Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

My neighbor lady has moved out, due to health problems of old age, but her kids come by frequently to the house for the mail or to get something. They have neglected to drain the three fish ponds that are in the back yard, and now the ponds are festered with brown water that is full of larvae and other insects like mosquitoes.

I heard today that it is now North Carolina law to be responsible for standing water such as this, and if someone does not comply, the law can enforce a penalty fine against the responsible party.

I would bet that with that law comes the ability to have a court order to drain the pools as well, or even sue for damages if my kids get sick, since their pools are such large breeding areas. I am just really concerned about my kids's safety and so far, the fools next door have done nothing.

I have left a note on the door this time, and have warned them that it is the law to do as I suggested concerning the pools. My next step will be with law enforcement.

Comments? Suggestions?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Call a by-law officer, they are usually the people you see to deal with this kind of issue.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

wait till they are gone and drain it myself, then fill it with cement

[ 05-26-2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Stormymystic ]
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
then fill it with cement

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
Mellagar

If you have a pet dog, let him or her pee on their mail.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well if there are fish still in there, personally I myself would not want to harm them, I'd scoop em out and put them in a bucket of their own pond water and take em to my local pet store, then spray the crap out of the ponds with some kind of insecticide. Now, if they have a pump on the pond, you can easily drain it (well not all the way but mostly) by just taking the hose from the pump out (then it just pumps the water out onto the ground rather than recycle it in the pond). This can be quickly and easily done as well, no disconnecting parts or anything, just grab the hose that is connected to the pump and lift it out of the water and to the side on the ground, trust me it's easy, a racoon did it to my pond years ago, bastaid LOL!

[ 05-26-2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Old 05-26-2004, 10:45 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Larry, I saw on a garden show that they make something called 'mosquito dunks' or 'donuts' that are these chalky things you put in ponds and birdbaths to kill mosquito larvae. They have some kind of critter embedded in them that kills the mosquitos but won't harm fish or people. Maybe you could find some of them and put them in the pond?

LadyZ had a good point about not killing the fish if she had any in the water!
Old 05-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hate to say this, but if the water is that bad, chances of there being any surviving fish are slim to none
Old 05-27-2004, 08:25 AM   #9
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

you would sue for damages?
and how would you know if your children got sick because of that specific pond.
In my opinion the note is sufficent, and if nothing is done, you may want to talk to the people if you see them getting the mail etc, and if still nothing then possibly call the local councill (i don't know what it is in America, but local government office) and have them look into it.
Well that's at least how it works over here, the police have no involvement in such things.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well having kids as well. I put my kids safety high on the priority list as I am sure you do as well Larry. I would have skipped the letter and talked to them directly if I could. Letter's IMO are not effective I am more of the type of a guy that likes to talk to people directly then you get answers asap. They will say screw you the pond is good or they may say thanks for letting us know and we will get right on it. At least you know right away and there is no delay. And as getting rid of the pond if you have too. Cloudies idea sounds good. Then drain it after that. But I would have the permission of the owners of the land though. You would not want to find your self in the trouble of the law.

Anyways Larry good luck.