Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
Kezardin
Elminster

Default Offline Patching Paranoia

Greetings,

wondering if someone can solve a conundrum.

Had NWN2 installed on previous computer, and was an unhappy victim of the MOTB/patch problem fiasco. Was able to reinstall succesfully in spite of conflicting advice on the net.

New PC obtained for Xmas, and am thinking of installing NWN2 & MOTB

Somewhat annoyed to find there are *still* conflicting installation instructions for these puppies.

I've got all the patches on the HDD, since I have to patch offline.

Any advice on which of these two instruction sets is closest to the truth ?

A - install NWN2 (no patch)
- install MOTB (no patch)
- install appropriate PCX1 modfix
- install all incremental patches from 1101115 through to 1211549

or

B - install NWN2
- patch to 1101115
- install MOTB
- install remainder of patches

Thanx

Last edited by Kezardin; 05-08-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: Offline Patching Paranoia

G'day Kezardin

I've definitely had my own fair share of this paranoia...

I'd go for option A). Mask of the Betrayer contains it's own set of updates in the package. (Mine got me to about 1.20, IIRC)

Due to my decidedly slow internet connection, I also had to go for the patching offline option when doing an install of NWN2 and both expansions recently. This was after I'd encountered game stopping bugs in the OC towards the end after excitedly installing MotB straight after buying it and then playing on without further patching. (All entirely my fault!) Had to do a clean installation after this.

I only ever experienced another problem when I tried to continue patching offline without grabbing that whopping 330 meg vofix update. The autoupdater would stop half way and tell me a file was missing. I solved this by getting a friend with better internet to grab that one for me, patching, then auto-updating the rest to current 1.22 glory. No issues encountered as yet though I may have rolled a 1 for initiative there...still turning over party ideas for Storm of Zehir!

Good luck conquering the paranoia Kezardin! (When in doubt, research more forums and read other stories too, they're always an invaluable source.)

Here's a handy link for anyone looking for the patches, all set out neatly in sequential order. (Though I think a link or two may be broken towards the end)

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view....Detail&id=230

Edit: Whey, Edwin and Safiya be praised! I've been allowed into the power-hungry society of Thay.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 05-08-2009 at 04:13 PM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Kezardin
Elminster

Default Re: Offline Patching Paranoia

Howdy CD,

thanks for the advice

I was thinking of getting SOZ, which is why I'm reinstalling NWN2 & MOTB.

The problem with MOTB wasn't your fault - the expansion *should* install and update to the latest version, not spit the dummy if the original game has the 'wrong' patch installed.

My problem was that I hadn't patched it enough beforehand

Regarding vofix, I was wondering why I'd seen suggestions about moving that particular zip file from the data directory before installing SOZ.

Hmmm.... might be leaving SOZ on the shelf, methinks.

P.S. congrats on your elevation to Thay-dom. You'll cut quite the figure in Ballarat in your new 'Red Threads'

Last edited by Kezardin; 05-09-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote