Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 03-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Awakening - Game shutting down.

After installing the expansion for DAO - I have now experienced a LOT of game crashes and I wanted to hear if I am the only one ( cause then I need to re-install ) alas I do believe its the expansion and I am hoping for a patch soon.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Awakening - Game shutting down.

I've had only one crash, and that was using the Sleep + Horror spell combo. It hit the bandit, and BAM. crash.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

*I think I am currently at crash number 19 over 4 days...its annoying.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 03-30-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
Epona
Zartan

No you're not the only one, the game was very stable for me before I patched to 1.03 and installed Awakening.

Although tbh it is hard for me to tell, my current gaming PC has 2 processors positioned close together so extremely limited cooling options, my flat gets warm, and it's getting to that time of year when it starts overheating... I really need to start saving for a new 'puter.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm getting crashes with Awakening too.

Mostly they occur during fights when there are a lot of spells and instructions flying about.

This did not happen in Origins so I am inclined to suspect that the culprit is the game itself or the 1.03 patch rather than my PC.

It is annoying. I find now that I am having to save game much more often than I would normally.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

The game keep on giving me memory error at launch. Uninstall and reinstall it gives no remedy. Me thinks it's better I return this game to the game shop before I make myself bald.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:16 AM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I sincerely doubt it is the PC - mine is a fully updated quad core with 8 gig ram and a 2 gig videocard - if that is the culprit I will hang myself in the attic...

I also have the feeling it happens during fights alot - and it is a pain since I am a really bad savegamer...

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah My PC before Patch 1.03 ran the game fine. Now during fights the whole game slows down to a crawl.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

I have to go with T-D-C I'm running a Intel Core i7 960 with 6 GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory over clocked to 3.6Ghz with 2 crossfire ATI Radeon 5870 video cards with a 1200 W power supply and as I start any battle the computer would go into slow motion and 1 out of 5 times it would do a stop and go freeze then just freeze all together.
This never happened until I added the 1.03 Patch so I took the save game file copied it and uninstalled the game reinstalled and dropped the save games back in started at a slightly earlier save then where the freeze occurred and haven't had any trouble since.
I suggest don't apply the 1.03 Patch if you want to play. At least not until Bioware & EA does a fix.
For the $40.00 charge for the upgrade to Expansion and Then making us pay for storage of loot Dragon Age is really starting to stink.
Dan
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I found this while browsing the tech support forums on Bioware.

This is mostly applicable to AMD multi proc computers - so for my instance a Quad 3.0 needed some tweaking - I am about to test it out now to see if it works.

Fix for Crashing to Desktop on Multi-core systems (also slows the memory leakage)
This applies especially to AMD processors but also affects some Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 quads!
For dual core set to CPU 1 only, for quad core set to CPU 2 and 3, for i7s set to 4, 5, 6, and 7.

Set processor affinity
Open windows Task Manager. Right click on the Taskbar of your windows vista desktop and select Task Manager or press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Windows Task Manager
Click on the Processes tab
Click on the Show processes from all users button, at the bottom
Click the Continue button for UAC prompt
Right click the process (application) whose processor affinity you want to change
Click Set Affinity
Check the CPU(s) that you want the process (application) to run on and click OK

"Unleash the Casey!"