Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-14-2004, 12:29 AM   #11
Animal
Gold Dragon

I've run NOS in my race car with well over 1000hp with no problems over an entire season. You just have to know how and when to use it.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:48 AM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
That depends on how big your car is. Umberto Tan and Tom Egbers won't be much of a problem, but squeezing in Mart Smeets might cause some difficulties if you own a mini, or a small Italian car.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:58 AM   #13
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Yes, it is possible... if you are crazy enough.

No, I didn't install one on my car. The TNG Warp Drive modifications took all the available space. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I was wondering. Is it possible to get NOS into your car? And if is, how?
It took a minute, then I realized how "young" most of the repliers are in this thread. First and foremost. NOS is a company, so NO you can't get a company into your car. They are the largest leading source of the Nitrous Oxide kits. they have three kits on the market.
1. For daily drivers gain of about 75hp. key= daily driver.
2. Moderate gain upto 150hp. key= mildly upgraded car.
3. race only severe gains. key= race car.
NOS does not have a complete site on the net. Here is the frontrunner Holley.
http://www.holley.com/nosnitrous/index.html

Here is a link for "Real Information on Nitrous Oxide".
http://www.idavette.net/hib/nitrous.htm

Now understand this. It takes more to going fast then just a engine mod. The transmission, and drive gear must be able to handle the extra power. Once you get the extra power delivered, how do you control it? Your suspension must be able to handle the severe increase of weight transfer, plus off center weight control if you happen to inadvertly have the system on while cornering.
Two examples of the daily driver.

1. few year old import mini-runner, 4cyl, 5 spd, sport suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes in excellent condition.

2. 20+ year old jalopy with front disc and rear drum. V8, automatic, two broke shocks, and a loose spring pac.

If you have the first choice then go ahead and experiment, on the race track first.

Brakes, it's all about the brakes. You must be able to stop. A power enhancement will strain your brakes, remember, you must be able to stop. Key= the next time you see my ride cruisin towne, and you think ohh, he's got super stupid 20" wheels, with those funny double sided slotted and drilled rotors that are twice the size of normal, that funny "Brembo" name on there, and those funny red looking pads. It ain't for looking cool, it's for stopping.

All of the hog wash that is on this thread is just that. However, you must fully understand that nitrous oxide is not a toy. Nitrous is a real power enhancer, and it delivers hp instantaniously, and through all RPMs unlike other bolt on power items.

If you go, you must re-learn how to drive a standard. If you have an auto, be careful. I have no first hand experience with nitrous and auto's, but the RPM buildup could casue the trans to act funny, and the extra power could surely rip seals, and strain bearings.

Until you fully learn how and when to use it, you will still get outrun by a more experienced driver.

Parting shot, unless you are streeting over 575, keep your puppy arse on the porch!

[ 02-14-2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:43 AM   #15
Link
Jack Burton

Johnny.. that was the corniest joke you made in a long long time.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:37 AM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
Yes cheapest horsepower going and fastest engine meltdown you can imagine!

If you wish to run NOS try running your car on jet fuel first. Most heavily worked cars need jet fuel to run but do it for a week and it will be like running NOS for about a minute. If your engine lasts with that you can do some serious modifications and then run it on NOS. Running NOS without the proper modifications is not only going to kill the engine but most certainly the car and person within also.
Hehe... I seem to recall that jet fuel is basically kerosene, you don't want to run that in your car (although maybe diesels could get away with it, don't know much about diesels). I think you're referring to aviation fuel, which is high octane gas used in aviation piston engines.

Nitrous can be safe in proper doses and with proper control. Don expect to drop a 150 shot into a civic and not blow the engine up the first time you hit the button.

A rule of thumb I've heard is not to expect to safely increase your power by more than 50%, and that's for american iron... not those high revving/high compression Japanese engines (although no doubt exceptions exist). Even on V8's you'll see wide variation in what's safe. Mustang's had forged bottom ends from the factory and could make pretty serious power without a bottom end rebuild (not sure about the new modular V8's but the 5.0's were a stout engine). I've got an LT1 Z28 and I didn't push it much past 400 hp on the stock bottom end. That was running a 75 shot on a mostly stock engine. After the rebuild I went forced induction and got rid of the nitrous.

SO... if your car is currently making 100hp, don't expect to spray and start playing with the big boys.

If your car is making 200hp you might get to 300 on juice, you'll suprise a few stock Mustangs but get your butt handed to you by all the straight line boys out there... and if it's front wheel drive you'll learn about the joys of torque steer and traction.

In my opinion, if you're a straight line guy than nitrous is a great option (but DO YOUR HOMEWORK), if you want a road car your money is better spent on suspension, tires, brakes, and chassis mods (and most importantly... TRACK TIME!). . I put probably 6 grand in my car before I added any real power.

Finally... nitrous is illegal to run on the street.

[ 02-16-2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Thoran ]
Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #17
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Don't go for nitrous, just bore out your engine or stroke it, either or both will provide loads more power and torque. Also nitrous can explode, must be refilled, and is complicated to rig up and to release in the right ammount.
*Boring out an engine will increase the capacity (as in the piston capacity in liters usually. 0.2 liters is usually large enough ammount for noticable peformance difference) this will increase power and peformance, but since it is being bored it limits the ammount of future rebuilds (that is smoothing the inside of the cylinder to remove pocks/blemishes etc.
*Stroking an engine is replacing the crank shaft and the cam shaft so that the pistons can decend further in the cylinder, thus providing power and torque. Although the engine will tend to redline at lower speeds.
*Turbo you could allways just fit a turbo, which can be "relatively" simple, but make shure you research and know that your engine can handel the increased pressure etc.
Anyway it's up to you, but I strongly reccomend you stay away from nitrous