Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-07-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
Marathon
Elminster

Hey guys - I just got this game and absolutely love it so far. I started with a pre-owned version and built a character without knowing much about skills (the game book didn't come with). I just picked up the GOTY version and want to re-start my character. Basically, I went with a Dark Elf, major skills: long blade (I love two handed swords), destruction, mysticism, athletics, light armor. Minor skills: speechcraft, security, sneak, acrobatics, and restoration. Took the sign of the Lady, combat as my major skill, and willpower & strength as my major attributes. I guess I want a stealthy fighter/mage that is self sufficient enough to get anywhere and eventually sneak/pick locks as needed. My questions are: Am I spreading my character too thin to begin? Since I have more skills overall that are stealth based, should I take that as my specialty, or magic to help with spell power over time? The amount of magic I have is low and very difficult to increase - I was thinking of adding conjuration to major skills and taking out something to help increase intelligence more quickly, as well as making it one of two initially boosted skills - any suggestions on this? Lastly, I like the Lady sign to boost personality and endurance (I run all the time and hate being low on stamina) - but are there better signs to take in your opinion?
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

So you pretty much want to be all three core classes [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Anyway, I'll see if I can help any. Concerning skills, I'd suggest:

Destruction
Alteration
Conjuration
(You can choose all three, two, or just one. It's up to you)

If you want to take Mysticism, it would make sense to take Enchant as well.
Any one weapon you wish to specialize in (blunt, axe, spear, bow, s. sword, or l. sword)
Any one armor you wish to specialize in (I'd suggest either light or medium).

And Sneak and Security, which you seem to have covered.

That leaves a possible one to three spaces left. Other good skills include:
Alchemy, Speechcraft, Mercantile, or either of the other two schools of magic.

Attributes that may suit your character better: intelligence and agility. Though, these are completely optional. If you find strength and willpower work better, go for it. If you're planning on doing a little one-on-one combat, be sure to have a reasonable agility score.

And finally, your birthsign. The Lady is nice, I think most people prefer to take that because it lacks any disadvantages. The Apprentice, the Astronach, the Lover, the Steed, or the Warrior would also be good choices.

But if you don't want to change anything, that's fine. When I play, I usually stick to playing as one class, so I'm not entirely used to balancing a character between all three. What you have seems fine, though, having athletics and acrobatics as a major/minor skill is a tad unneccessary. Those are the two skills that advance the most. So when time comes that you get a level up, you may find that you don't get those nice xn multipliers for attributes.

But do what you want. The great thing about Morrowind, is that you're allowed to experiment. Make as many characters as you need, until you find the one you like.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:10 AM   #3
Oruboris

My honest opinion: if you want to do ANY magic [other than using enchanted items], you have to do the atronach.

The most important issue for me is having several useful, trainable skills that are NOT majors or minors: That way you can practice or train them up without fear of premature leveling, and assure that you earn 3 5x multiplyers every level.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

I second what Oruboris said about magic. If you want to use magic extensively, you should either pick Breton or Altmer as a race, or pick either the Apprentice or the Atronach ( or possibly the Mage) as a birthsign. You see, you don't gain any more magicka points when you level up, so the only way to raise it is to raise your intelligence score when you level up or use potions to temporarely raise your your intelligence and magicka. The races and birthsign I mentioned before assures you that you start with more magicka than you otherwise would.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Marathon
Elminster

Thanks guys - great advice - I wasn't clear about the multiplier when leveling up - I thought only major/minor skills were used in the multiplier. Being that the lack of enough magic points to be effective was my biggest gripe, I should change race. I checked out a Breton last night, and the only real negative I saw to going that route was a lower long blade skill, which I assume I could level quickly. Another question - would picking Illusion & Alteration be good enough to take the place of security/stealth (to get chamelon/open)?
Old 05-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Probably not.
The spells as they are (not customized) are pretty lacking. Like I said earlier, it's been a while since I've played, but I believe chameleon as a spell only gives minimal coverage and for a short period of time (though, there is an item which is much better). And open, I believe, only opens low-leveled locks (such as 15 or below).
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
Chris77Se
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanobyte:
Probably not.
The spells as they are (not customized) are pretty lacking. Like I said earlier, it's been a while since I've played, but I believe chameleon as a spell only gives minimal coverage and for a short period of time (though, there is an item which is much better). And open, I believe, only opens low-leveled locks (such as 15 or below).
The Open Spell, which you can buy opens locks up to 50. Of course you can make open spells with more power, but they cost incredible lots of Mana and are quite difficult to cast.

Chris

[ 05-08-2004, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Chris77Se ]
Chris77Se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
Oruboris

I've found it very easy to open stuff, almost too easy, except for the rare 100 point door.

You will trian security to get int. bonuses anyway, and once it hits 50 or so, a good number of 50point locks will open instantly even when you are using the lowest level of lockpick.

And lockpicks show up SO regularly you soon stop bothering to pick them up, except as a sale item.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Marathon
Elminster

Another stupid question for the people with patience - how do you get your magic back if you pick the Atronarch as your sign? I assume potions & magic absorbtion, but I'm early enough in the game I haven't seen any magic enemies. I have a Breton Mage/Warrior type, got ambushed by an assasin, and used most of my magic to survive. Hadn't seen restore magic potions yet, but hadn't really been looking for them.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:13 PM   #10
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Go to any trader ( preferably an alchemist ) and buy mana potion from them. anyway with atronach sign, your mana will go up when enemies shoot spell at you.

try going to a dwemer ruin or a tomb, there'll be magic enemies there.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote