Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain

Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
garrison
Manshoon

Default Killing two wyrmlings with one sling bullet...

Well, my Character Deletion idea has so far elicited no response from Ziroc, so I thought I'd deface the forums with some more semiunilateral ramblings.

EfU could benefit from indulgences.

Think about it: spend five minutes in Mordock's tower and you can go from pure good to pure evil. Monks can get booted from their order should they risk helping the Harper on level 12, or by attempting to infiltrate the Malars.

An easy solution for such alignment ailments is to allow the various temples of Undermountain to sell indulgences to those wishing to assure a place in the hereafter, or just to curry favor with a god or two. It's not much of a stretch to have preferred vendors sell indulgences on behalf of various local temples. Hell, even a gnomish indulge-o-matic contraption would do the trick (if you don't like the historical baggage associated with indulgences you can refer to it as alms, bhiksha, collection plate, eleos, khums, kuppah, poor box, takuhatsu, tithes, tzedakah, zakat or one of those Salvation Army Santas).

Not only would this help address Chaos/Law and Evil/Good alignment management (Bard/Palladin/Blackguard anyone?) but it also would help temper the severe inflation which has plagued the Sword Coast ever since profuse amounts of gold began pouring out of Undermountain.

As long as places like Mordock's tower are around, indulgences will prove a better way to relieve adventurers of all that unsightly wealth than some (perhaps) more controversial ideas, such as charging for the teleport system; although, I must confess that both seem perfectly logical to me.
garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Exclamation Re: Killing two wyrmlings with one sling bullet...

I think a concept was introduced like that previously, but without much avail. Now, ~charging~ for said ability to regain an old alignment (or buying the hearts of your favourite demons - figuratively or literally, your choice) does make a bit of sense. Safest way would be to do it in increments of 5% at 1Mil gold each. That makes it not TOO expensive but more than enough to alleviate some of those rather heavy coiffers that some characters have acculumated for themselves.

You can purchase weapons for around 13Mil to 20Mil gold at the moment, so a shift in alignment shouldn't be rendered too cheap. Then again if a shift of alignment from Lawful Good to Chaotic Evil would be around 40Mil gold, perhaps my initial amount was not high enough. Mayhaps at 5% at 5Mil gold each, so a complete polarity shift would then be 200Mil gold. If nothing else, it would inspire people to pick up after themselves more JUST to sell the items and purchase the indulgences. Implimentation would not be that difficult from what I understand. The only issue would be where to put them. My answer? Within Waterdeep. We already have one temple where good resides, so place one new NPC there whose sole purpose is to sell Lawful and/or Good indulgences. Just make another temple either within Waterdeep or BELOW Waterdeep (in the underworld close to Elaith's store might work) where you can buy and sell Evil-related items. And there you'd have your second NPC who would grant Chaotic and/or Evil indulgences... for a premium. (Hey, they ARE out to make a profit, right?)

For appropriateness, I would suggest a cleric of Tymora or Waukeen for the good indulgences, and a cleric of Cyric for the evil indulgences.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Killing two wyrmlings with one sling bullet...

For appropriateness you would just use the existing temple in Waterdeep and the Demon in the alternate Inn (level 12); after all, to get the kind of money you'd need for large shifts you'd have to have travelled that far through EFU anyway, so getting there should be easy enough.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

You know, I forgot completely about Mephistopheles. It was almost as if someone Erased His Name from my memory. Luckily, it was only a dream. However, I do have a completely outside question to ask of you: if someone did an "Erase Thine Name" spell on someone, but you were off-world at the time, would you still be affected by it? I had a character concept I wanted to use in EFU, but now thanks to the current novels, one small part would be altered. I was curious to see if it would be possible to be the only one to remember the existence of someone that had literally been deleted from the timeline.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I'll look into NWNX again, but I played with a very early version years ago and it was a big resource hog.. It just wasn't worth it--I was gonna use it for a persistent bank to store your money or items in a trunk... way too much trouble.

Will check into the new version and see if its any better now.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I like it alot!