Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #1
Chewbacca
Zartan

I hate it!!!!

I hate being told after replying to it in a strong but straightforward fashion that I am "giving the impression that I can't take critism at all"! GRRR.

Just had to rant, people.

So how do you handle poor, overstated, and vauge critism of your work?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

I also hate it when people comlain about minor grammar/spelling mistakes like they are "hot pokers in the yes" WTF??? LOL!! Pluh-ease! Some people dont spek english as a first language, some people have dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I feel sorry for people who would rather smuggly throw a cheap shot at someone rather try gently explain the mistake.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #3
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

First off, remind yourself that if someone criticizes your work, that doesn't mean they're criticizing YOU -- try not to take it personally. If their complaint is too vague, ask them (politely!) for a specific example. If they're complaining about something that you think is fine the way it is, try asking someone you trust for a 2nd opinion.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 02-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

1. I also dislike (okay, I don't hate them) spell check guys, or gals for that matter. Although I don't see many of such posts lately.

2. I dislike participating in the Current News and Event forum, even sometimes I do wish to post something, I ended up aborting it half way through typing.

Lately, posts in that forum has nearly turned into one of those "I have a point to make and I am going to prove it". People are challenging other people's view and opinions. Almost every posts is about either "here is my prove to back up my opinion" or "prove something to back up your opinion".

What heppened to the old "let's sit down and have a nice discussion" spirit?

3. I hate... um... ~I hate myself for loving you..~ Oops. I got carried away. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

[ 02-17-2004, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #5
Chewbacca
Zartan

Yeah, I don't literally hate it but metaphorically.

The critism in question was post anonymously (concerning a gaming-related file of mine on the web) and I did kinda take it personally I suppose, not the critism itself, but how it was conveyed. Totally vauge and the choice of words made it sound like my work was illegible when it has over 6000 downloads in the last month with zero spelling complaints before today. Sigh...

Paladin2000- I hear yea... Your opinion counts in my opinion even if I have a differing opinion about your opinion....I dont know what happened to just having a discussion, or atleast just agreeing to disagree when the circumstances warrant such an agreement.

It seems the proverbial "either your with me or against me" vibe sometimes takes precedence... and if thats the case I can't blame you for not wanting to participate.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You may be surprised at how few people have learned how to give feedback in a way that it's appreciated. The first step is assuming they're right, and trying to figure out why it doesn't appear that way to you.

I'd probably ask them to respond back and clarify what they did and didn't like, and what they think would make it better. Then I'd consider their input to see if it had merit, and if it does, use it.

In one of my side activities, Toastmasters, we practice it regularly, and in addition to helping me give feedback more constructively, it helps me to receive it better as well.

I keep an evaluation from a presentation I gave about 18 months ago. Not because it's good, but because the person wrote on their feedback that I was arrogant. And you know, they're absolutely right. Not because I was or wasn't, but because that's what they heard and saw. I do wish I could find out what I did that made them think that way, but unfortunately, I can't (no name on it).

Just remember... they're only opinions. And everyone has one.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

*Clears throat*

*Starts wookee talk*

Chewbacca,

True. Some people just post something like "You are soooo wrong" and then just abruptly end the post. If you are going to criticize people in such a negative manner, at least give it to little courtesy of elaborating more in your post.

I certainly do not hate people who wants to uphold their views, but some posts are almost like "I am right, and you should see that too". Jeez, I may not agree with some people, but those are my views and my opinions. And we human are entitled to our own believes and opinions. If people start threads with such a close mind, then one should keep such thing to oneself. I know this may sound offending to certain people but I think the point of having a discussion board is to discuss. Does it matter so much that people are not seeing the way you see? If it does, why bring it up in a discussion board where some people might disagree with you?

This is not directly toward anybody particular.

[ 02-17-2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 02-18-2004, 05:36 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

This thread suck... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2004, 06:57 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I hate it!!!!

I hate being told after replying to it in a strong but straightforward fashion that I am "giving the impression that I can't take critism at all"! GRRR.

Just had to rant, people.

So how do you handle poor, overstated, and vauge critism of your work?
Please note the following spelling errors:

Vague
Criticism
GRRRR
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-18-2004, 07:01 AM   #10
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

lol donut, I was gonna pick him up but I feared his wrath [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]