Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: NWN2: First run through

Hey Kez Funny you should mention that. I had to take a level of red dragon disciple to meet the minimum base attack level for a duelist (+6). This also lets me acquire the ranks in parry for half price (class skill). That leaves dodge and mobility feats to acquire (which might take a while) and 5 ranks in tumble (not a class skill). Is there perhaps a better intermediate class choice to help me meet the duelist minimum reqs a bit faster? How often do RDD's acquire bonus feats? I think that'll be the hurdle...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
Kezardin
Elminster

Howdy Sever,

Not many classes give you bonus feats - fighter earns them quickest, followed by divine champion.

Under D&D 3.5, you have to be careful when multi-classing using the 'base' classes. Race, favoured class and differences between base class levels can bite you via an experience point penalty if you're not careful.

Fortunately prestige classes like RDD and Duelist don't count towards the penalty.

In the following options, you'll get XP penalties unless :

- the race of your character has a favoured class of 'any' (human, half elf, half drow) or 'sorcerer' (wild elf)

*or*

- it's a race that has favoured class 'fighter' (dwarf, genasi) and you only take fighter levels.

Simple, wot ?

Since you're now lvl 11, you could take take fighter at lvl 12, using the bonus feat and the 'normal' feat you'll get for 12th level to take both dodge and mobility at the same time.

Or, if you have a save, you could reload and take fighter at lvl 11 (dodge as bonus feat & parry as class skill) and either rogue or bard at lvl 12 (mobility feat, tumble as a class skill and some extra skill points to distribute). Duelist (or RDD) would then be your 4th class.

Another possibility if you have a save is to take fighter at both 11th and 12th lvl - two bonus feats plus your 'normal' lvl 12 feat. And you can add both RDD and duelist classes later.

From memory (uh oh !!! ) you need DEX 13+ for both dodge and mobility.

Last edited by Kezardin; 05-08-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Sever

I did think about a fighter class to gain those two feats, but isn't dodge a pre-req to mobility? Wasn't sure you could get both in the same level, and i don't really want to take too much time out from levelling the sorceror class. It may still be the quickest option though. Dexterity isn't a problem. I always favour dex for armour bonuses in classes which don't wear armour, so dex is high, and because of that, i already chose the weapon finesse feat (another pre-req to duelist).

Rogue too was a valid option, but again, i don't want to have too many intermediate classes. Thanks to the modified intelligence you provided earlier, not having tumble as a class skill isn't a major hurdle. I can get that in two levels with the 6 skill points i'm now getting.

Even with the nice stat bonuses, RDD isn't the path i wanna take with this character. I might reload and try the fighter as the intermediate class. So, as a human sorc multi'ing to a fighter, am i going to get an xp penalty?
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #14
Kezardin
Elminster

Howdy Sever,

humans have no problems if you only have 2 base classes.

You'll get two feats if you take fighter at 12th level - the one you normally get every 3 levels and the bonus one from the fighter level. Take dodge first, then mobility.

If you reload and take fighter at 11th level, that's dodge covered (by the bonus feat) , and from there level as sorcerer (taking mobility at 12th lvl) until duelist becomes an option.

Or take a second fighter level at 12th for better BAB, another bonus feat (mobility) and you have your normal feat to do as you wish)

Last edited by Kezardin; 05-08-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #15
Sever

Reload->fighter 11th->fighter 12th->duelist it is.

Thanks heaps Kez.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 05-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

Monk/Bard/ RDD rules.

Eventually.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #17
Kezardin
Elminster

@ Sever

no worries

@ Greything

"The character was kung-fu singing,
all the baddies ears were ringing,
could either kick some boo-tay,
or just strum his lute, ay?"

Last edited by Kezardin; 05-08-2009 at 09:42 PM.