Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-29-2000, 01:56 AM   #41
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

BUMP

Bringing this to the top. I caught it freefalling at page 4...
Old 11-29-2000, 02:16 AM   #42
Shaene

Str 9
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 12
Wis 16
Cha 15

Class Bard
Alignment Chaotic Neutral
Weapon Proficies Katana (did some Kendo awhile back)

Old 11-29-2000, 08:03 AM   #43
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Alright seeing people were complaining and after looking at subsequent posts I should adjust my stat line a bit. Didn't want to look inferior to the first couple.
Strength- 13 I'm male and solidly built so reasonably strong and I do a lot of lifting with my arms but I don't work out so basically average strength. Hard one to judge. Well Aerie is strength 10 and I think I'd have to be stronger than her.
Intelligence- 15 I'm university educated, Extremely literate and well read and can figure out problems and at least understand most things. Most definitely smarter than the average person.
Wisdom- 15 18 was probably exaggerating a bit but I've been through a lot in my twenty three years and I know I think things through before I do them. Usually I use my wisdom too much and miss out on fun because of the potential risks.
Dexterity- 10 Again average. Not really agile and my sports skills range from dire to satisfactory. Good fine detail skill though.
Constitution- 14 Only a little overweight and I have a naturally srtrong metabolism. I can carry on functioning with very little food or sleep and I practically never get sick.
Charisma- 16 Way better looking than the average person, a really nice guy to boot, no one hates me and I'm also a professional actor so I know how to communicate and convince people to do things.
There that's pretty accurate now
Old 11-29-2000, 10:31 AM   #44
Rikard

Since i've changed my name to Kaël (and becoming a god helps) i've change my stats
those are str 21
dex 16
con 4 (hit me and i'll die but you can't hit me i'm a god remember)
int 16
wis 12
chr 8 (people don't trust people with flaming hair or something

Old 11-29-2000, 10:54 AM   #45
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Rikard, I mean Kael, how many incarnations do you have? Is Kael your avatar or something.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:17 AM   #46
Rikard

the first was a bit unreal as that guy (?) said so the second counted and the last counted
HAHA

Old 11-29-2000, 02:12 PM   #47
Morninglord

I think almost everyone that have posted in this thread needs to re-read Astaroths earlier post, thus I copy and paste it here:

"You all need to be realistic, How many of you had Intelligence of 17 or 18??
An 18 intelligence represents the most intelligent human potential can achieve! You all are a bunch of freakin einsteins out there. And 18 constitution and ST that's alot of Arnolds in a BG II forum! And if you had Charisma 18, you would be a superstar or President or something. Be more realistic! These characters are born and raised in a vicious world with constant physical strain. An 18 stat is THE best a human could get, while a 10 is AVERAGE! Don't tell me ALL OF YOU are well above average in all stats? We are really taking it for granted...These would be my stats I guess:
Strength 11
Dexterity 12
Constitution 9
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 12
Charisma 13
And I consider myself pretty smart. You people have been taking your guys killer physical and mental conditions for granted, There is a reason they are world adventurer's and monster slayers and you are not."

A BIG thanks to Astaroth for saying those things and pointing out to the ones posting here how stupid you sound when you say you have an intelligence of 18. You really don't know HOW much that is. Not to mention that a survey made among the American people (well, that was yanks, but still =) showed that 90% of the population thought they belonged to the smartest 10%. Your guys posts here is pretty much the same thing. And its even more hilarious to see that you think that just because you study at college ("duh I do chemistry and I can program in C++!") you think you have an intelligence of 16-18!

I am terribly sorry if I do sound offensive or so in my post, that is not my intention, but you all need to get over yourselves aswell as starting to play some of the AD&D roleplaying game as opposed to Baldurs Gate, THEN you might understand how much 16-18 really is.

And lastly, training with latex swords is a bit different than training with real swords, [twistj] =)

/Morninglord of Sweden

P.S My ability scores then?

Str 8
Dex 9
Con 12
Int 11
Wis 12
Cha 9

And no, having one ability score of 13-14 or 15 isn't SO uncommon, but having 3 ability scores above 14, now THAT is uncommon.

Old 11-29-2000, 03:48 PM   #48
drezden

For all those that debated how common certain ability scores are, here are the probability percentiles for them (i.e. similar to an SAT percentile the score is the percentage of people you did better than), using 3d6:

18 .... 99.54%
17 .... 98.15%
16 .... 95.37%
15 .... 90.74%
14 .... 83.80%
13 .... 74.07%
12 .... 62.50%
11 .... 50.00% (1/2 scores are 3-10, 1/2 are 11-1
10 .... 37.50%
9 .... 25.93%
8 .... 16.20%
7 .... 9.26%
6 .... 4.63%
5 .... 1.85%
4 .... 0.46%
3 .... 0.00% (no one could get LESS than 3)

Hope this is helpful. Don't forget women, children, elderly people are all part of the general human comparison group. So, most men in the 18-30 age group should be able to have at least 12 in the physical attributes. If you are only an 8 strength, then what would your grandmother be??

The scores that are really rare are 16 and above; especially to have multiple scores that high. Bonus stat the odds on having 18s across the board 1 in 101 trillion.

Old 11-29-2000, 04:47 PM   #49
nimzo
Welcomed New User

I put my intelligence at 17. It may really be 16 (I wish my player character would just show me my sheet ), but I’ll try to justify the 17.

1380 on the SAT, 690 Verbal and 690 Math. That was in 1992 before they made it kind of easier and changed the scoring formula. 29 on the ACT. One thing that you have to keep in mind on these tests is that even if you are in the 95th percentile, that is the 95th percentile of those who take the tests, not the total population, many of whom cannot even read well enough to try a test like the SAT. A 95th percentile on the SAT may well be better than 98 or 99 percent of the population could do, especially if you factor in third world countries or consider the breadth of education available in our modern society compared to that available to the typical commoner in a D&D setting.

I joined the Navy and passed Nuclear Field A School for Electronics Technicians and Nuclear Power School, which supposedly are on a par of difficulty roughly equivalent to Rice University in Houston. However, I know for a fact from my associations in nuke school that I don’t have an 18 intelligence. I’m sure I met at least two guys who did though. One never even took notes in class and still had the highest GPA in the school. Rumor was he had a photographic memory. The other guy took notes but was still a genius if I ever met one. They surely weren’t as smart as Einstein, Oppenheimer, or Richard Feinman, but I think there is probably some degree of variance even among the 18 Intelligence crowd. Einstein probably had an 18/00 Intelligence, if there is such a thing, whereas my Navy buddies were more like 18/15 or so.

I made straight A’s at my community college (Why go to a community college if I’m so smart? A wife and two kids made the flexible schedule a necessity) and passed about 60 hours worth of various CLEP exams. I just read the study guide and took the test, then walked away with some college credits. Some of you should try it too.

Weapon of choice: Glock 17 with a 17 round mag of hollowpoint 9’s. I shot so well on the concealed carry license test that they joked that I found a new way to cheat. I put a hole of about 5 inches across in the chest of the paper target at 9 feet, then when they moved the target back to 50, if I missed completely I could just say the bullet went through the hole. I was a pretty good shot with a boy in high school and also was a pretty accurate dart thrower. I could also hit the tree pretty well playing with shuriken when just a lad, if any of that helps to justify a 13 Dex.

I also like to do some of the karate katas I remember when I’m warming up to exercise. I put my stationary bike in front of my laptop and TV so whenever I’m goofing around I can get in a little low impact exercise at the same time. Matter of fact, I’m pedaling as I write now. I would adjust my Constitution up but the fact is that if I lived in the middle ages as in the D&D realm, I would have been dead probably 3 times over from illnesses that were cured by modern antibiotics. But then again, the local cleric does wonders, I hear.

One thing I would also note is that even as smart as I like to think I am, I still find AD&D and these Baldur’s Gate games not only intellectually stimulating, but also challenging. I would suggest it likely that players of Dungeons and Dragons on the whole have a much higher intelligence than would likely be found in any average random cross section of society. 18 is probably over doing it, but 16 and 17 may not be unreasonable.
Old 11-29-2000, 04:51 PM   #50
nimzo
Welcomed New User

OOps, weird typo. I wasn't really a pretty good shot with a boy in high school. My girlfriend would had killed me if I was. I was fair with a bow, however.