US then - is that what you are saying?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-20-2002, 12:28 PM   #58
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted By: Donut
So there is no burglary in the US then - is that what you are saying?
that's exactly what i'm saying! there are no burglaries in the United States of America! NONE! never has been and never will be!

come on get real. burglaries happen LESS often per capita within the US than in countries that have self-defenseless citizens. guns are a deterient.

[ 05-20-2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV ]
Old 05-20-2002, 12:41 PM   #59
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
quote:
Posted By: Donut
So there is no burglary in the US then - is that what you are saying?
that's exactly what i'm saying! there are no burglaries in the United States of America! NONE! never has been and never will be!

come on get real. burglaries happen LESS often per capita within the US than in countries that have self-defenseless citizens. guns are a deterient.
[/QUOTE]The difference being that the US has more serious crimes, aka armed robberies, murders. etc. Why ? Because it's easier for untrained people to get a gun. Not just a gun, but one that packs power. Again why do you need an SMG when a pistol will suffice ?
Old 05-20-2002, 01:00 PM   #60
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Posted By: JR Jansen
The difference being that the US has more serious crimes, aka armed robberies, murders. etc. Why ? Because it's easier for untrained people to get a gun. Not just a gun, but one that packs power. Again why do you need an SMG when a pistol will suffice ?
who said anything about arming yourself with a sub-machine gun?

and it's not about untrained people getting a gun and maybe using it. it's about criminals HAVING a gun, and you don't. thats all i'm trying to say.