Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
tower
The Magister

Uhm, not like most RPG's can be played proffesionaly, i am mainly asking about CS, UT2k3, W3:Frozen Throne and so on. Is it really worth it?
I knew about a guy called Fatal1ty, grewat Quacke 3 player from America who moved to Unreal when Quake wass losing its popularity, and mostly it wasn't included any more in profesional gaming events (World Cup Games, Computer Athelete's Professional League and so on) and recently moved to CS, just because OF THE CASH AWARDS. So pro-gaming is becomg a way of life: a job and a hobby, eating most of the time of people "practicing" it. And a lot of people aresponsoring it, encouraging people to become lost from the real world. I mean i am not totally against it, but i believe that it is becoming too serious. Of course, if one is smart enough he can be a pro-gamer without becoming a skinny psycotic maniac, if they arrange their time. And what's surprising me is that a lot of people over 20-22 are pro-gamers; i would have expected younger people.
Anyway what do you guys think? Should it be encouraged? Do you think that it will be accepted as a job in society (not likely)? Insert thoughts here pls [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

And how is being a professional Quake3 player different from being a pro football player? Both play a game for a living and devote most of their time to it. The only difference is that the footballer plays in front of a crowd of thousands, using physical objects. The quake3 player plays in front of a crowd in the tens using virtual objects. But both are just playing a game.

Society probably regards the quake3 player as strange while they accept the footballer as some kind of hero. But then society has always been slow to accpt new things. Bet you in a centuries time pro-gamers enjoy a status approaching that of other sportsmen, and some new craze is looked down on as strange and for weirdos.
Old 09-27-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

well Andrewas had the point there. and i think its cool if ya can live on playing a game but seriously it should just be a hobby get a normal job cus when ya get older ya wont manage it anymore..
Old 09-27-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

well, if you can find someone who is willing to sponsor you and there's some tournament which pay good prizes. why not? I know in Star Craft you can turn pro and go to South Korea for the tournament.

The thing is that since the term Pro [insert game name] Player is still new, you have to swallow your dignity. When someone ask you " what's your job? ". the other people will usually look at you with a strange face when you reply " I'm a professional [insert game name] player. "
Old 09-27-2003, 06:00 PM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Well, I have the WC Quake 3 on DVD. Those guys are really skilled, and I have alot of respect for them.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
Zero Alpha

I'd love to see the Tornaments televised. with some decent directing, i think it could finaly bring gaming into the light of aceptable work. after all, if you can have an intense and skilled battle, surely you could televise it and bring it to thousands instead of tens of people. .
Old 10-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #7
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

ive also heard of fatal1ty he kicks ass at unreal tournment id like to be a pro gamer too...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:25 PM   #8
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Well, I have the WC Quake 3 on DVD. Those guys are really skilled, and I have alot of respect for them.
Where did you get those dvds from. I would like to see some of these pros in action.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Where did you get those dvds from. I would like to see some of these pros in action. [/QUOTE]
I think you'll be a lot cheaper off, if you just download the replays ....

Although having a DVD of QIII matches does have its charmes ....

Watching QIII with your girlfriend on a friday evening LoL!!!

[ 10-01-2003, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Zuvio ]
Old 10-01-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

LOL yeah friday night and WCIII replays. I could just wait till the wife grabs the remote and changes it. Well I have watched alot of gosu WC III replays. But it would be nice to see it in a docementry style. Seeing the players in real life playing these games.