Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-06-2002, 08:01 AM   #1
finkl_00
Welcomed New User

Hello, has anybody solo BG2 with a mage before??

If so then how'd you manage to put good use your spells in fighting of enemies?, What are your combos for deposing tough enemies e.g. vampires, dragons, lichs, golems etc.

Lastly the spell finger of death, how'd would you destory strong/magical opponents with this spell? I've spent countless of times casting breaching, ruby ray of reversal, Khelben's Warding Whip, lower resist and then casting finger of death. Though still the enemny is still walking. Please share your knowledge with me experienced mages
finkl_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Check here: http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/journal.html for a useful and entertaining story of a solo mage.

Can't help you with Finger of Death though, as I personally never use the spell. It should work if you've cast all those breaching-spells. Is there a saving throw which negates the effects?

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot: WELCOME! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: J'aran ]

J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 08:20 AM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by J'aran:
Check here: http://members.home.net/mrkevvy/journal.html for a useful and entertaining story of a solo mage.

Can't help you with Finger of Death though, as I personally never use the spell. It should work if you've cast all those breaching-spells. Is there a saving throw which negates the effects?

Mmmmmmmm.....if my memory is correct, Finger of Death is one of those spell that only works SOMETIMES. Good when it does, of course, but it's failure rate is so high its hardly worth bothering with, except to chuck it just on the offchance. NEVER depend on it!

Oh! And WELCOME to the forum!

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Fljotsdale ]

Old 01-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by finkl_00:
Hello, has anybody solo BG2 with a mage before??

Mage, no. Sorcerer, yes.

quote:
If so then how'd you manage to put good use your spells in fighting of enemies?, What are your combos for deposing tough enemies e.g. vampires, dragons, lichs, golems etc.

Use good use of your summoned creatures. Skeleton Warriors become your best friend. Melf's Minute Meteors takes out three of the four that you listed. Improved haste and MMM works wonders. Spells like Project Image and Simulcrum are awesome. Dragons you need a bunch of summons, lower resistance a few times, greater malison, and then spook, polymorph other, etc.

quote:
Lastly the spell finger of death, how'd would you destory strong/magical opponents with this spell? I've spent countless of times casting breaching, ruby ray of reversal, Khelben's Warding Whip, lower resist and then casting finger of death. Though still the enemny is still walking. Please share your knowledge with me experienced mages

Cast greater malison before casting finger of death, then they take the saving roll at -6. By the time you get this spell, you are fighting monsters that end up having good saving throws anyways. I rarely, if ever, use this spell. It does seem to allow 80% of the enemies to save.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:48 PM   #5
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

If you don't have the Rob of Veccna, consider getting it. If you don't know where or what it is just ask, the latest TOB patch put it in for everyone but there is a place to DL it.

As a mage, I also use 'feeblemind' when I'm going up against mages, they often save like finger of death...but when they don't you might find some joy out of it. [img]smile.gif[/img] I also enjoy polymorph other...nothing beaths Horrid Wilting tho you have to be pretty high to use it. Death Spell will kill alot of weaker things in a snap as well. Flame arrow is a good damage spell, putting a few of those in a sequencer will put the hurt on a single target...and Shadow Door is a very quick cast that can help you escape akward situations.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:08 PM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Jerhal:
If you don't have the Rob of Veccna, consider getting it. If you don't know where or what it is just ask, the latest TOB patch put it in for everyone but there is a place to DL it.

Where do you find this robe?

thanks,
Katherine
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 06:40 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

quote:

Lastly the spell finger of death, how'd would you destory strong/magical opponents with this spell? ....

Against vampires, it is imperative to wear the Amulet of Power; also, protect yourself with Stoneskin/Mantle. Hold Undead, Control Undead, and area-effect damage spells will weaken them sufficiently (especially Death Fog or Incendiary Cloud).

Dragons call for overkill: Time Stop, Spell Trigger with 3x Lower Resistance, Spell Sequencer with 3x Greater Malison, one more Greater Malison, then Minor Spell Sequencer with 2x Chromatic Orb. This has a high likelihood of success.

Liches: area effect damage spells that do not directly target the lich. Keep yourself protected with Spell Deflection/Turning, and have True Seeing handy. Spell Immunity versus Conjuration is a must.

Golems: summon lots of help.

I, personally, never use Finger of Death; it may be resisted and has a saving throw. Maze has no saving throw and will buy you a few rounds; Imprisonment solves your problem permanently.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:32 AM   #8
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

quote:
Originally posted by Katherine:

Where do you find this robe?

thanks,
Katherine

Small spoiler, tho everyone has prolly been there...

It is on a 'bonus' merchant in Ribald's shop, she is just up the steps...not the lady that sells mainly scrolls. If you have TOB, the latest patch from Bioware will put her in. If you don't I think you can dowload the extra merchants from http://www.baldurdash.com/
Old 01-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #9
Jerhal
Dungeon Master

One last thing, Cone of Cold is a very usefull spell...I wasn't using this spell for a long time and just recently discovered how effective it can be.

And speaking of the Finger of Death spell never working in your favor, tonight the Shadow Lord had a bit of a mishap casting that spell at me. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/jerhal/index.html

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Jerhal ]

Old 01-07-2002, 05:26 AM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Jerhal:
One last thing, Cone of Cold is a very usefull spell...I wasn't using this spell for a long time and just recently discovered how effective it can be.

And speaking of the Finger of Death spell never working in your favor, tonight the Shadow Lord had a bit of a mishap casting that spell at me. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/jerhal/index.html

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Jerhal ]

Lol. I have a screenshot with him in full panic. *Can control a dragon, but scared of little ole me* Big sissy.
Mitro Jellywadder is offline   Reply With Quote