Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-16-2004, 04:41 AM   #1
spydar

So, I'm going to Belize for a field school in May. I'm going to be spending my mornings (7-12) wandering around the jungle, my head crained upward to watch and record the howler monkeys (aka: tree cows). the afternoons I plan to spend on the beach, and the evening (before going to bed early so I can wake up at 5am the next day) I'll be doing my homework.

Now, this will be my first trip abroad, not including the time I went to Michigan when I was 4 because that doesn't count since I don't remember it. What I need to know is anything about that area of the world (central america) from others who have been there. what to watch out for, what'll be useful, places to see (we have 2 weeks after the school stuff to travel and I'm thinking of going to Guatemala and/or Costa Rica). I already know I need Hep A shots and malaria pills and stuff, so absolutely ANY travel tips is appreciated.

Thanx peoples!!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

don't drink the water! lol

good luck, no real advice from me. i hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Good luck, man! Um, don't eat anything you cant identify!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
I already know I need Hep A shots and malaria pills and stuff, so absolutely ANY travel tips is appreciated.
Make sure you call the people that'll give you the shots as soon as possible, because you need to take some of them several months before you travel. When I travelled to Chile I had to take the Hep A shot a month before, I think. [img]smile.gif[/img] I'd also suggest that you ask the people working there what things you should avoid... They're quite good at giving advice for specific countries.
This is advice I got when I travelled to Chile (from a doctor that who with us): avoid drinking water (bottled water is okay); and eating anything you can buy on the stands, such as fruit (that's because they often pour water on the fruit to keep it fresh - fruit that you can peel is okay I think), prepared meals, ... Basically just watch what kind of things you eat and where you eat them (what kinds of restaurants). And try to avoid getting bitten by bugs (and monkeys in your case [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
John M
Welcomed New User

My youngest son went to San Jose Costa Rica for a semister.He lived with a family there for a couple of months.He loved it,of course he's a surfer which is what he did every wkend there.Matt ,my youngest,and his older brother go back there every year for from 2 wks to a month just traveling down the pacific coast and back up the caribian side.They love it! So you should have a ball.They rent small apartments near the beach for about 10 bucks .Good luck have fun ..
Old 11-18-2004, 03:50 AM   #6
spydar

Thanks for all the advice guys, I had never even thought about trying to surf while down there.
We've been advised to bring some non-perishable food with us for the actual field school, but while I'm travelling I'll have to be a lot more careful I guess.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:45 AM   #7
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Stockpile Oreos! I don't think they grow there...