Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-23-2001, 01:18 PM   #1
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok well iv decided to make a game with an assasin, the 7x backstab damage intrigues me.

But I gots me a problem. A few actually.

Ok well:
1) backstab damage occurs when you are hidden in shadows and then attack something right? If you attack them from a distance with auto attack..will it revela you before you actually hit them, ending the backstab damage?

2) what good is move silently? doews that make you able to stay in hide in shadows mode when ltos of people are aroun?

3) does it matter waht weapon you use to backstab? can i still backstab with a katana? a ninja to? a scmitar?

4) ok i know there is the weapon proficiency to improve using a one handed weap overall, and one to make you have less penalties using two one handed weapons.
if i put a proficiency in both of those, will i still get the bonuses from the single weapon style if i have two one handers equipped?

5) I HATE MINDLFLAYERS! So far iv gotten two games past them, but i find whenever there is a battgle with 2 or more flayers i have to either save and thenf giht them about 40 times over before i win, or i have to invis my party with invis 10', then use the control collars on one to open the door, then use hide in shadows to get my mans afe again, and continue like that till i reach the end. Is there some trick i dont know about? A spell that they arent immune to? (iv tried every spell in my mages book, everything is either resisted or does like 2 damage)

6) In the Viconia romance, i heard it dies like later in the game, even though she stays in your group. In TOB does it pick back up again? If so is there something thats important to do to make ti come back? Can you tell it to me without spoiling too much?

Thanks so much for answering these, and even mroe thanks tot hose of you who have helped me in my previous four or five postss wiht various noobie questions like this.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:50 PM   #2
Tancred
White Dragon

Oh, gawd... erm, I'll try...

1) Yes, attacking someone forces you out of the shadows. Make sure you are RIGHT behind the backstabbee when you attack them - the shadows will only last a few seconds.

2)Not sure - but as far as I understand it, Hide In Shadows is the skill that allows you to hide, but if you move around there is a greater risk that you will be spotted. Move Silently affects that risk factor. Improve both of them simultaneously and you shouldn't have much of a problem.

3) Yes! Only certain weapons can be used to backstab - I know katanas, spears, halberds, clubs, maces, flails and quarterstaves don't work. I have no idea where there might be a list of nonbackstabbable weapons. Stick to longswords, shortswords and daggers and you should be ok.

4) Nope. You either get the bonus for using one weapon or the ability to use two. I guess the Single Weapon proficiency is something to do with using your open hand to ward and deflect blows.

5) A sufficiently powerful Cleric can cast the level 5 spell Chaotic Commands, which renders the recipient immune to Charm. There are also several weapons and pieces of armour that render the user immune to Charm - Lilarcor the sword, the Helmet of Charm Protection and others. As far as the Mindflayers' intelligence draining powers go, try to keep any low-INT characters out of the fight, and concentrate in taking down one Mindflayer at a time, either by focussing your party on one or luring them out one at a time.

6) And lastly, yes - the Viconia romance carries on with new stuff in Tob!

Hope this helps, sah!
Old 09-23-2001, 02:12 PM   #3
Player Offender
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks man, you answered most everything i need. BUt now the big quesiton i need answered is what is a weapoon that you can sue to backstab?

And say im dual wielding one that you can backstab in main hand and one you cant in off hand. Will it still work?
Old 09-23-2001, 02:20 PM   #4
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Player Offender:
Thanks man, you answered most everything i need. BUt now the big quesiton i need answered is what is a weapoon that you can sue to backstab?

And say im dual wielding one that you can backstab in main hand and one you cant in off hand. Will it still work?
Um. Long swords, short swords and daggers can backstab, and I think ninjatos and bastard swords can too, but don't quote me on this.

As for the dual-wielding thing, it will all depend on which weapon lands the blow. If you hit with the backstabbing weapon you will backstab the target, but if you hit with the other weapon it won't work - and you will be revealed to the enemy into the bargain! A bit of a pain, but there you go!

------------------
I don't know any more than you do about that.
Old 09-23-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
Mirac Honorguard
Red Wizard of Thay

on point 2) move silently can betray your hiding in shadows, bard have the standard ability of detect noise, they can hear you if you have a low percentage of move silently. It's one of those thief and bard skills nobody knows and/or can/will use, just like climbing walls (never had to do that in SoA)

------------------
There's something in your eyes, ah no, I see now, it's the reflection of my deadly gaze - Mirac Honorguard
(Necromancer)
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/mirac