Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Default If you asked anybody else, it's the only game out this month.

Halo 3. Who has it? Who loves it? Who hates the vile, despicable name? Who doesn't understand those darn kids who play it?

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: If you asked anybody else, it's the only game out this month.

The other two were unremarkable.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Mmmm...thought that would be the reaction I got here, and that's how I know this place is home

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It might have been cool as a console game, but I rate games by the whole. It was nothing compared to Half-life or Doom2 in regards to revolutionary design, and to be honest, gameplaywise, what was the difference between Doom2 and Halo?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

If you can't tell Halo from Doom 2, gameplaywise, you don't know the genre.

For starters, it doesn't control the same, it handles health differently, it has a different kind of level design, it has different weapon carrying/switching systems and uses a different number of dimensions. These things matter, gameplaywise.

Never been awfully fond of the series myself. Does seem it does a couple of interesting things, such as that campaign metagame and the forge multiplayer mode, and 2-4 player co-op should be pleasant. However, SEGA Rally is also released this week
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

I think as a console shooter it is probably best of breed... but it's run of the mill compared to PC shooters.

Co-op mp is something that should be in EVERY mp shooter that has an sp campaign... so I say bravo to them for including that.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarf View Post
For starters, it doesn't control the same, it handles health differently, it has a different kind of level design, it has different weapon carrying/switching systems and uses a different number of dimensions. These things matter, gameplaywise.
You walk, you shoot, what's the difference?
Level designs are equally boring and lineair.
Carrying/switching? Since when has that made a big difference? I didnt really use anything but the plasma rifle in Halo. And the third dimension isn't used enough to constitute a difference.

So I guess the dumbed down health system is the only difference that matters.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

I think TF2 and Crysis are both far more significant FPS titles if you're looking at the genre as a whole.

But I can tell you for certain that Halo3 is going to sell a bazillion copies.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrKASperov View Post
You walk, you shoot, what's the difference?
Level designs are equally boring and lineair.
Carrying/switching? Since when has that made a big difference? I didnt really use anything but the plasma rifle in Halo. And the third dimension isn't used enough to constitute a difference.

So I guess the dumbed down health system is the only difference that matters.
Like I said, I'm not awfully fond of the games. I haven't played them lots and lots. It was my impression that the levels in the Halo games are fairly linear checkpoint/encounter based, whereas in Doom you have more puzzly bits and exploration within each level. The Doom games have, IMO, pretty excellent level design, but I do appreciate more encounter based levels as well, which along with the health system makes for a more forgiving game (less likely to not manage that boss because you messed up and lost too much health at the beginning of the level and such -- it can still be fun when you're in over your head, banging your head against an encounter until you make it through, rather than until you think you might have gotten through with enough health and ammo for the rest of the level to be viable).

Having to pick 2 weapons, rather than being able to collect every weapon and carry them makes a difference, your preference notwithstanding. As does being able to throw grenades and doing melee attacks without switching weapon.

As for "you walk, you shoot," that's just nonsense. You walk and shoot in Worms as well. Controls are extremely essential to gameplay, and the games don't control the same way (although some of this has been "addressed" in later ports of the Doom engine).

If I wanted to play Doom 2 but wasn't able to, I wouldn't want to play some Halo, considering it some alright substitute, because it doesn't really play the same. You might not feel the same way about just that, but there really is a certain amount of gameplay elements and mechanics that aren't the same in both games. Whether it adds up to an in your opinion total difference big enough to consider Halo a gameplaywise different game than Doom 2 isn't all that relevant.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarf View Post
As for "you walk, you shoot," that's just nonsense. You walk and shoot in Worms as well. Controls are extremely essential to gameplay, and the games don't control the same way (although some of this has been "addressed" in later ports of the Doom engine).
Honestly, you totally missed the point about this (and my main) argument, which is that both games don't have anything to offer but walking and shooting. In that regard, having a few gameplay differences doesn't matter much.